Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Ideas For Ganz

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Webkinz :)

snowcrystal311 knows the way
snowcrystal311 knows the waysnowcrystal311 knows the way

Default Re: Room Names

I support, I miss this option so much!
snowcrystal311 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
oh wow, oh my= oh mo

Ferretluver is just really niceFerretluver is just really nice

I SUPPORT!
those were the good old days when you could choose your own name for the rooms.....
Ferretluver is offline Female
Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
arriors and a Fox

KatieKinz8 is a WI addict!
KatieKinz8 is a WI addict!KatieKinz8 is a WI addict!KatieKinz8 is a WI addict!KatieKinz8 is a WI addict!KatieKinz8 is a WI addict!KatieKinz8 is a WI addict!KatieKinz8 is a WI addict!KatieKinz8 is a WI addict!KatieKinz8 is a WI addict!

View Post Originally Posted by spoiledjulie
Why can't we name our own rooms? The choices we have usually don't have anything to do with the room I designed not to mention the fact that they r really lame. Do I really need 20 pets with a rare room name. I can't remember which rare items are in what rare room!
There was a time when you could type out the name of your room to anything you wanted. I was around for the big change. Pretty annoying. I support your plea for the return of the type-your-own-room name.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
spoiledjulie has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for supporting. Now that we have won the candy factory wall paper and candy machine I've made a candy factory with nothing to call it. I guess I will have to go with Holiday room. So frustrating!
spoiledjulie is offline Female
Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #15

jemkinz is sweet stuff
jemkinz is sweet stuffjemkinz is sweet stuffjemkinz is sweet stuffjemkinz is sweet stuffjemkinz is sweet stuffjemkinz is sweet stuffjemkinz is sweet stuff

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by spoiledjulie
Thanks for supporting. Now that we have won the candy factory wall paper and candy machine I've made a candy factory with nothing to call it. I guess I will have to go with Holiday room. So frustrating!

OR .... you could name your next pet "Candy", then you could have "Candy's Room".
I did that with "Christmas" and "Aztec". Sort of beating the system......
<sigh>
jemkinz is offline Female
Old 02-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #16

Lol That's a good idea. Actually tho its not defeating the system if we put more money into our webkinz so we can name our room. I think they win. lol
Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
Salam Alaikum

WebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contest
WebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contestWebkinzCrazy97 could win a popularity contest

I support.
WebkinzCrazy97 is offline Female
Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #18

MysticZon is sweet stuff
MysticZon is sweet stuffMysticZon is sweet stuffMysticZon is sweet stuffMysticZon is sweet stuffMysticZon is sweet stuffMysticZon is sweet stuff

The history of room naming for those who are new to WW

We used to be able to name our rooms practically anything we wanted. We had limitations but those were mostly based on religious and seasonal names (could not use "church, temple, chapel, synagogue, Christmas, Easter, Jewish, Christian ... and so forth). Basically any word or name for something that was not politically correct was not allowed.

I designed a Medieval Chapel and wanted to name it as such but, of course, was unable to. With some creative thinking on my part, I came up with "Medieval Place to Unite" and to me, that name represented my Medieval Chapel.

From 2005 to 2008, when you adopted your first 10 pets and got your first 10 rooms, the room name contained the name of the pet ~ i.e. Spike's room ~ and the same holds true to this day. However, if you changed "Spike's room" to something else, you could not change it back to "Spike's room."

This caused A LOT of people to phone, email, snail-mail, post about it on WI, and write about this in the Comments Box under Contact Us in WW. Members wanted to be able to name the room(s) after the pet that occupied it. In my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, this was the main request members had.

In September 2008, Ganz responded and proudly announced that they "heard WW's members and listened to them" and revealed the room-naming system we now have in place. I use the word "proudly" because as I remember it, Ganz was extremely proud of this revision to WW and made it sound like it was all the members' idea to come up with this ridiculous way of naming our rooms. Hey guess what members ?? You can now name your rooms after your pets all you want ... you just can't name them anything else unless it's on the list.

Be careful what you wish for

Members were outraged and aghast !! The majority of people despised this new system and it's limitations, so guess what ?? Members bombarded Ganz again and asked for the old room naming system back. And guess what ?? Ganz said NO WAY based on this reasoning ~

Some members were abusing the room naming system as it was prior to early 2008 and giving their rooms inappropriate names. Ganz announced that this drop down menu method of naming rooms would eliminate that problem once and for all.

