Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Mayora 13
Webkinz :)

KinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable character
KinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable character

Default The virus guide! Everything you need to know to keep your computer safe online and offline! Including a basic virus removal technique, reccomended Antivirus', pictures and more. - WINDOWS

Spoiler: show
Thank you everyone for the 5 star rating and over 6,000 views!

I thought it best to keep this thread open and active for people, because just recently a few of our computers suffered some virus attacks. And most common virus' have the same disposal method. If you have any questions about removing a virus, or have anything to add, PLEASE feel free to post! The more help, the safer computers will be!

Table of Contents...so if you're looking for specific information!
1. Introduction, pictures and overview.
2. Basic virus removal technique.
3. Tips from our users
4. Reccomended Antivirus'
4b. Antivirus Q&A's
5. NOTICE!! Think you have a virus? Or could it be a worm?
6. Final Note

1. Introduction, pictures and overview.
Virus'....the most problematic part of the internet. But whether we like it or not, they're everywhere! In all truth, there's no part of the internet that is truely completely 100% secure and untouchable from virus'.

But how much do you really now about virus'? As technology devolps, so do virus'...they get trickier, even try to fool you!

The following pictures are of virus'....this seems to be the most common method to get on to someone's computer. It looks incredibly legit, doesn't it? They are fake Antivirus softwares that will pop-up while you are browsing the internet. It will warn you that you're computer is 'infected', and then attempt to have you install this program onto your computer...thus, installing the virus yourself!

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the new 'trend' for virus'. If you ever see a pop-up with similar information, close down the internet immediately. Do so, NOT by hitting the close button, but by bringing up the Task Manager and selecting ALL internet windows and hitting End Task. That is the safest way to get rid of them.

These will not automatically begin to install themselves. What really allows them to get on to your computer, is when you let it. By being fooled by the virus into thinking you must download it.

Here is my previous information about Security Tool etc. when it 'bombarded' WI...
Spoiler: show

Q: What is this virus?

A: It is a fake anti-virus software that is actually a virus. It is most commonly extracted from Facebook apps, but I actually got it through this site!! It tries to get you to buy fake anti-virus software that is not necessary. This IS infact a virus, I took it to Best Buy which has a 'Geek Squad' which, if you don't what that is, is a bunch of professionals who fix computers and can solve any computer problem. And they specifically told me that it was infact a virus that goes in to your computer and infects your files, like a normal virus. Except, if you buy the fake software (since you have to use your credit card) it CAN and WILL steal your identity.

*Update* March 11: On it's 3rd attempt today I decided to take a screen pic of what my REAL anti virus popped up with about the virus.

As you can see, it says "Fake alert" which is the virus and that it's a high risk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q: Where does it come from?

A: Although I have seen a lot of reports of it coming from this site (I got it here as well) this is NOT the only site it can come from. The #1 source is actually the popular social networking site, Facebook. Not actually Facebook in general but, in fact, the games inside it such as Farmville etc. But WI is a very common place to get it as well.

Q: How do I know if I get it?

A: It will start with a pop-up message like the ones posted above or something similar to that. It will then pretend to scan your computer for virus' and trojans etc. This is completely fake you do not have these virus'. It will tell you that you need to buy something to get rid of the virus'. Do not buy it, it is a scam!!

Note from FIA regarding the WI infiltration virus...

Once before we had a problem with this ad showing up on WI and Justin was able to use information from our members to block it. If you see this advertisement on your computer, please make note of what advertisements are running at the moment it pops up. Justin can go into the system and block them from ever appearing again.

He can also use that information to file a complaint with the company that provides us with our advertisements. We are NOT supposed to be getting ads like this.

--FIA

2. Basic virus removal technique.

If you already have a virus, you can get rid of it manually if you are without anti-virus. If you're really unsure about tampering with your computer, take it to a professional. Keep your computer OFF until it's ready to be 'cleaned out'. That will prevent the virus from spreading.

Note: If your background has been replaced with grey when your computer turns on, that means it is getting farther in to your files...

How to manually remove a new virus:
(I'm not sure if it's the same for Mac users, so if anyone else knows of a different way to get rid of it for Mac's please let me know)

First: Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and bring up the Task Manager
Second: Select the tab "Processes"
Third: Scroll through the processes until you find one starting with a random number with 8 digits and ending .exe (remember this title), that is your virus, end that process. Some people actually hace TWO of the virus on their computer. So if you find another process like that, and it as well (be sure you do not end the process of something that needs to run) if it says SYSTEM beside it, don't mess with it...
Fourth: Go to start>run and type in msconfig. Then hit OK.
Fifth: Under the tab 'startup' look for that same title of the process you ended. Uncheck it and press Apply.
Sixth: All that's left is to remove the file!
Go to Start>My Computer then double click on the C: drive. Then go to Documents and Settings. Next Click on All Users. You have to be able to see your 'hidden' files now, to do that go to Tools>Folder Options select the tab View and look for Hidden Files and Folders, make sure the option Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected. You should see a folder called Application Data or something very similar. Look for a folder with the name being that same title with the random number we already dealt with. Delete that folder!!
Seventh: Make sure the icon on your desktop is gone, if not delete that.
Eighth: Empty the recyle bin. Your computer is now virus free!

