Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Webkinz :)

ChocolateBar has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBar has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBar has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBar has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBar has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBar has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up YOUR Big Guide to Making Graphics on PAINT.NET (download required)

Hello everyone, and welcome!

I have decided to share a few fun things to do on Paint.Net v3.36.
[Otherwise tutorials for my fellow WIers.]
I caution you wisely, this thread is LONG. Please enjoy it and take the time to read it. Or skim it.

I have spent much time on these tutorials, taking photos, uploading, and posting. And I am sharing my knowledge. So please credit me if you decide to use these guides for a shoppe.

***Note: These are PAINT.NET V3.36 tutorials, not standard MS Paint tutorials. Paint.Net is a COMPLETELY FREE and SAFE downloadable program. I love it and have never had problems. It has many options to it, and it does great effects. Thank you.***

To download Paint.Net, simply search Google "Paint.Net download".
Or click this link:
DOWNLOAD

Save it under:
My Documents>C: Drive>Program Files
Just press 'save', and wait for it to download.
If you need more help downloading Paint.Net, please feel free to PM/VM me.
Now..open it!
I would explore around and try using the tools. Save the shortcuts and editing for later. Don't jump the gun, just try painting on it and filling in with the paint bucket and everything.

***Note: I'm pretty sure every time you open up Paint.Net v3.36 it offers a newer download of Paint.Net v3.5.1. I don't recommend it, Paint.Net v3.36 is MUCH easier. Thank you.***

Table of Contents to This Thread

Post #1 - Introduction/How to Download Paint.Net v3.36
Post #2 - Using the Tools(tutorials)
[Post #2 Currently contains the following:
Tutorial 1 - Making Backrounds Transparent
Tutorial 2 - Different Types of Save Files]
Post #3 - Getting Started/Beginning Graphics (tutorials)
Post #4 - Simple Editing (tutorials)
Post #5 - More Advanced Editing (tutorials)
Post #6 - Most Advanced Editing (tutorials)
Post #7 - Plugins (tutorials)

***Note: That guide (above) is very unofficial. The complete posts will take awhile to complete and they will always be changing.***

Glossary to This Thread

P.N : [Paint.Net (v3.36)]
TOC : [Table of Contents]

FAQ

Why does Paint.Net require a download? Is there anywhere I can get it where I do not have to download?!
I'm not sure why Paint.Net requires downloading it, but it's the least you can do. This program is almost as good as photoshop, for around 200-900 dollars less. Also, I am not aware of anywhere you can use it online free or anything, and I think it is not intended that way. Sorry! But I have never had a problem with Paint.Net v3.36 or downloading it.

I just want to make great graphics. This thread is too long and I don't want to read all of it and try it all. Is there a shorter way?
I suppose you could skip reading everything and just try everything out. But I hope you do not get confused! And sorry about the long thread, I tried my best to make it short!

***Note: Please PM me any questions you would like me to answer and post up here for others to see. It greatly helps me improve my thread for you and others. Thank you!***

Total Picture Count
Is...

Spoiler: show
22!

Thanks everyone!!
This is a thread that is ALWAYS going to be under revision!!

Thanks!

ChocolateBar

Last edited by ChocolateBar; 12-01-2009 at 06:20 PM..
ChocolateBar is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #2

ChocolateBar has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBar has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBar has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBar has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBar has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBar has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: YOUR Big Guide to Making Graphics on PAINT.NET (download required)

This post is for newbies.

This post will teach you the basic tools of Paint.Net v3.36!

When you open up P.N, this is what you should see:
Click the image to open in full size.

The toolbox is on the very left. The color palette is on the very right. The history window is right above it. You might see the layers window, I would close that if you want. You may leave it open, but if you close it, you can always open it up later.

The very first tool you should recognize and practice is...

The next tools are the paintbrush and the paint bucket..

The paint brush draws, like the pencil tool. But unlike the pencil, it can draw at any size up to 500, while the pencil stays at 2.
The paint bucket fills any closed in space with one full color.

The next tools are..
The shape tools. They make shapes on the open canvas. There is a rectangle tool (top left of shapes), a rounded rectangle tool (top right of shapes), an ellipse, or circle/oval tool (bottom left of shapes), and a freeform tool (bottom right of shapes). They all are helpful in creative/original graphics.

The next tool is the text tool...
This is the text tool! The text tool is very helpful, otherwise you would not be able to put words and sentences on your artwork!

The line/curve tool and the recolor tool..

I do not use the recolor tool.
However, the line/curve tool makes straight lines, dashed, arrowed, or rounded. This is how I made the red arrow above.

The next tool be..the...
Color picker tool! This is one of my favorites because it makes making crafty graphics much easier!

The eraser tool..
Erases things COMPLETELY, like to the transparent state. Comes in sizes 1-500

The tool of el selectors! xD
These select parts or the whole image. Then you can cut or work within the selected area. [I.E. If you are making a celebrity signature and want to put the celebrity's head in a bubble (LOL), then you can select a circle of the signature and paint it with the paintbrush. Easier than making your own perfect circle.]

The next tool....
The "Pan" tool. I would rather call it the grabber tool. Now I am calling it the grabber tool. You can grab the (newly) PASTED image and drag it around. The image says selected. It is WRONG.

The next tool is..
The selector cursors! These move selected areas! The gray one (on top) physically moves the whole selected area, leaving an area transparent.
This is what it looks like in P.N:

Now..
The white cursor (on bottom) moves the slected area without leaving it transparent. See below:
[I.E. If you wanted to make "eyes" and could not get to EXACT circles, just use this tool!]

