Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
gangnam style
Webkinz :)

tarsky781 challenges the impossibletarsky781 challenges the impossible

Default How I make Webkinz Sprites (PC)

First off, I'm pretty sure this is allowed because it's very different than the other sprite guide.
~~~

I've had a few people ask me how I made those sprites (and more!), so here's my own guide. Please note that I work with Microsoft Paint, so if you have another graphics program it may be slightly different.

This technique should be fairly fast and easy, and it got 37 of my sprites added to WI so far!!

To make the sprite:
• First, go to this page:
http://www.webkinzinsider.com/catalog/pets/all/alpha and pick the Webkinz you want to make a sprite of. Right Click and Copy the image.
• Open MS Paint (Paint, comes free with PCs) or any other graphics program (Adobe Fireworks, Photoshop, Gimp, etc.) and paste the image of the Webkinz you copied.
• Use the magnifying glass to zoom in. Don't click any of the numbers, you'll want the automatic one (4x) or more. Go to "view" at the top bar and mouse over "Zoom" and click "Show Grid." It'll make things easier.
• Use the scroll bars to fix the view until you can see the image you copied and where you're making the sprite clearly.
• This is the hardest part- work pixel by pixel and piece by piece. Use the pencil tool- the smallest one- to make the outline first. You want to start with the head. Make the shapes and colors as similar as possible or as you want- it's a good idea to use the eyedropper tool for exact colors. Then, work inside the face- the nose, eyes, and anything for the muzzle or markings. Then, work on the legs/chest- make the front legs first, then connect them with a single line; then anything like shaggy fur ( for example) and whatnot. Then, work on the back paws and, if there is one, the tail.
• Zoom out to check your sprite. If you like how it turned out, save it as a PNG file.

New WI Sprite Guidelines:
Quote:
Each dimension must be no smaller than 30px and no larger than 34px (so you can have 34x34 or 31x34, 32x32, etc).
Sprites must be in GIF or PNG format (JPGs can't have transparency, and making a JPG sprite transparent is quite difficult on our end).
Must be your original work. (Although you may use the current WI sprites as a base)
The easiest way to make them is to use the "Pencil" tool in your drawing program.

To animate it:
• Make a change to your image- winking, blinking, tail wagging, waving, etc. and save it as another PNG file with a different name (ex. "slide1" and "slide2")
• Go to lunapic.com
• Upload the files
• Click "Upload" (*well, duh*)
• If you want to change the animation speed, go to "Animation" on the bar at the top and click "Frame Timing" and experiment until you get what you want
• Save the image as a GIF file

To make it transparent:
•(if there is a lot of white in the image make the background a different color)• Go to lunapic (link^^)
• Upload the PNG file(s) (works with animation too)
• Go to "Edit" at the bar on the top and "Transparent" will be at the bottom of the drop-down list
• Click the color you want transparent
• Save as a GIF file

To post on WI:
• Upload it from tinypic.com or another image uploading site
• Post on this thread and see it it gets added... Or just use it as an avatar or signature!

~TIPS~
• Try to zoom out once in a while to see how it's going
• Put a tiny white dot somewhere in the eye to show the shine
• Symmetry is always good... maybe make on leg then copy and paste it and click "Image," "Flip/Rotate" (or ctrl+ R) and "Flip Horizontal"
• If there's black in the pixel and you want to show the detail ( paws), make it a dark gray that's light enough to see the detail clearly but dark enough to give the illusion of being black!
• Try different poses, angles, and proportions! Like making just the head, or head & shoulders, or showing it the way you see it from the side in WW. Or you could make a sitting Webkinz!
• Try making it animated besides winking or blinking. You never know- it might turn out looking better!

(visual on post #5)

~~~
Thanks for reading my guide and using my sprites!

Last edited by tarsky781; 09-17-2010 at 10:51 PM..
tarsky781 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
carry on.
Gifted

coolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roostcoolio101 rules the roost

Default Re: How I make Webkinz Sprites

Thank you for the guide! It was very helpful - 5 stars!

Last edited by coolio101; 08-23-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Call me Luna!

Ms.Pacman is just really niceMs.Pacman is just really nice

that is a great thread! i was trying to draw them by memory, and that didn't turn out so well. Now I will try it like this. Thank you!
Ms.Pacman is offline Female
Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
ill make Xmas great

RobertFrog wows us all with wonderRobertFrog wows us all with wonderRobertFrog wows us all with wonderRobertFrog wows us all with wonderRobertFrog wows us all with wonderRobertFrog wows us all with wonderRobertFrog wows us all with wonderRobertFrog wows us all with wonderRobertFrog wows us all with wonder

That's so cool! I might try!

Push them for a sprite! Not really.
We have over 100 new sprites now!
Let's get more sprites, people!
RobertFrog is offline Male
Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
gangnam style

Thanks for posting everyone, and good luck making sprites
--
~Here's an example of what it looks like while I make a Moon Fox (zoomed in 400% with grid):
Click the image to open in full size.

As you may be able to see, I don't just draw and shrink/resize, I start by making it an actual 30-34 x 30-34 pixel sprite.

Here are the one's I've made that are currently on WI:

Last edited by tarsky781; 09-17-2010 at 10:57 PM..
Old 08-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
oe is me !!

Bubblesluver821 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundBubblesluver821 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundBubblesluver821 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundBubblesluver821 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundBubblesluver821 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundBubblesluver821 radiates beauty and kindness all aroundBubblesluver821 radiates beauty and kindness all around

Yayz! I love your SeaSpray Dolphin!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Gdfgjbg is sweet stuff
Gdfgjbg is sweet stuffGdfgjbg is sweet stuffGdfgjbg is sweet stuffGdfgjbg is sweet stuffGdfgjbg is sweet stuffGdfgjbg is sweet stuff

Thanks for the guide! I'll use this to make a next sprite later.
Gdfgjbg is offline Male
Old 08-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
hoah, DC has my

onc1 is on a distinguished road

Awesome guide! It's very detailed and explains things well. Great job!
onc1 is offline Female
Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #9

158lawhop is sweet stuff
158lawhop is sweet stuff158lawhop is sweet stuff158lawhop is sweet stuff158lawhop is sweet stuff158lawhop is sweet stuff

Great Guide! I'm going to go make a Sprite now!

I have a Question, when your ready to start painting, What do you do becuse I have no Idea.

Last edited by 158lawhop; 08-23-2010 at 12:49 PM..
158lawhop is offline Female
Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
gangnam style

View Post Originally Posted by 158lawhop
Great Guide! I'm going to go make a Sprite now!

I have a Question, when your ready to start painting, What do you do becuse I have no Idea.
What do you mean?
---
(continuation of post 5):

Last edited by tarsky781; 09-17-2010 at 10:58 PM..
Closed

Tags
followyourheart<33, hi :), nacho cheese, v w c a t b u s