Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Call me Savanah! (:
Webkinz :)

am708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roost

Default How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics!

How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp!

Have you ever seen those cool Bokeh backgrounds that look awesome if they are used as textures on graphics, or even as backgrounds? You can make your own.

1. Create a new document. 1600 x 1200 works the best. Fill the background with black.
Click the image to open in full size.

2. Create a new transparent layer and name it dark purple. (Make sure you name all of your layers because you will not know what it is later.)

3. Choose the color dark purple, and select the gradient tool. Change the shape to radial, the opacity to 50, and the gradient to FG to transparent.

4. Click the center of the black paper and drag your mouse outward so it creates a purple circle in the center.

5. Create a new transparent layer and name it as eclipse 1.

6. Choose the brush tool and change the color to white. Make sure the brush is on circle(19) and scale it to 10.00. Then click the brush dynamic options and change the values to the ones in the image below. Make sure you put checkmarks in the correct boxes. Now put a checkmark in the box that says apply jitter, and change the amount to 10.00. BEFORE MOVING TO THE NEXT STEP, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DID EVERYTHING IN THIS STEP. YOUR TOOLBOX SHOULD LOOK LIKE THE IMAGE BELOW.

7. Now start painting on your paper. It should forms little circles everywhere.

8. Go to filters>blur> Gaussian blur. For this layer, use 40 pixels for the horizontal and 40 pixels for Vertical. When you click ok, the circles should turn blurry.

9. Create another layer and name it eclipse 2. Paint some more circles on the paper.

10. Go to Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur. For this layer, use 10 pixels for Horizontal, and 10 pixels for vertical.

11. Create another layer and name it eclipse 3. Now paint some more circles on the paper. Go to Filters>blur>Gaussian blur and use 1 pixel for horizontal and 1 pixel for vertical.

12. Create a new layer and name it clouds. Fill this layer with white. Go to filters>render>clouds>different clouds. Change the detail to 4, and check the boxes that say randomize and tilable.

13. Change the layer mode to overlay.

14. Create another layer and name it gradient.

15. Select the gradient tool and change the gradient to Full Saturation Spectrum Gradient. Change the opacity to 100, and change the shape to linear.

16. Drag your mouse across the screen so that it’s covered in rainbow. Change the layer mode to overlay and it should look like this so far:

17. Go to layer eclipse 3 and change the layer mode to grain merge.

18. Go to layer eclipse 2 and change the layer mode to Hard Light.

19. You’re finally done! Here is what the final result should look like:

Here is another one I made using smaller circles:

Some tips:
-Try experimenting by changing things up a little, you never know what the results may be!
-Instead of using a rainbow gradient, try using another colored gradient!
-Try changing the size of your circle brush
-Try changing the background color from black to something else

The possibilities are endless!

It will probably take you a while to make this, but it sure is worth it at the end! The result is beautiful. (: Post your results below! I would love to see them.
am708 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
♥YOU should smile♥
Gift Guru

b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness
b1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicnessb1uski3sxox is epic beyond epicness

Default Re: How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics!

That. Is amazing.

Gonna go make one now! Be back in two hours!

*back from gimp* ... DUUUUUDE. What kind of wizard are you?

I decided to put mine in a spoiler 'cause it's so big. XD
Spoiler: show

All right, I'm bookmarking this thread. THANK YOU for this guide. Gonna go make a bajillion of these to use as textures.

Last edited by b1uski3sxox; 12-28-2011 at 03:00 PM..
b1uski3sxox is offline Male
Old 12-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Call me Savanah! (:

am708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roostam708 rules the roost

Default Re: How to make a Bokeh effect background in Gimp! Can be used as textures on graphics!

View Post Originally Posted by b1uski3sxox
That. Is amazing.

Gonna go make one now! Be back in two hours!

*back from gimp* ... DUUUUUDE. What kind of wizard are you?

I decided to put mine in a spoiler 'cause it's so big. XD

All right, I'm bookmarking this thread. THANK YOU for this guide. Gonna go make a bajillion of these to use as textures.
That is awesome! Great job! Have fun making them. (:
am708 is offline Female
Old 12-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Gift Guru

catzrock has disabled reputation

Wow this looks so amazing! Thank you for the great guide. I will definitely try it!

Here's mine!

Last edited by catzrock; 12-28-2011 at 03:31 PM..
catzrock is offline Female
Old 12-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Wacky Be
Gifted

wikylo is a creator of wonder
wikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonderwikylo is a creator of wonder

great guide

I learned from another tutorial so long ago, and I remember it being really hard. Still made it work though haha This one is a lot easier.

great job!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Call me Savanah! (:

View Post Originally Posted by catzrock
Wow this looks so amazing! Thank you for the great guide. I will definitely try it!

Here's mine!

No problem, that looks great!

View Post Originally Posted by wikylo
great guide

I learned from another tutorial so long ago, and I remember it being really hard. Still made it work though haha This one is a lot easier.

great job!
Thanks. I'm glad it's easy to understand. I was afraid it was too long and complicated.
am708 is offline Female
Old 12-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #7

lovethemavatars has disabled reputation

Nice guide! I'll definitely give it a try!

Here's mine

I made my gradient in the back Pink instead of Dark Purple...

Last edited by lovethemavatars; 12-28-2011 at 06:15 PM..
lovethemavatars is offline Female
Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Call me Savanah! (:

View Post Originally Posted by lovethemavatars
Nice guide! I'll definitely give it a try!

Here's mine

I made my gradient in the back Pink instead of Dark Purple...
That looks amazing! (: I like how you changed the gradient.
am708 is offline Female
Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
oooow

Lanawas is a saintly comradeLanawas is a saintly comradeLanawas is a saintly comradeLanawas is a saintly comrade
Lanawas is a saintly comradeLanawas is a saintly comradeLanawas is a saintly comrade

WOW.
Thats AWESOME!!
Definitely going to try this!!
Would be such a cool background for my computer. lol
Thanks for the great guide!
Lanawas is offline Female
Old 12-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Call me Karen

webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!

Awesome! Here is the first one I made, following your steps:

This one I used different gradient colors for both gradient steps:

And I made a graphic using the rainbow one I made as a texture:

webkinzlover218 is offline Female
Closed

Tags