First off, I'm pretty sure this is allowed because it's very different than the other sprite guide.
I've had a few people ask me how I made those sprites (and more!), so here's my own guide. Please note that I work with Microsoft Paint, so if you have another graphics program it may be slightly different.
This technique should be fairly fast and easy, and it got 37 of my sprites added to WI
so far!! To make the sprite:
• First, go to this page: http://www.webkinzinsider.com/catalog/pets/all/alpha
and pick the Webkinz you want to make a sprite of. Right Click and Copy the image.
• Open MS Paint (Paint, comes free with PCs) or any other graphics program (Adobe Fireworks, Photoshop, Gimp, etc.) and paste the image of the Webkinz you copied.
• Use the magnifying glass to zoom in. Don't click any of the numbers, you'll want the automatic one (4x) or more. Go to "view" at the top bar and mouse over "Zoom" and click "Show Grid." It'll make things easier.
• Use the scroll bars to fix the view until you can see the image you copied and where you're making the sprite clearly.
• This is the hardest part- work pixel by pixel and piece by piece. Use the pencil tool-
the smallest one- to make the outline
first. You want to start with the head. Make the shapes and colors as similar as possible or as you want- it's a good idea to use the eyedropper tool for exact colors. Then, work inside the face- the nose, eyes, and anything for the muzzle or markings. Then, work on the legs/chest- make the front legs first, then connect them with a single line; then anything like shaggy fur (
for example) and whatnot. Then, work on the back paws and, if there is one, the tail.
• Zoom out to check your sprite. If you like how it turned out, save it as a PNG file.
Sprite Guidelines: To animate it:
• Make a change to your image- winking, blinking, tail wagging, waving, etc. and save it as another PNG file with a different name (ex. "slide1" and "slide2")
• Go to lunapic.com
• Upload the files
• Click "Upload" (*well, duh*)
• If you want to change the animation speed, go to "Animation" on the bar at the top and click "Frame Timing" and experiment until you get what you want
• Save the image as a GIF file To make it transparent:
•(if there is a lot of white in the image make the background a different color)• Go to lunapic (link^^)
• Upload the PNG file(s) (works with animation too)
• Go to "Edit" at the bar on the top and "Transparent" will be at the bottom of the drop-down list
• Click the color you want transparent
• Save as a GIF file To post on WI:
• Upload it from tinypic.com or another image uploading site
• Post on this thread
and see it it gets added... Or just use it as an avatar or signature! ~TIPS~ • Try to zoom out once in a while to see how it's going • Put a tiny white dot somewhere in the eye to show the shine • Symmetry is always good... maybe make on leg then copy and paste it and click "Image," "Flip/Rotate" (or ctrl+ R) and "Flip Horizontal" • If there's black in the pixel and you want to show the detail ( paws), make it a dark gray that's light enough to see the detail clearly but dark enough to give the illusion of being black! • Try different poses, angles, and proportions! Like making just the head, or head & shoulders, or showing it the way you see it from the side in WW. Or you could make a sitting Webkinz! • Try making it animated besides winking or blinking. You never know- it might turn out looking better! (visual on post #5)
Thanks for reading my guide and using my sprites!