Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #931
Webkinz :)

jennkinz has a spectacular aura aboutjennkinz has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: How to Give Reputation and Much More

I always wondered what those boxes meant!!!
jennkinz is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #932
Gift Guru

curiousg has disabled reputation

WI Subscriber
Donation Level 2 

View Post Originally Posted by MamaDragon3
I'm wondering if there's a limit to how much rep one person can give in a day? I think I'm guilty of the opposite--I often thank people on a thread, or even send them a PM note, but I don't often give rep and I think I should be doing it more often. I just don't think about it. So, if I start giving rep more often, is there a limit to how much/many I can do in a day? I don't plan on splashing random rep or anything, but if the limit is like 3 or 5, I know I must be pickier. Can anyone help with a number? Thanks in advance!
I can't remember the exact number, but it is closer to 40 or 50 than it is to 3 or 5.

You should not feel obligated to give reputation. There are many different philosophies, I suspect, on reputation:
One view: Reputation should only be given for actually helpful information. And that information should be related to webkinz or webkinz insider. This philosophy is much like the philosophy used (I suspect) to evaluate "good posts" in requests to join gift exchange. This is a perfectly valid philosophy of how to give reputation, and perhaps unconsciously you have taken this philosophy. In this view, I think that you would rarely if ever give reputation to any posts in the "social" section of the forum. Another way to think of this is to compare it to giving grades in school. "A" grades should be reserved for the very best work. Not everyone should get an A. Not getting an A doesn't mean that you are "bad" - in fact B work is still good work! And C work is average.

Another view: I am thankful actually that the moderators seem open to allowing others of us to use reputation in other ways. I use reputation more broadly, even sometimes as commentary on particular posts. It is OK, as far as I know, to use reputation this way, but then you must keep in mind that the reputation status of a person on wi really is not reflective of how much they have contributed to the forum.

So, I guess what I am trying to say, is be whoever you want to be: be a person who has high standards and reserves reputation for the very best & so lifts the bar for us all so that we all try harder. I really respect that view, perhaps because I work in education and I understand the value of a meaningful grade that is not inflated.

On the other hand, I admit that I tend to go probably too far the other way. WI isn't school so I enjoy being able to give lots of positive rep even in the social section, just because it is nice. My rep is more commentary and support.

You can be supportive with either philosophy: if you like to be conservative with giving reputation, then you can instead leave nice VM or PM messages. In many ways this is perhaps better than commentary rep because not everyone on WI knows how to check their rep!
curiousg is offline Female
Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #933
Summer, come back!

kawee is a saintly comradekawee is a saintly comradekawee is a saintly comradekawee is a saintly comrade
kawee is a saintly comrade

Thanks! This is great info.
kawee is offline Female
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #934
The GTS Works!

MamaDragon3 has a reputation beyond reputeMamaDragon3 has a reputation beyond reputeMamaDragon3 has a reputation beyond reputeMamaDragon3 has a reputation beyond reputeMamaDragon3 has a reputation beyond reputeMamaDragon3 has a reputation beyond repute

View Post Originally Posted by curiousg
I can't remember the exact number, but it is closer to 40 or 50 than it is to 3 or 5.

You should not feel obligated to give reputation. There are many different philosophies, I suspect, on reputation:
One view: Reputation should only be given for actually helpful information. And that information should be related to webkinz or webkinz insider. This philosophy is much like the philosophy used (I suspect) to evaluate "good posts" in requests to join gift exchange. This is a perfectly valid philosophy of how to give reputation, and perhaps unconsciously you have taken this philosophy. In this view, I think that you would rarely if ever give reputation to any posts in the "social" section of the forum. Another way to think of this is to compare it to giving grades in school. "A" grades should be reserved for the very best work. Not everyone should get an A. Not getting an A doesn't mean that you are "bad" - in fact B work is still good work! And C work is average.

So, I guess what I am trying to say, is be whoever you want to be: be a person who has high standards and reserves reputation for the very best & so lifts the bar for us all so that we all try harder. I really respect that view, perhaps because I work in education and I understand the value of a meaningful grade that is not inflated.
Thank you! I am also a former teacher. I started staying home when my 2nd child was born and never went back. I have occasionally taught at night at the local community college, but haven't done that in a year or so. So, maybe it's the teacher in me? I like that thought. I HAVE given rep before, but like you said, only to people who were extremely helpful to me. I guess I see people giving it to me far more often than I'm giving it out, and just wondering if I should be giving more. Thanks for helping me work it all out in my head! I think I will start giving more, but only a little more. That's my compromise!
MamaDragon3 is offline Female
Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #935
Gift Guru

curiousg has disabled reputation

WI Subscriber
Donation Level 2 

View Post Originally Posted by MamaDragon3
Thank you! I am also a former teacher. I started staying home when my 2nd child was born and never went back. I have occasionally taught at night at the local community college, but haven't done that in a year or so. So, maybe it's the teacher in me? I like that thought. I HAVE given rep before, but like you said, only to people who were extremely helpful to me. I guess I see people giving it to me far more often than I'm giving it out, and just wondering if I should be giving more. Thanks for helping me work it all out in my head! I think I will start giving more, but only a little more. That's my compromise!

And a good compromise! I think those of us that are on WI a lot realize after a while who has the high standards, and we value any rep from them all the more because of it. And for those of us that give lots of rep, I value them for helping me and others feel more secure in the forum.

I like to think that the forum is better because of *both* types of rep givers.
curiousg is offline Female
Old 06-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #936
hyyy my emotions ugh

CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!

Thanks...I was wondering about that!
CocoaGirl96 is offline Female
Old 06-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #937
Diabetes Awareness!

Arya is a name known to allArya is a name known to allArya is a name known to all

wow thanks for the info (:
Arya is offline Female
Old 06-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #938
Gift Guru

pinky719 is sweet stuff
pinky719 is sweet stuffpinky719 is sweet stuffpinky719 is sweet stuffpinky719 is sweet stuffpinky719 is sweet stuffpinky719 is sweet stuffpinky719 is sweet stuff

thank youuuu! (:
pinky719 is offline Female
Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #939
Gifted

smallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roostsmallmonkey953 rules the roost

Thank you! This is a great guide!!!
smallmonkey953 is offline Female
Old 06-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #940
Liberty

SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!SugarFrenzy is not just visiting!

Thanks!
SugarFrenzy is offline Female
Closed

Tags
apple pie ♥, five starz!, great guide!, kevinelevin was here!, marielofredwall was here, murphy20071 wuz here!♥, pawsome thread! -luree, poguee_smiles:), reputation stuff, thanks :), zoo-wee mama!, [no comment], ~123:)