Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
bostielove
Gifted

Mutt is a jewel in the roughMutt is a jewel in the rough

Default Mutt's WI Etiquette Guide! :)

WI MANNERS

WI does have Etiquette! It may be the funnest Webkinz Chat Forum on the planet, but manners are important and everyone should know it! Manners can be boring but they are polite. It won't kill you to post a kind comment or give out some rep pts, will it? =]

TOPICS

Someone post an overused thread topic? This shouldn't happen AS MUCH with the new Similar Threads finder! But if it does... DON'T RAIN DOWN ON THE PERSON!! This is unacceptable:
"This topic has been posted EVERYWHERE! Can't you read?! Someone delete this thread!"
This is:
"Maybe you should look at some of these topics because this one is just like them! -link1- -link2- -link3- However the Charm Forest glitch has happened to many people-- we don't know how to fix it, sorry!" (links on WI of course)
You see, you should give them examples by typing that topic into the new thread bar and then pick a few and copy address'. Be kind and ANSWER THEIR QUESTION(unless it is just a chat topic! Then maybe a nice comment like 'I want the Collie too!'). You don't have to give them every detail but help them out or give them some advice. It's nice of you and helps them!

NO-POSTERS

Ever see a thread with no posts? Or very few? Go post! Simple and easy! Especially in 'new adoption' threads! People love when you admire or congratulate them on your pet. Try to make it a slightly (at the least!) interesting post though. You may go 'Congratulations!' but would you rather have that or 'Congrats! I love the Tree Frog-- I got mine at the beach on my birthday! The pics of her are SOOO cute!' (Make sure something you say is true though, don't lie to make it interesting!) If it is in the wrong topic area let them know. If it is something you feel uncomfortable posting on, don't. It may be polite but if it makes you miserable just avoid it! No need to sadden yourself.
Don't forget to flag the post, of course! This helps the moderators switch it and the user will get more comments etc--helps WI and them!(Thanks to jillion for suggesting adding this-credit to jillion of course!)

OFF TOPIC

Happen across a 'BE MY FRIEND!!!' post in the Recipe Section? Maybe you want to go flame them for posting in the wrong section and spamming your favorite forum!! Don't. Just calmly post something like the 'topic' replies. Tell them about the 'Friend Making Forum' and either let them be your friend or wish them luck! Once again if the topic makes uncomfortable don't post on it. Once again, don't forget to flag the post, of course! This helps the moderators switch it and the user will get more comments etc--helps WI and them!(Thanks to jillion for suggesting adding this-credit to jillion of course!)

Q&A

How many times have you seen a thread with people going DUNNO to their question all over it? Just skipped over it and went on to that Lab Chat thread maybe? You could give them a simple answer THEN do it! Neverevereverevereverever answer 'I don't know!' Not only is this FLUFF, but rude. If you had a question with no posts or answers and suddenly someone posts 'I don't know.'... You see someone has posted. Finally they'll tell you how to make that Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich! You get my drift? If you really DON'T KNOW either look it up or give them a suggestion-- 'I think it has peanuts in it, unless there is Peanut Butter! Maybe Bananas and bread. I'm not positive though! At least we know it is on the Sandwich Maker! '
However if you do not thoroughly read the post this could happen:
(By{credit to} jillion! Thanks!)
"For example...
...the first two posters have already answered the question very nicely
...and a third poster comes in several hours later and says “I don’t know, but maybe it has peanut butter in it?”
...and then a fourth poster comes in and says “Maybe it’s not on the sandwich maker…have you tried it on the stove?”"
NOTE: I removed one section of jillion's words(more suggestion to me that for the guide anyway. =3).
You see, people appreciate your attitude, even if you don't know for sure!

TIPS

• Make your posts worthwhile to read.
  • Respect other peoples opinions.
  • Always read the ENTIRE first post. Read the comments or at least browse them!(Thanks{and credit!} to jillion for the second part of this tip!)
  • Be kind.
  • Always give rep points when they can or should be given.
  • Make friends or have fun with whomever you chat to!
  • Proofread your posts. If you are not using chatspeak and misspell everything people might think you don't care about their topic/post!
  • Don't be shy to respond to posts ON the topic and voice your opinion, though still respect others.
I hope you enjoyed my guide to help WI prosper and stay wonderfully nice!
Thanks again to jillion for your help!

