Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's A Social Thing > Open Mike

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #1

MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris
MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris

Default Documentary and Information about Ads

Hey all

We spend a lot of time discussing ads, inappropriate ads, how to block ads, what ads fund for WI, etc. here on the forum. And we also spend a lot of time explaining how to delete cookies and why it may need to be done after Webkinz Updates. But we haven't really talked about what cookies are, and what they do.

I've had a few conversations with members recently about ads, and how they target individuals based on their browsing history and data/meta data you willingly (or unknowingly) give up online. It's a complicated issue, and one that I try and discuss carefully with people -- especially when it comes to members seeing inappropriate advertisements.

The problem in regards to WI is wrapped up in a few areas, but it comes down to these points:
a.) we don't have as much of a choice (as illusionary as it was beforehand) in the ads that run, because we don't receive as many options (we don't have a large traffic base any longer).
b.) ads that you do see are based on the content you view online, the data collected on your interests/where you are from/etc.

Point B is where it can be a tricky issue. I don't want to ever imply that what you do on the Internet is our business, or something that I will tell you off for. But sometimes if we are interested in one specific video game (for example) and spend a lot of time engaged in that content, we will get more advertisements aimed towards the 'typical' audience for that game/genre. So if it is a game typically inhabited by young adult males, you may see content that advertisers know "typical young adult males" will be interested in.

If you are interested in advertisements and how this all works, I really recommend checking out a new interactive documentary called "do not track" (you can find it here: https://donottrack-doc.com/en/episodes/ ). I will warn you that if you are not familiar with this issue, it can be a little freaky at first. They will be able to identify what country you live in, but I hope that helps to illustrate the problem surrounding ads and privacy online!

This documentary is created in partnership with The CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corporation), The National Film Board of Canada, and many others (the CBC and NFB are publicly funded organizations in Canada). It's really informative and interesting, and goes into the problem with tracker cookies (what advertisements rely on) and why it is an issue. There are two episodes online now, and more to come. With this becoming a larger issue each month in the U.S, many European countries, and Canada, this is a great way to introduce yourself or your family to one of the issues of the Internet.

Anyways~ just thought I would share. If you are younger, you may want to ask your parents before you check it out. But it does not ask for any personal information (you can sign up using your email for updates and to 'save' your information for future episodes -- that way you don't have to redo it all the time). Hopefully you all find it interesting and informative as well.
MissGnomie is offline Female Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
figureskaters14702
Webkinz :)

just417 dares to be greatjust417 dares to be greatjust417 dares to be great
just417 dares to be greatjust417 dares to be greatjust417 dares to be greatjust417 dares to be great

Default Re: Documentary and Information about Ads

Intersting thanks!
On a side note the ads rarely even show for me on my kindle and i dont have any ad block thing
just417 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
hat even
girlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicness
girlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicness

Thanks for the info!! I suggest AdBlock if it's really a problem.
girlzluv2play is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
•| ❣️ ѕoх ❣️ |•

luvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicness
luvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicness

Great info! So glad you mentioned this to the people of WI. I got AdBlockPlus because the talking ads on the bottom got VERY annoying. Works wonders
luvzfrogs is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
hat even
girlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicness
girlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicnessgirlzluv2play is epic beyond epicness

Also, it'd be really cool if we had this as a sticky because of it's very helpful information.
girlzluv2play is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #6

MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris
MissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck NorrisMissGnomie is better than Chuck Norris

View Post Originally Posted by girlzluv2play
Also, it'd be really cool if we had this as a sticky because of it's very helpful information.
I can sticky it, I'll do that for you all.
MissGnomie is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:11 PM   #7
Truly Gifted :)
Gifted

mattyboo1 is epic beyond epicnessmattyboo1 is epic beyond epicnessmattyboo1 is epic beyond epicnessmattyboo1 is epic beyond epicnessmattyboo1 is epic beyond epicness
mattyboo1 is epic beyond epicnessmattyboo1 is epic beyond epicnessmattyboo1 is epic beyond epicnessmattyboo1 is epic beyond epicnessmattyboo1 is epic beyond epicnessmattyboo1 is epic beyond epicness

The talking ads are the really annoying ones, in the past I even saw inappropriate ads on here but at least those don't show anymore, on my iPad there is no thing like Adblock but at least I can use Adblock on my computer.
mattyboo1 is offline Male Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
virgyniaB

gynia knows the way
gynia knows the way

great information! thanx so much

i use the parental control ad 'blocking" on one of my accounts... just opened my 2nd, and haven't been bugged enough to even bother with that, so far... we'll see...
gynia is offline Female Reply With Quote

Tags
bob stay strong, yolo pants