Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
loves
Webkinz :)

July wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonder

Donation Award 
Default How to use Corel Painter Essentials 4 to take out a background and add a new one

Corel Painter Essentials 4 is a really cool program! You can do lots of fun things with it, like take an existing photograph and make it look like a line drawing or an oil painting or a lot of other styles of art. But you can also do lots of other things with it, and this guide is specifically designed to help you go from this: Click the image to open in full size. to this: Click the image to open in full size.

You can download a free 60-day trial of Painter Essentials here: Painter Essentials 4 (Windows & Macintosh) - Painter Essentials 4 You will probably like it enough to want to buy it, but the trial is fully functional to give you plenty of opportunity to try it out. There are some great tutorial videos on the Corel website!

Ok. First, you will need to start with a blank canvas. Open up the program and choose to "Start Drawing and Painting." It will ask you what size canvas you want. It's easier to change the measurements to inches (it defaults to pixels). You will crop later, so give yourself a decent size canvas to start with. For images that will be appearing on screen, a resolution of 72 pixels per inch is appropriate.

Click the image to open in full size.

Once you have your blank canvas, you'll need to import the picture you're going to be working with. I am using a screenshot of my dragon, George, wearing his mohawk and perched in the crow's nest. There are lots of guides out there for getting screen shots, so just make sure you've got the picture you want to start from saved somewhere, and go to File and choose Place, and pick the image from where you saved it.

If your picture is larger than your canvas, or if you want to shrink it down some, you have the option of doing so as you're placing it on your canvas. In the picture below, you can see that if I move my cursor off the dialog box, it shows the size of the image I'm placing, which will help me determine if I need to shrink it or not. In this case I don't, but you could reduce the Scaling percentage in the dialog box if you wanted to import it smaller.

On the right side of the picture below, you can see that it shows that I now have 2 layers - the canvas layer, and the layer with George's picture on it. It imports the picture as a "reference layer," so to actually get it to be a real layer so I can work on it, I click on the eraser tool on the left, and then click on the picture to get this dialog box to come up. I click Commit, and I have a real layer to work with.

Now I'm ready to start erasing George's background. First I will use the magic wand tool (circled on the left) to select large areas and delete them using the backspace key. (Let me interject here to say that it's a good idea to start saving occasionally at this point, because if you lose the whole thing after you get much past here you're going to be very upset. To keep all your layers and everything and be able to work on them again, save in a .riff format. We'll save a copy later as a .jpg so you can put it on the web.)

You can keep selecting and deleting to get rid of more and more of the background. You may want to use the magnifying glass tool to zoom in some as you're working.

After you've gotten most of the big stuff, you can use the eraser tool to touch up any other spots that are hanging out. You can adjust the size of the eraser and other properties at the top of the screen.

Here's George all cleaned up.

Sorry, there are a lot of steps in this next picture. First, I am going to hide the George layer by clicking on the little eyeball beside him in the Layers list on the right. Then, I am going to select the canvas layer by clicking on it, so that the work I do next will be on the canvas, not on top of George. Then, to make my psychedelic background, I'm going to choose the paintbrush tool on the left bar, click the little arrow beside it to open the brush drawer, click on the pointy star to see the Effects tab, and choose the Seurat brush.

Next I'm going to get my Mixer palette over on the right side of the screen. There's a nice default mix of colors that you can use, or you can use the Colors right above the mixer to add some more colors in. Use the eyedropper tool to pick the color you want to start with (the color you pick will show up in the lower left corner of your screen). Then use the slider at the top of the screen to make your Seurat paintbrush tool pretty large, and then click and drag it across your canvas and see what happens!

Repeat the process by using the eyedropper to pick other colors, and swipe them across until you like the look of it. Then change the size of your paintbrush tool to make smaller dots of color across the big ones (didn't get a picture of doing the smaller dots, but experiment with it until you like it).

When you're satisfied with your background, click the eyeball beside your image layer again to see it on top of the background. You can use the layer adjuster tool to move your image around wherever you'd like it. You can also select your canvas layer again and add more detail behind your image. If you're getting really creative, you can add more layers, and more images, and more background, and move it all around until you like the way it looks. Once you have everything where you want it, save it one more time in .riff format, and then select your image layer and drop it into the canvas layer by click the little button that looks like a stack of papers under the layer section. This will merge your image layer with your canvas, so you can't move stuff around anymore (if you have multiple layers, you'll have to drop them all). From this point on, don't save again until we're done, if you want to be able to edit your layers again possibly.