Nineth: Restart your computer just to make sure it's gone. If it appears during startup go through this process again to make sure. If it still is appearing, take it to a professional.
  • Important files can look suspicious...so don't delete unless you're absolutely sure that's the right thing to do. Always, double check.
If you're computer is newly infected (eg, a few days) this should clean it out pretty well. If this virus has had some time getting in to your computer and files (eg, 1 week +) there's a very good chance it's hiding somewhere else....so unless you know where to go specifically to dispose of it, you'll need an antivirus now.

It may sound strange, but going through your computer like this (without deleting anything) can help you familiarize yourself with your computer...so when a real virus comes, you'll know what to do!
3. Tips from our users
Tips from users! About any pop-ups or suspicious activity on WI.
If you have experianced any, please post about what it was, and what if anything you did to dismiss it.
View Post Originally Posted by Lucy Hippo
today when i was here in WI i clicked on the top lines above the rares to go back to forum and got pop ad from ATT/Samsung. happened three times when i clicked the X to shut it down. what i did was go to IE tools, to internet options to Security to RESTRICTED SITES and added their http// address to the restricted list. then brought up Task Manager and they were listed soo did End Task. that got rid of it.
Originally Posted by Lucy Hippo
So. for your virus guide a tip is to check what was recently added to computer.
If you feel your computer's running much slower than usual for no obvious reason, or if you suddenly discover a new program on your computer. Take Lucy's advice, and check the files that were recently added/changed on your computer.
View Post Originally Posted by Lucy Hippo
hi wildgirl, kinzuser is right. russian sites dont necessarily contain viruses but they and other forgein sites do contain a lot of malware and XXX (how can i put this delicately???) okay, XXX are ADULT content. ....................................................so to continue, i have a tip. dont click on any link until you read the site HTTP adress. just click on .com, .gov, .net, etc. learn to read the address. like if it doesent say .com but says .de, or .ru, these are foreign countries. for the United States you will also see .us. okay, LEARN TO SURF SAFELY.......
Remember that just because it is a foreign site, doesn't mean it will always have a virus. But there is some truth to this. Good tip Lucy!
4. Reccomended Antivirus'
Most anti-virus' can block attacks from the internet, but you should always be careful when online. Always remember...it is a VERY BAD IDEA to go on the internet with a computer that doesn't have anti-virus. Virus' can get on in the strangest and most inconvenient ways.

Now that you've read through this, if you don't have antivirus, you have to consider getting some. But how? Where? What kind?

Some reccomended real anti-virus softwares....
  • Kaspersky Antivirus 2010
  • Panda Antivirus 2010
  • Norton Antivirus 2010
  • Trend Micro Antivirus
  • Shield Deluxe Antivirus Protection
  • Webroot Antivirus
  • ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2010
  • BitDefender Antivirus 2010
  • PCTools Antivirus 2010
  • CA Antivirus 2010
  • AVG Antivirus 2010
  • ZoneAlarm Antivirus
  • Avanquest Antivirus
4b. Antivirus Q&A's

A few quick Antivirus Q&A's....

Q: Where can I find an Antivirus software like the ones listed?
A: Most, if not all, of these can be found at your local computer-tech store (Best Buy, for example). Before buying one, I would consult a professional that would be able to reccomend the one best suited for your computer type.

Q: Can't I just get one free online?
A: No. Anti-virus' found online are not trustworthy, they all have their little kinks.

Keep in mind, whether you like it or not, you are going to have to end up paying for a good antivirus in the long run. So get a good one, and make it worth while!

Q: Could an Antivirus harm or delete my important files in any way?
A: No. A 'good' antivirus will only remove the bugs of your computer. If your files have already been seriously infected, that's a different story...but for it to be that serious, a virus would've had to exist on that computer for about 2-3 weeks with it running full the entire time. Antivirus' are a good thing for your computer!

Q: I have an Antivirus, how often should I sweep for virus'?
A: At the very LEAST once a week. If you can do it every day/every other day, that's even better! Sweep as often as you get the chance!

