Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
Banned
♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Default A Guide to Making Graphics -- by ♥Taylor♥

Welcome!
Congratulations! You have taken up an interest in graphics making. There’s a endless world of possibilities with the click of a mouse and a few keystrokes. You’ve probably been poking and prodding around the AVATARS AND SIGNATURES section, itching to start a shop, but not entirely sure if your stuff is good enough, or if anyone would order. My tip to you: Don’t start until you’re absolutely comfortable with your creations, and you feel like you’re ready. To begin your journey, follow my steps below.

Auto-Graphics
If you’re looking for simple graphics to make yourself, and not distribute, then sites such as IIMAGECHEF, ERROR MESSAGES, FREE GRAPHICS, CAPTION-IT, MY TEXT GRAPHICS and FAMILY LOBBY are great. All you do is add effects that are preset. They’re nice, cute things for whenever you want them. A few other automatic graphic makes include MINIFESTOS, SCREEDBOTS and USERBAR MAKER. To change the color of the text/background on the Minifestos or Screedbots, go to the site COMPUTER HOPE for HTML codes. Copy the code and paste it into the FG box for text, or the BG box to change the color on the background. Also, for backgrounds and such, try THIS website.

Blobs, Pixels, and Dolls
You know those adorably cute little puff blobs that bring everyone joy? Those are created by various people, and can be found at different sites such as ANIKAOS, LOLAART and BLOSSOM.NU. There are many other sites as well, those are just some of the most part. For dolls, there are sites such as LUNAII, DOLLZMANIA, THE DOLL PALACE, and eLOUAI. For a list of more doll sites, check out Priceless’s thread, located HERE.

In the Beginning, There was Glitter
Now that you’re ready to go on and make your own graphics (sort of), then glitter is the way to start. If you’re an old school graphic maker, such as myself, you probably remember GLITTERFY being the number one site for practically anything in the beginning of your creations. Glitterfy is perhaps the easiest and most simple graphic generator. To add glitter to a photo, go to Upload Picture. From there, it’s fairly self explanatory. For other simple glitter sites, try out GLITTERBASE, GLITTERMAKER, GLITTERYOURWAY, BLINGEE, GLITTERTEXTLIVE and SPARKLEE. They all come with small tags at the bottom, which can be annoying, but these sites are good for learning the basics.

Image Editors

Once you’ve mastered the art of glitter, it’s time to move onto actually manipulating and editing your images. If you have a Facebook, then you’ve probably heard of PICNIK. On Picnik, you can upload photos, crop, resize, add effects, colorize, lighten/darken/sharpen, plus add text, borders and stickers. The wide variety of fonts, effects and stickers makes endless possibilities. You can also adjust the Opacity of your text/stickers, and do much more. Other good sites for adding text and effects include EDIT-MY-PICTURES, ONLINE-IMAGE-EDITOR and PHOTOBUCKET. A few more advanced image editing websites include PIXLR, SPLASHUP, SUMOPAINT and AVIARY. LUNAPIC is also good for animation and adding/animating text.

Starting a Shop
By now, your graphics are probably good enough to open your own shop. Here are a few tips on starting a shop:

• Make sure you use correct grammar and spelling. People want to make sure their graphic is perfect, and nothing misspelled. If a banner/header is misspelled, then most people will automatically turn away.

• Don't make your images attachments. Use web hosting sites, such as TINYPIC, PHOTOBUCKET, or IMAGESHACK. Copy and paste the [IMG] [/IMG] code into your post and your image will be there.

• Be kind and friendly. Nobody wants to order from someone who is rude. Also, if ordering somewhere, be nice and specific in your order, that way the maker knows what you're asking for.

• Don't post graphics in spoilers. Most people don’t want to open spoilers and look at graphics. They like to see their options, then decide on what they would like. Put text (such as forms, things to know) in spoilers. Don’t put rules in spoilers, however, if you really want people to read your rules.

•Try to put your graphics into the first or second post. A typical "professional" layout for a shop may look something like this: (If you’re opening a solo shop, disregard posts 4-6)

........Post 1 - Rules, About Me, Important Graphics/Eye catchers. (for thread-making partner)
................Tip: Make this post eye-catching. If people have to scroll or search for graphics, they are going to move onto a new shop, most likely. If you have affiliates, that would be great here. Include something about looking at your partner's side in this post or the second

........Post 2 - More graphics/forms (for thread-making partner)
................Tip: Make sure that this also looks good.

........Post 3 - Pick-Ups/Freebies/Miscellaneous things (for thread-making partner)
................Tip: If you want to have affiliates, here would be a good place to have the form. Use links in your pick-ups to make your shop clutter-free. If you're giving away freebies, make a photobucket. It's organized and your shop is less cluttered.

........Post 4 - 6 repeated for the non-thread making partner. Or, if creating a solo shop, these posts can be whatever you want.

