Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Goodbye!
Webkinz :)

iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!

Wink Guide To a SUCCESSFUL Meet My Webkinz Family thread!! Updated March 3rd on the 'do' list!

Okay! Thread not going so well? Planning to make one? Here's a few TIPS of what I've seen popular threads have or lack.
DO:
Post many pictures. People like pictures; if you don't have pictures, I can almost guarantee the less views. UNLESS it is more of a book-type thing. In THAT case, you use sprites and punctuate, spell, and use grammar correctly.
Update in spare time. Trust me, if you say "Oh I'll update tomorrow..." Then you will KEEP putting it off. You get lazy; the process of taking pictures, uploading to computer, uploading to a image-hosting site, can be time consuming.
Update on weekends. Unless you are going somewhere, there is not many excuses for not updating on weekends. It just makes you seem lazy, and besides: you'll be keeping people deciding if your thread is good or not waiting!
Have a banner. I change mine with the holidays; but some have had their's for billions of years xD. If you don't have the skills, I suggest going to a shop before you open your thread. It seems un-organized to say 'banner under construction' on the first day or so. (But I wouldn't say on your new thread 'banner wanted' or 'please make me a banner'. People will make you banners if they enjoy your work; and it is a compliment! NOT them saying that your banner stinks.
Come up with creative title. Which would you rather click: +.:THE AMAZING HOUSE OF KINZ:.+ or MY WEBKINZ? The title is what gives people a clue of what will be inside. Ex: The pizzakinz! Home of the glass pizza! What I get out of it is that a) there may be some non-webkinz counter balance, b) they have a glass pizza, and c) may be obsessed with food.
Give reasons why you are not updating. If you said 'update wednesday!', and, uh, NO update, people are going to think 'is this going to happen often?' Even if I am busier than a beaver during flood season, I try to squeeze in a 'sorry I can't update, Aunt Muffin wants me over tomorrow'.
Change the perspective a bit. They don't want the perspective to stay with one person/kinz EVERY TIME! Try having a 'changing POV' type update. Ex: Mufflie walked out the door, to find the long lost muffin key. ~*~*~*~ Dew heard the door open, and knew that Mufflie had not listened. She sighed and followed. See what I mean? It gives a sort of 'thrill' that a 'cliff hanger' gives as well.
Make good, long updates. You don't want a two picture update, right? You certainly don't want people to think you are a lazy/short/bad updater! Give at least 1 or 2 parts, 15-20+ pictures gives a hook to the fish. They must keep scrolling. Unless the storyline is bad...
Give a good mix of virtual, plush, and word updates. Too many virtual updates seem like you are a bit lazy, too many plush and you feel smooshed. More than 2 word entries a month(unless a story, again) gives the 'ok I won't find updates here' feeling.
Use the title changing to your advantage. Some people wont 'check by often!' to see if you update. How do they know you didn't just post a comment? So I'd do this: !Thread Title!- Updated 1-2-2698! or THRRRRRREAD TITLE! UPDATED 5-5-5555 WITH UPDATE ABOUT SQUIDS!
Use copy and paste symbols in your title. IDK why, it just works. But beware, some computers can't see special symbols like hearts and stars, so it might appear as a '?' or some number in a box thing. Not too many, and not over used ones.
Make a list of your webkinz. To force people to read a few names, don't put them in a spoiler. Put them in a spoiler if it makes the post twenty feet long. Try something like this: blue= boys pink=girls
example name-typepet example name-type pet
Color the first post in many colors.
You want to read a more creative post, correct? (:But colors like this are hard to read and strain the eyes, right? Red and Blue are reserved for mods and admins, but you can use them to color a rainbow sentence, or very small things.
Do surveys; you want to know what your fans want and love about your thread!
Be sure to have two kinds of "picture stories": One that's your casual, funny, everyday picture story, and one with a nice plot that's a good 5-9 parts long. Fans love a mixture!
It helps to have a schedule. Like the "big" and "important" updates for that month, to help keep your fans excited.
Write down your notes for updates somewhere, like in Word or in a journal so that you can easily get back to them and think about them thoroughly.
Have an outline for "important/big" stories: it really helps to have your story written out in a basic way, and then you can get back to small details.
Do various updates. I realize what my fans like to see in my thread, and what they don't. So, try various updates from all corners in your mind. You'll never know what happens!

DON'T:
Use the same webkinz, or just your faves/new ones. This is something I see all too much. They choose favorites, their 'hard-to-get' pets, new release pets, or an already commonly used pet. I choose webkinz according to the story, who would fit better. You don't want to see the same kinz ALL THE TIME do you?
Put non-webkinz in your updates often. UNLESS they are like an 'advice giver' or something. This is a MMWF thread, people! They expect your webkinz, not your... uh... littlest pet shops too much!
Take a random hiatus/break. Please tell your dear readers that you are leaving, even for a few days. They want updates, darn it!
Steal other's work. You can copy the idea of cooking food with a webkinz, or going on a walk with your webkinz, etc. But not the ENTIRE THING. Yeeshers, you just seem rude and lazy.
Revolve around randomness. It makes you seem like you are begging for them to click. Craziness, randomness, whacko, etc is used a lot, so imply it without using the exact word.
Add attachments. Upload them to an image hosting site, like photobucket or tinypic(what I use). People wouldn't like to click on attachments after reading the story very much...