5. NOTICE!! Think you have a virus? Or could it be a worm?
Is there a difference? Yes. First of all...clarification.

A virus, or what is actually more commonly found online...a Trojan Horse.
A Trojan Horse is a computer program masquerading as a game, a “cute” program or add of sort. However, when it runs it does something else - like erasing your hard drive or blocking your screen with a graphic will not go away. (Note, if you have a pop-up add apear on the internet, don't always assume it's a Trojan Horse.)

A worm.
A worm is very similar to a virus, yet quite distinctive as well. Unlike a virus, the computer worm does not require a host file in order to propagate itself. It is able to enter a computer through system vulnerabilities and uses those flaws to propagate.

Worms can be MUCH more destructive. They tend to move faster through the system, and can ONLY be completely removed by a professional! Not even most antiviruses can. It can be costly to remove a Worm, and restore your system.
6. Final Note.
Now, as a final note, if you're computer is severly infected with a virus...there may be no other way to clear it but to run System Restore, which restores the registry and critical system files to a previous checkpoint. Basically, it's like emptying the trash can and putting a new garbage bag in!

More questions regarding virus'? Check out Wikipedia
Computer virus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And yes, I do see the irony in directing you to an internet site while talking about virus' from the internet, LOL!

Last edited by KinzUser2523; 11-14-2010 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Additional Info...
KinzUser2523 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Gifted

lightning bolt is sweet stuff
lightning bolt is sweet stufflightning bolt is sweet stufflightning bolt is sweet stufflightning bolt is sweet stufflightning bolt is sweet stufflightning bolt is sweet stufflightning bolt is sweet stuff

Default Re: 'Security Tool' Fake Anti Virus. How to avoid, what to do if you get/have it.

Thanks for the heads up and all the useful info!!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
uvs his wife andDD/S

CanesFan knows the way
CanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the wayCanesFan knows the way

Default Re: 'Security Tool' Fake Anti Virus. How to avoid, what to do if you get/have it.

Thank you for the heads up!
CanesFan is offline Male
Old 02-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Gift Guru

teacup0819 is the bees knees!teacup0819 is the bees knees!teacup0819 is the bees knees!teacup0819 is the bees knees!teacup0819 is the bees knees!teacup0819 is the bees knees!teacup0819 is the bees knees!

I had it pop up from this site also, but I didn't run the program. I checked my computer and the virus did not download. Thanks so much for your instructions. They were really helpful.
teacup0819 is offline Female
Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Mayora 13

KinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable character
KinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable characterKinzUser2523 has an honorable character

Default Re: 'Security Tool' latest virus. How to avoid, what to do if you get/have it.

Thanks everyone, glad no one has gotten infected yet!
KinzUser2523 is offline Female
Old 02-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
|_ () \/ 3
Gift Guru

lexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guidelexi18216 is a golden guide

Default Re: 'Security Tool' latest virus. How to avoid, what to do if you get/have it.

Thank you for informing us!(:
lexi18216 is offline Female
Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #7

soccertrader has a brilliant futuresoccertrader has a brilliant futuresoccertrader has a brilliant futuresoccertrader has a brilliant futuresoccertrader has a brilliant future

Great guide, I have pretty good anti virus software, but if I did have a problem this is a really good and straight forward guide.
soccertrader is offline Male
Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
Mr. and Mrs. 3/14/15

glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!glamour_cat_13 is not just visiting!

Instead of shutting down your computer while you are infected, you can also simply turn off your internet

I just had a huge malware attack on my computer and it had to be completely wiped out.
Luckily, that is my daddy's job so I didn't have to take it anywhere to get it fixed.

My dad is funny.
Since you have to pay for them to leave, he was like how is that legal?
that is like someone sitting in your backyard refusing to leave until you pay them for no reason. lol

Last edited by glamour_cat_13; 02-23-2010 at 10:34 AM..
glamour_cat_13 is offline Female
Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
hut? Lies!
Zaixionito has much to be proud ofZaixionito has much to be proud ofZaixionito has much to be proud ofZaixionito has much to be proud ofZaixionito has much to be proud of

Yea. I envy you IE/FX users.

Chrome/Chromium auto downloads files, so there is little way to stop it from getting on your computer.

In any case, thanks for the guide. There can never be too few infected computers.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
Banned
softballipod is not just visiting!softballipod is not just visiting!softballipod is not just visiting!softballipod is not just visiting!softballipod is not just visiting!softballipod is not just visiting!softballipod is not just visiting!softballipod is not just visiting!softballipod is not just visiting!softballipod is not just visiting!

Oh my goodness. I can't believe that this is where I got that virus! I have had it pop up a few times. Thnx for showing/telling!! (:
softballipod is offline Female
Closed

Tags
pawsome thread! -luree