Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's A Social Thing > Open Mike

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 AM   #11
Gifted

labsrock has disabled reputation

Default Re: This is a Big Deal

I would really like to make a difference as well, I remember many years back in kindergarden our teacher had said to keep the earth healthy.. i got SO inspired! every time we drove in the car i yelled "We're hurting the earth!" i made DO NOT LITTER posters all the time and hung them up. and i picked up lots of trash from the school yard and did many more things
labsrock is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #12
Webkinz :)

Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness
Desty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicnessDesty is epic beyond epicness

You might want to think twice about those compact flourescent (swirly) lightbulbs. They contain mercury. One broken bulb, thrown in a landfill can contaminate 6000 gallons of water. Just one. If one breaks in your house, the instructions that the EPA gives is this: Open all your windows in that room and leave that room for 15 minutes. Then, wearing a mask and gloves (mercury can go airborn and is highly toxic) clean up the lightbulb pieces and residue with duct tape. Do NOT vaccum!! Put it all in a ziplock baggie and drive it to a special recycling center.
Honestly, I think the regular old lightbulbs are much safer for the environment.

Last edited by Desty; 03-17-2010 at 06:58 AM..
Desty is offline Female
Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
uvs his wife andDD/S

CanesFan knows the way
CanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the way

View Post Originally Posted by Desty
You might want to think twice about those compact flourescent (swirly) lightbulbs. They contain mercury. One broken bulb, thrown in a landfill can contaminate 6000 gallons of water. Just one. If one breaks in your house, the instructions that the EPA gives is this: Open all your windows in that room and leave that room for 15 minutes. Then, wearing a mask and gloves (mercury can go airborn and is highly toxic) clean up the lightbulb pieces and residue with duct tape. Do NOT vaccum!! Put it all in a ziplock baggie and drive it to a special recycling center.
Honestly, I think the regular old lightbulbs are much safer for the environment.
Yes, they are safes, but use more energy.
CanesFan is offline Male
Old 03-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #14

View Post Originally Posted by CanesFan
Yes, they are safes, but use more energy.
Possibly, unless you take into consideration opening your windows for 15 minutes in the middle of winter, or on a very hot day with the AC on...and then having to drive the fragments of the flourescent bulbs to a select few recycling centers for this toxic waste, and using gas...and then how much energy does it take to safely handle the mercury at the recycling center?

Last edited by Desty; 03-17-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Desty is offline Female
Old 03-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #15

beariscute is a jewel in the roughbeariscute is a jewel in the rough

There is no such thing as global warming. It's all a part of our Earth's cycle! There is no evidence, and officials have even admitted that they all made it up. But I like that you are trying to help the environment. What I do is I reuse water bottles instead of buying new ones every week.
beariscute is offline Female
Old 03-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
Gift Guru

becky423 has disabled reputation

I actually started a bake sale to save the rainforest a few years ago. We raised around $2,000 in 4 days.
I try turning off lights when I don't use them, and I turn off the water when I don't need it. I also recycle things.
becky423 is offline Female
Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
ow I LOVE

rootbeer598 has a reputation beyond reputerootbeer598 has a reputation beyond reputerootbeer598 has a reputation beyond reputerootbeer598 has a reputation beyond reputerootbeer598 has a reputation beyond reputerootbeer598 has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes when i get bored i pick up trrash at the park. and i also try not to litter.i also had a lemonade stand with a friend and we earned 22$ and donated it to hati
rootbeer598 is offline Female
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #18

Dictionary is a jewel in the roughDictionary is a jewel in the rough

I appreciate everyones perspective on the topic, of course I had hoped there were more people out there who cared, but it is nice to see even people who do not believe in Global warming are still recycling. Although just as a rebuttle to all the opposition, there is a hole in ithe O-zone layer which is what reduces the sun rays, this layer can rebuild it's self yes, but right now we are putting out so much carbon dioxide we are breaking it down faster than it can rebuild. As a result, the suns rays will become more harsh, thus the warming of earth, in the Arctic there are rocks covered by snow, and when this snow melts the rocks will surface and release the harmful gas Methane wich will kill the ocean life, and land life ... humans. The icebergs melting in the arctic will disrupt our water systems.
Many may think you will be dead and gone before the consequnces of OUR actions become visible, but i am already noticing changes in our weather system. and i know it is going to get alot worse from here on in.
Dictionary is offline Female
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
I dont Play

breaking dawn has much to be proud ofbreaking dawn has much to be proud ofbreaking dawn has much to be proud ofbreaking dawn has much to be proud ofbreaking dawn has much to be proud of

personally i dont believe in global warming becasue the earth goes through stages and earth actually has gotten cooler over the last 50 years. The world is turning into an awful place becasue of what we did to it. I try to not by stuff with rappers and i always stagger my shower i reuse a shopping bag when i go shopping like i bring my old bag and ask the clerk to just re use it and i NEVER litter.
breaking dawn is offline Female
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
Gifted

xxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talentxxaeroxx has lots of talent

WI Subscriber

View Post Originally Posted by Desty
I don't believe there is reliable scientific evidence of global warming, in fact, the best studies show we are actually in a cooling trend. However, I applaud you for wanting to protect the environment!! As long as people keep thinking rationally and are willing to compromise, I have seen large corporations and environmentalists work well together. My brother works for the government as a scientist and travels around working with companies to bring about practical answers for cutting back on pollution and still being able to keep the businesses here and working.
At home, we can conserve energy and recycle, although keep that in perspective as well.
^^ I agree with that.
I'm not sure if its real.. but its common sense for you to recycle. Not alone are you doing good for the earth BUT you are SAVING MONEY! You're helping other people by recycling too. (x

Most of the stuff is common sense..
for ex:
-Short showers
-Recycling

Like ;; me and my mom save Grocery Store bags and use them.. we recycle our bags. (:
xxaeroxx is offline Female
Closed