My personal opinion

Who in Webkinz World sees what you name your rooms except if and when you invite a friend over ?? If a child or teenager (or even an adult for that matter) has named a room using unacceptable words and invites a friend over and the friend tells their parents that "Little Johnny" used a bad word when he named his kitchen, I say let the parents duke it out and leave the responsible children, teenagers and adults to name their rooms as they see fit. Even with more options in the drop-down menu system we have now, it is far too constricting to simply name a room "The Egyptian Room", although no doubt this would be an improvement.

The situation as it stands now

April 30, 2010 ~ Excerpts from the Twitter Party held by Ganz and hosted by the Creative Director ~

Q. Why can’t we name our own rooms?

A. People were abusing the room naming very badly. I loved that feature myself, but we had to remove it.

Q. Hoping we could be allowed freedom to name our rooms anything again. Only we see them.

A. Actually anyone who visits your home can see your room names. That's why we changed them. But we'll consider it.

"Consider it" means it ain't gonna happen.

And in reference to the Creative Director's remark "People were abusing the room naming very badly" ... how on earth would he know ?? Just how many friends does he have that invited him to their houses such that he would notice his friends were naming their rooms inappropriately ??

And just how badly could one abuse the old room naming system ?? I made a typo one day naming my room and typed a bad word by mistake. This got me thinking ... so just for kicks and giggles I tried to name my room some "bad words" (common swear words) and I couldn't get these "bad words" past the old room naming filter system.

And how many parents called Ganz and reported that their children had been invited to friend's homes that contained inappropriate room names ?? I'll bet my Love Puppy that the number of parents who may have called Ganz and complained that their child saw inappropriate room names in another friend's account does NOT EVEN COME CLOSE to the number of WW members who have called and asked for the old room naming system back.

And let's be honest ... how many WW members actually invite friends over anymore ?? The programming for this feature is so bugged it's not worth the effort. I've tried to invite my nieces to my house on numerous occassions and either ~

1. My account froze;
2. My nieces' accounts froze;
3. My nieces could visit in the one room where their pet landed, but could not visit other rooms or else their accounts froze (regardless if they used the map or tried walking their pet through a door)
4. KinzChat feature did not work properly and caused the account to ... you guessed it ... freeze.

My point is, in my opinion, the Creative Director was just feeding us a bunch of hooey. I'm not buying it.

June 15, 2011 ~ WI made a front page story of the possibility of Ganz adding new room names to the drop down lists entitled "Ganz is Considering Adding New Room Names to Webkinz World."

http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...-names-700491/

This article coincided with a Facebook or Twitter party Ganz held on Saturday, June 11, 2011 also asking WW members for room name suggestions.

To date, as we all know, nothing has been done with the many, many excellent and reasonable suggestions WW and WI members made. Note the use of the phrase "Ganz is considering" .... this does not mean Ganz was saying they were going to do it, they were merely "considering" the idea or, in other words, thinking about it.

Guess Ganz stopped thinking about it.

The bottom line

Some excellent suggestions have been made by members in this thread and other threads dealing with this "it's not gonna go away" topic. The bottom line in my opinion ~ if you can type it in KinzChat Plus, you should be able to name your room using the same words from the same KinzChat Plus dictionary.

Question ~ Has anybody ever actually designed a Mud Room ??

Last edited by MysticZon; 02-08-2012 at 12:54 AM..
MysticZon is offline Female
Old 02-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #19

MysticZon is sweet stuff
MysticZon is sweet stuffMysticZon is sweet stuffMysticZon is sweet stuffMysticZon is sweet stuffMysticZon is sweet stuffMysticZon is sweet stuff

If anybody has ever submitted a room design to be uploaded on WKN's Share Centre, then you've seen the vast array of room name tags. For those of you who haven't, here are individual screenshots of the menu of room name tags you can select from ~

Click the image to open in full size.

As you can see, the tags aren't in any particular order, but putting this programming goof aside which could easily be corrected if Ganz ever felt so inclined, if it's possible to program a web site to offer this much selection to describe a room you are uploading to the Share Centre, then why can't we have AT LEAST this much selection from which to name our rooms ?? There's still room for improvement (pun intended) but it would be a great place to start.

Last edited by MysticZon; 02-08-2012 at 12:45 AM..
MysticZon is offline Female
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #20

Wow! Thanks so much for all that detailed information. I am really disappointed that you weren't allowed to name your rooms after your religious beliefs. What is wrong with "church"? Makes me wonder what the beliefs are of the webkinz creators. I sure hope webkinz gets better. It seems they are really into making money lately instead of concentrating on keeping members happy.
Closed

Tags
jesus loves you!