Other tips:
You won't always get comments, so don't post 'why does nobody like my thread' In the first week. New threads usually get the 'can't wait', 'looks good', 'nice thread' comments. They don't want you to feel left out, but don't expect comments for each update.
Notification Lists are a big responsibility. Although they add popularity, they can, and possibly WILL, get huge. PM's only take 5 recipients per message, and VM's take even longer. I suggest adding 'bonuses' to notification listers. It is a 'semi-trick': They get bonuses, people want bonus pictures, they join, and others say 'hey it MUST be good for THAT big of a NL!'.
Color coding can add confusion. I apologize, but more than one webkinz being color coded makes my head hurt. People aren't going to memorize your webbie's 'special color' that they post in. It is easier to put 'said Sparkle' than
color coding each letter or sentence.
If you don't have lots o' time, don't open a MMWF. If you don't have spare time, don't make a Notification List. MMWF threads are very demanding. You also have competition and slow traffic days. Plus, I don't think people liked my 'Homeless Hippo' update very well. I'm okay with that; I have room for improvement! And Notifications; if you tell them BEFORE, then you can't count on your power going off suddenly. Or your camera being eaten by a boar. Afterwards is easier, but there are times you can't notify. Like if you post late and you have to go to bed, at the end of the update, say 'sorry I can't notify, insert reason here'. They will understand.
READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING. Things like a 'bump' post to get your thread at the top of the list are against the rules. So read before you commit the... deed?
When popular threads die, the readers find a new thread like angry bees. They need something new; YOUR TIME TO SHINE!
Your signature is a GREAT way to advertise your MWWF. Why, the first MWWF I ever loved was based on a signature-click. A good image that people will want to click, that is MMWF related of course, can help greatly. So post in lots of places, you won't know who'll click! (not fluff posts though; why don't you use this opportunity to count towards your 50 non-fluff posts so you can be a GT?)
Keep a hard copy of bigger updates. Some of them can't be up in a day, and you don't want to lose your train of thought!

My Webkinz-Choosing Method/Making a storyline Method:
1-Make the storyline for the update. Well, if its a parody of The Lion King you aren't going to use a dolphin as the main character, right? Lions! Don't have a lion? Wait for one. Save the idea in a notebook, then, when you get a lion, make the update.
2-For multiples of the same pet, use auditions. If you have ninety cats but can only fit twenty into the webkinz version of CATS!, then make an update out of it! People love audition or try-out updates. BUT, I don't know about American Idol types though...
3-Base On Personality. If its about a shopaholic, don't use your socially advanced webkinz! Use your shopoholic webbie!!!

NEVER GIVE UP!!!! NO MATTER WHAT!

If any of this seems rude, tell me, and I will fix it. I spent a LOT of my time to make this, and this is only to HELP. Not to be mean!!!

Last edited by iamsam; 03-03-2011 at 08:14 PM..
iamsam is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #2

copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!

Default Re: Guide To a SUCCESSFUL Meet My Webkinz Family thread!!

Great guide! May I also suggest adding in,"Keep a hard copy of bigger updates- Some of them can't be up in a day, and you don't want to lose your train of thought!"

Just a suggestion.

Rep for you! Well, after I spread it around a bit. XD
copycat123 is offline Female
Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Goodbye!

iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!iamsam is the bees knees!

Okay, I will add that! Thanks!
iamsam is offline Female
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #4

copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!copycat123 is the bees knees!

View Post Originally Posted by iamsam
Okay, I will add that! Thanks!
Your welcome!
copycat123 is offline Female
Old 02-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Leanie

dogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our ears
dogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our earsdogfins is music to our ears

Thanks! This helped me! I'm thinking of making one in the future...... We'll see!
dogfins is offline Female
Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡

chocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roostchocluver223 rules the roost

This may seem dumb but what's an update and how do I do one?
Helpful/nice tip about grammar. Makes me know I should really have that in my threads.
chocluver223 is offline Female
Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Goodbye!

An update is a entry that you post in your MMWF thread.
iamsam is offline Female
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
GLUB GLUB ♥
Gift Guru

Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!
Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!

WHOO! Thanks for posting this Hanna.
Its a wonderful and well written guide.
I think one of the biggest rules/suggestions would be to never give up.
What I mean is when no one comments you shouldn't give up.
Or quit posting.
It just means you need to try some of these tips to get more people interested.

Rep for you.
♥Blythe
Blythe is offline Female
Old 02-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #9

MixedCelery has a brilliant futureMixedCelery has a brilliant futureMixedCelery has a brilliant futureMixedCelery has a brilliant futureMixedCelery has a brilliant future

Thanks! I'll take this into consideration while I reopen my thread.
I'm not sure if it's already up there, but have a balance between random and normal. I've seen a thread where everything was to random, the plot line jumped around, and it made me not want to comment.
MixedCelery is offline Female
Old 02-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
NaNo WC: 50,000!
Gift Guru

inlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roostinlovewithstitch626 rules the roost

Great tips; This will surely help out some people
inlovewithstitch626 is offline Female
Closed

Tags
lhl was here, rickety wuz here, yomcnugget