After you have just a canvas layer with everything on it, use the crop tool to select the part of your image you want to use. I'm making an avatar, so I make a rough selection and then click and drag the lines to adjust the size of it. When you've got it the size you want, just click inside the selection (your cursor will look like a little pair of scissors) to crop it.

Now you've got your finished image. Just do Save As and save it as a .jpg for uploading to the web! You'll still have your .riff file if you want to go in later and play with your layers some more.

I hope this is helpful - please let me know if you have any questions!
July is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Gift Guru

vanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talentvanvan20 has lots of talent

Default Re: How to use Corel Painter Essentials 4 to take out a background and add a new one

Awesome job
Do you have to buy that? Just wondering
vanvan20 is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
Woohoo!! I'm a
Gift Guru

KinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond reputeKinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond reputeKinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond reputeKinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond reputeKinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond reputeKinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: How to use Corel Painter Essentials 4 to take out a background and add a new one

Cool program. Wish there was a simpler way to get rid of the background tho.

I use PSPX2
KinzCashHunter is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
loves

July wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonderJuly wows us all with wonder

Donation Award 

Thank you! You can use it free for 60 days, and the free trial version does everything the real one does. After 60 days you would need to buy it - it's about $100 US, which is kind of expensive, but it's a lot of fun. Chances are good though you could do most everything you want within the free trial period, and only people who are really serious about playing with their photos would need to buy it.
July is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
loves

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by KinzCashHunter
Cool program. Wish there was a simpler way to get rid of the background tho.

I use PSPX2
It actually didn't take me very long to erase the background using the magic wand, and I didn't have to do much touchup with the eraser. Granted, this was a pretty simple background. You could also use the magic wand holding down the control key and select the parts you wanted to keep, and then just invert the selection and delete that way.
July is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
Woohoo!! I'm a
Gift Guru

KinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond reputeKinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond reputeKinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond reputeKinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond reputeKinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond reputeKinzCashHunter has a reputation beyond repute

I have my own Dezine site on Myspace and I make Pic Dezinez for people, erasing the backgrounds takes forever on some pictures lol. I am a perfectionist tho, so it takes me a while to get it right. I always thought it was click here and the background is gone like magic LOL It isn't that simple. But WW pixels are a lot easier to erase than say a picture of friends or a day at the beach lol
KinzCashHunter is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
She's a Grooooovy
Gift Guru

EXOTERIC is a forum hero
EXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum heroEXOTERIC is a forum hero

July - thank you so much for taking the time to put this guide together. I have downloaded and started to play around with the demo version and really enjoying it - There is so much to explore. Watching the videos blew my mind...what fun can be had!! I really enjoy your tutorial here...I'll have to put it to practice and see what I come up with! Rep and Rated!
EXOTERIC is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
moving on
Gift Guru

chaotic is a splendid one to beholdchaotic is a splendid one to beholdchaotic is a splendid one to beholdchaotic is a splendid one to behold

wow, I don't think I have the skill, let alone the patience!

rep and rated also!-you got stars!! well deserved
chaotic is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
loves

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by KinzCashHunter
I have my own Dezine site on Myspace and I make Pic Dezinez for people, erasing the backgrounds takes forever on some pictures lol. I am a perfectionist tho, so it takes me a while to get it right. I always thought it was click here and the background is gone like magic LOL It isn't that simple. But WW pixels are a lot easier to erase than say a picture of friends or a day at the beach lol
I know what you mean!! I'm a bit of a perfectionist too, so it would be fantastic if it were just click and the background disappears! Actually, have you tried Adobe Photoshop Elements 7? I haven't downloaded the trial yet, but the selection tool they show in the demos looks nothing short of miraculous!

View Post Originally Posted by EXOTERIC
July - thank you so much for taking the time to put this guide together. I have downloaded and started to play around with the demo version and really enjoying it - There is so much to explore. Watching the videos blew my mind...what fun can be had!! I really enjoy your tutorial here...I'll have to put it to practice and see what I come up with! Rep and Rated!
Thanks, Exo! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

View Post Originally Posted by chaotic
wow, I don't think I have the skill, let alone the patience!

rep and rated also!-you got stars!! well deserved
Yay, stars! Thanks, chaotic! It's actually not as hard as it looks - let me know if you give it a try.
July is offline Female
Old 04-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
loves

Donation Award 

May I also mention that this program would be fabulous for designing a recipe food for the upcoming Webkinz Newz contest?
July is offline Female
Closed