Try not to make your shop cluttered, and make everything easy to find using attractive headers. Bright colors or big text works great.

For other good tips, check out Priceless’s guide on starting a shop, located here.

Out of the Websites and into the Programs
Now that you’ve mastered online image editors and you might have a fairly good start to a shop, it’s time to move onto bigger and better things, like programs. There are a wide variety of programs at many levels, for free. Here’s a list of free programs:

TUX PAINT (for beginners)
JASC ANIMATION SHOP
PHOTOFILTRE
PAINT.NET
GIMP
COLORPIC
SERIF PHOTOPLUS
PHOTOSCAPE
ULTIMATE PAINT
PAINT SHOP PRO
(trial)

For GIMP and Photofiltre, there are many tutorials out there. Check out a few, like GIMP TUTORIALS, or Priceless’s guide on EVERYTHING GRAPHICS MAKING.

Brushes
For brushes for programs like GIMP, check out Deviantart or Google "Gimp Brushes." There are endless varieties. To download brushes, check out the Gimp Tutorials above.

Professionalism to the Max
This is extremely optional. Many of these programs cost a lot of money, ranging from $20 - $700. To get the absolute most professional graphics that you see on billboards and movie posters, you will have to pay around $500-$700 for PHOTOSHOP CS. For the kind of graphics you see popular on this site, you’re going to want to try PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS, which ranges from about $40-$120. To get a good deal on PSE, go to AMAZON and price a WACOM BAMBOO FUN TABLET. The tablet is an amazing tool, very compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. It also works well with Mac and Windows XP. The tablet comes with PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 6, and COREL PAINTER ESSENTIALS 4.

Sources:
Priceless’s Many Guides
Cocoabean’s Directory of Graphics Generators
Icequeen1’s Directory of Graphics

Amazon.com - Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet - Electronics
♥Taylor♥ is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Banned
♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace♥Taylor♥ wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Default Re: A Guide to Making Graphics -- by ♥Taylor♥

Spoiler: show

Reserved(:
Old 12-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
I love you ♥
Webkinz :)

Starla knows the way
Starla knows the wayStarla knows the wayStarla knows the way

Thanks this tutorial/guide is perfect. My dad is going to let me download gimp and maybe paint.net as well. Thanks Taylor!
Starla is offline Female
Old 12-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Banned

You're welcome
Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
ell i'm katiee (:

klcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledge

This is a great guide Taylor! 5 stars && rep

Well.. I can't give you rep because i've given a lot to you already

Last edited by klcao12; 12-26-2010 at 09:14 AM..
klcao12 is offline Female
Old 12-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #6

Priceless has disabled reputation

AAAAA.... Taylor Who knew you were so good at guides? I love this so much, and I am subscribing it! I also want to give 5 stars and rep. Thanks so much for making this, and you will definitely get more people saying 5 stars soon! (Some don't comment but they do)
Priceless is offline Male
Old 12-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Banned

View Post Originally Posted by klcao12
This is a great guide Taylor! 5 stars && rep

Well.. I can't give you rep because i've given a lot to you already
It's because you love me, right?

View Post Originally Posted by Priceless
AAAAA.... Taylor Who knew you were so good at guides? I love this so much, and I am subscribing it! I also want to give 5 stars and rep. Thanks so much for making this, and you will definitely get more people saying 5 stars soon! (Some don't comment but they do)
Thanks a lot Priceless. Your guides are amazing as well.
I think everyone deserves to make great graphics, so I stepped back through time and tried to remember how I started off, and went from there
Old 12-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #8

Priceless has disabled reputation

Yep. I was good at graphics a long time ago before I was on WI (I was a ********r on y o u t u b e) and when I came on here, that automatically became one of my top 5. Except, I was scared to open a shop (would i have time, etc.).

I think another good tip is don't be afraid to open a shop because if you don't have time or people may not like your graphics. Believe in yourself that you are good, and don't just quit because of what others think.
Priceless is offline Male
Old 12-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
ell i'm katiee (:

klcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledgeklcao12 flows towards the sea of knowledge

Of course i do <3
xD (.. in a non-creepy way )
klcao12 is offline Female
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Banned

View Post Originally Posted by klcao12
Of course i do <3
xD (.. in a non-creepy way )
I love you
(..in a very creepy way )
Just kidding...maybe

View Post Originally Posted by Priceless
Yep. I was good at graphics a long time ago before I was on WI (I was a ********r on y o u t u b e) and when I came on here, that automatically became one of my top 5. Except, I was scared to open a shop (would i have time, etc.).

I think another good tip is don't be afraid to open a shop because if you don't have time or people may not like your graphics. Believe in yourself that you are good, and don't just quit because of what others think.
Yeah, I'd add that, but I'm too lazy right now XD
Closed