The magnifying glass..
The magnifying glass makes an image appear smaller or larger, depending on if you click with your left or right button on your mouse.
***Note: It does not save larger or smaller than you have set it, it saves it's original size. This is not a form of resizing.***

Second to last tool is the gradient tool.
It makes gradients. See above for my olive green and lime green gradient, and my red and orange gradient.

The LAST tool is..
The magic wand tool! It makes selecting closed areas MUCH easier! But know that the area the needs to be selected has to be CLOSED in, completely.

These are the P.N tools! Please try each one out and get used to them for awhile. Thanks!

Last edited by ChocolateBar; 12-01-2009 at 08:56 AM..
Old 11-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #3

Hey everyone!
Welcome to the first real tutorial post!
We are going to learn the basics of P.N here!
Thank you!

Tutorial 1
Making backround images transparent

First, let's learn howw to make a backround transparent.
First, select your magic wand tool like below.

Next, select the part of the image where you would like it to be transparent. If your image is blank, and your creating an image with a transparent backround, click anywhere. Then it will be highlighted.

Finally, select 'cut', which is near the top left of P.N

You have now made your backround transparent!

Tutorial 2
Different types of save files
(No pictures)

There are many different ways to save your image. Look below to see where you need to save your picture!

Paint.Net : .pdn
[Most common way to save]
Preserves layers, layer names and information, alpha values. Can only be used in Paint.NET, no image hosting services or image editors/viewers can support this file type, use only for later editing of the file.

Bitmap : .bmp
Does not retain layers or alpha values. If you have the chequerboard pattern on your image it will appear white when saved in this format. Photobucket.com and Imageshack.us both accept this format.
~This is an un-compressed format and has largely been superseded by the PNG format.~

GIF : .gif
Does not retain layers but does save alpha values. If you see the chequerboard pattern on your image it will be transparent when viewed elsewhere, although it is either transparent or not, there is no wide range of alpha values with this type. Lossless format and good for websites and animations. Photobucket.com and Imageshack.us both accept this format.

JPEG : .jpg , .jpeg , .jpe , .jfif
Does not retain layers or alpha values and is a lossy format, meaning it will loose quality when saved. If you have the chequerboard pattern on your image it will appear white when saved in this format. Good for websites. Photobucket.com and Imageshack.us both accept this format.

PNG : .png
Does not retain layers but does alpha. If you see the chequerboard pattern on your image it will be transparent when viewed elsewhere. Wide range of alpha values meaning it can have anything between an alpha of 0 (fully transparent) up to 255 (fully opaque). Lossless format. Photobucket.com and Imageshack.us both accept this format.

TIFF : .tif , .tiff
Does not retain layers but does alpha. If you see the chequerboard pattern on your image it will be transparent when viewed elsewhere. Wide range of alpha values meaning it can have anything between an alpha of 0 (fully transparent) up to 255 (fully opaque). Lossless format. Only Imageshack.us accepts this format.

TGA : .tga
Used for texture mapping in such 3D editing software as Blender and POV-Ray and also gaming screenshots of this file type are common.
Does not retain layers but does alpha. If you see the chequerboard pattern on your image it will be transparent when viewed elsewhere. Wide range of alpha values meaning it can have anything between an alpha of 0 (fully transparent) up to 255 (fully opaque). Lossless format. Neither Photobucket nor Imageshack accept this file format.

DirectDraw Surface : (DDS) .dds
Used for storing textures and cubic environment maps, both compressed and uncompressed. This makes the format useful for storing DXTn compressed data used in GPUs and consoles like the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.
Does not support layers but does alpha. If you see the chequerboard pattern on your image it will be transparent when viewed elsewhere. Wide range of alpha values meaning it can have anything between an alpha of 0 (fully transparent) up to 255 (fully opaque). Lossless format. Neither Photobucket nor Imageshack accept this file format.

HD Photo : .wdp , .hdp
Does not retain layers but does alpha. If you see the chequerboard pattern on your image it will be transparent when viewed elsewhere. Wide range of alpha values meaning it can have anything between an alpha of 0 (fully transparent) up to 255 (fully opaque). Lossless format at quality of 100 and lossy at anything less than 100. Neither Photobucket nor Imageshack accept this file format.

Icons : .ico
Cursors : .cur
Animated Cursors : .ani
Icons format supports layers and alpha. Help included when saving.
Cursors do not support layers but does alpha.
Animated Cursors does support layers and alpha.
If you see the chequerboard pattern on your image it will be transparent when viewed elsewhere. Wide range of alpha values meaning it can have anything between an alpha of 0 (fully transparent) up to 255 (fully opaque). Lossless format. Neither Photobucket nor Imageshack accept this file format.

Photoshop : .psd
Preserves layers, layer names and information, alpha values. Can be used in Paint.NET, Photoshop and other programs which support PSD files. Neither Photobucket or Imageshack accept this file format but some hosting services do. Great for transferring layered from Paint.NET to Photoshop and vice versa.

***Note: Thanks to the Paint.Net forums!! Thanks!***

Last edited by ChocolateBar; 12-01-2009 at 06:16 PM..
Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #4

Reserved for future use.

Last edited by ChocolateBar; 11-30-2009 at 07:35 PM..
Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #5

Reserved for future use.

Last edited by ChocolateBar; 11-30-2009 at 07:34 PM..
Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #6

Reserved for future use.

Last edited by ChocolateBar; 11-30-2009 at 07:33 PM..
Old 11-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #7

Reserved for future use.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #8

Reserved for future use.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:35 PM   #9

Reserved for future use.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #10

Reserved for future use.
Closed