Last edited by Mutt; 11-26-2007 at 08:51 PM..
Mutt is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
bostielove
Gifted

Default Re: Mutt's WI Etiquette Guide! :)

Anyone like it? =/
Mutt is offline Female
Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
Gift Guru

-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost-Lilypad rules the roost

I love it, great job! Rep points to you! This was really helpful! I especially like the off topic part, I have been seeing so much of that lately!
-Lilypad is offline Female
Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Webkinz :)

ChipmunkChick101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoyed reading this!! Awesome job! I hope more people will read this so we can all try to be a little more polite here on WI.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Gifted

jillion has a brilliant futurejillion has a brilliant futurejillion has a brilliant futurejillion has a brilliant futurejillion has a brilliant future

Very nicely written, Mutt! I like that you have included specific examples—makes it easy to understand. Good job!!

I don’t post much, but I do spend quite a bit of time (too much time?!) reading the posts on WI. I try to only post when I have something specific to contribute (otherwise I just sometimes leave rep w/ a nice comment). Here, I’d like to contribute to your thread by suggesting the following modifications/clarifications:

Mention flagging the post in your “OFF TOPIC” & “NO-POSTERS” sections? Also helpful to Flag the posts that are in the wrong section. That way, a moderator can move them to the appropriate section (and the thread will get better replies, usually).

Expand more on the tip “Always read the ENTIRE first post.” and "Q&A" part? It is certainly good to read the first post, but isn’t it equally good etiquette to read the other responses? Or at least browse through them? This is particularly true when there’s only a handful of posts in the thread: it seems disrespectful not to read them!!
It bothers me to see cases where the question has been answered and yet people act like it has not been. Sometimes there’s only, say, three or four posts and it’s embarrassingly clear that the last poster has not read the other responses.
For example...
...the first two posters (say, in your p.b. & jelly example above) have already answered the question very nicely
...and a third poster comes in several hours later and says “I don’t know, but maybe it has peanut butter in it?”
...and then a fourth poster comes in and says “Maybe it’s not on the sandwich maker…have you tried it on the stove?”
...and so on.
This seems rude to me, since not only does it ignore the other posters, but it also seems like they don’t really care about the thread-starter’s question in the first place (if they did honestly care, they would read the rest of the posts and see what has been discussed so far).
[I’ve also seen cases where a thread gives a "tip" that is promptly (and politely) discredited as a bad idea, but then a new poster will come in and say “Thanks for the great tip! Rep points!!!” which shows that they didn’t read the posts. LOL]

Anyway, thanks for the guide & making WI such a good & friendly place! I’ll pass it along as "Mutt's Manner Guide" when I can and hopefully more people will see it, use it, spread the word about it, and take it to heart. : )
jillion is offline Female
Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
bostielove
Gifted

Thanks so much everyone! =D
And, jillion, I'm glad you like it so much! I'll add your sections in with credit! =3 They're good! Also it is very true about your second comment. I will add that, although I reccomend especially reading the last page or two if there is say.. 10 pages? XD That's the only reason it could get hard. =]

---------- Mutt added 8 Minutes and 50 Seconds later ----------

P.S. Rep pts to all!

Last edited by Mutt; 11-26-2007 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Mutt is offline Female
Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Butterbaby9797

Smile Re: Mutt's WI Etiquette Guide! :)

What a spectacular guide! It was considerate, caring, friendly, and helpful. Many new members or even old members need this guide, and it was very nice of you to make this. I gave you a Rep Point, and I really want to thank you.

If you have extra time, here are some tips to make it even better:
  • Provide a "Scenario" section. That means you show a situation, and then explain the right and wrong things to do in the situation.
  • Explain that using the colors red and royal blue are off limits to people except Moderators or Administrators.
  • Show how different fonts and colors affect the vibe your message gives off. For example, if you use all capital letters, people may take it the wrong way. Or if you bold different words, they might get angry.
This was an excellent guide, and thank you again!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
emily7921

Wonderful tips all of you!! I loved reading them, anad these are just too marvelous and mannerly! Thank you!!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
Webkinz :)
luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!luvwebbies is the cats pajamas!

View Post Originally Posted by Mutt
Anyone like it? =/
Your post on etiquette is really great!!! And I agree with all of your suggestions!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write it, same for jillion (hope I'm spelling that correctly.)

thanks again!!

---------- luvwebbies added 2 Minutes and 38 Seconds later ----------

jillion---your portion of the etiquette guide was super!

This guide is great for ALL WI members!!!!!!!

thanks so much!

Last edited by luvwebbies; 11-26-2007 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
luvwebbies is offline Female
Old 11-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
bostielove
Gifted

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to add those new(credited tips) as well! =D
Mutt is offline Female
Closed