Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's A Social Thing > Open Mike

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
COWS4YOU

COWS4YOU has disabled reputation

Default It's the Happy Kwanzaa Chat Thread

It's December 26th and that means...

The year 2011 will see the 46th annual Kwanzaa, the African American holiday celebrated from December 26 to January 1. It is estimated that some 18 million African Americans take part in Kwanzaa. Kwanzaa is not a religious holiday, nor is it meant to replace Christmas. It was created by Dr. Maulana "Ron" Karenga, a professor of Black Studies, in 1966. At this time of great social change for African Americans, Karenga sought to design a celebration that would honor the values of ancient African cultures and inspire African Americans who were working for progress. Kwanzaa is based on the year-end harvest festivals that have taken place throughout Africa for thousands of years. The name comes from the Swahili phrase "matunda ya kwanza," which means "first fruits of the harvest." Karenga chose a phrase from Swahili because the language is used by various peoples throughout Africa.

Today, Kwanzaa is given a national holiday status in America. It is probably one of the very few festivals celebrated by people belonging to any religion. It does not promote any religious principles but propogates moral principles of unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose and faith.

Listed below are some interesting facts about Kwanzaa:

*Dr. Maluana Karenga established Kwanzaa in 1966 to unite the black community.
*The festival derives its name from the Swahili word “matunda ya kwanza” which translates as “fresh fruits”.
*It is celebrated for seven days from December 26 to January 1 every year.
*Seven candles are lit on seven consecutive days. These candles are placed on a candleholder called kinara, which in turn is placed on top of a straw mat called mkeka.
*The festival is represented by three different colors. Black signifies the skin color of the people, red symbolizes their struggle and green signifies hope for the future.
*A unity cup called kikombe cha umoja is also placed on the mkeka. It is used to pour tambiko as a tribute and remembrance to the ancestors.
*Even the mazao (crops) are placed on the mkeka along with other African objects. This is to remind people of their African roots, cultures and traditions.
*The first Kwanzaa stamp was launched in 1997.

Kwanzaa culminates in a big feast on the last evening of the holiday, on December 31. Called Karamu, it is celebrated with festive songs, dance, toasts, prayers, and a feast of foods.

Happy Kwanzaa!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Webkinz :)

babykittyricky knows no boundsbabykittyricky knows no bounds
babykittyricky knows no boundsbabykittyricky knows no boundsbabykittyricky knows no boundsbabykittyricky knows no boundsbabykittyricky knows no boundsbabykittyricky knows no bounds

Default Re: It's the Happy Kwanzaa Chat Thread

Hey !
babykittyricky is offline Female
Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
COWS4YOU

View Post Originally Posted by babykittyricky
Hey !
congrats on 1st post
View Post Originally Posted by Goldendoodle
hello .
congrats on 2nd post
Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #4

WebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonder

Hi there...

.... o-o
WebkinzCollecte is offline Female
Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #5

Ladykristy is a creator of wonder
Ladykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonderLadykristy is a creator of wonder

oh hello
Ladykristy is offline Female
Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
COWS4YOU

View Post Originally Posted by WebkinzCollecte
HI...................
congrats on 3rd post
Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #7

WebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonderWebkinzCollecte wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by COWS4YOU
congrats on 3rd post
thanks! (:
WebkinzCollecte is offline Female
Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #8
COWS4YOU

how was everyone's weekend?
Old 12-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #9

WeBkiNZ & Me is sweet stuff
WeBkiNZ & Me is sweet stuffWeBkiNZ & Me is sweet stuffWeBkiNZ & Me is sweet stuffWeBkiNZ & Me is sweet stuffWeBkiNZ & Me is sweet stuff

Hi guys! (:

very good COWS4YOU

thanks for asking
WeBkiNZ & Me is offline Female
Old 12-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #10

Bojoness has disabled reputation

hi .
Closed

Tags
000000005 was here!, alfredxmaddie, ciel + sebastian = ♥, converse love ♥, cows4you, dudeeee kesha wuz here!, i was here, kevinelevin was here!, kpk4803, kpk4803luvsyou, make pasta not war~!, nope chuck testa, poppi hates goats~, r.i.p cinnamon, reinvent l o v e, ryan ate you, samwise & frofro, sugarcube4499 was here (:, sunshiner(: <3, val wasn't here, what letter, why am i alive, you&i'll be safe&sound, ~coco, ♥johanjohanjohan