Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Gifted

Jackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonder

Default Guide to "floater" contests on Webkinz Newz

GUIDE TO "FLOATER" CONTESTS ON WEBKINZ NEWZ

What contests are these?

From time to time, Ganz will run contests which you can participate in by visiting the Webkinz Newz website (direct link). Usually these contests will run for two days over the course of a weekend.

How do I participate?

When you load up any page on the Webkinz Newz website during the contest period, there is a chance that you will activate a "floater". This is an icon image that literally "floats" (wanders aimlessly) around the webpage.

On the new WKN site for users who don't have their screen size set to at least about 1600 pixels in width, the floater starts OFF the screen on the left side sort of near the top, and then floats into view, randomly moving around after that. Here is an example of what the floater for the Zofia Zum contest looked like:

Click the image to open in full size.

Note also that, on the new WKN site, for users with screen resolutions smaller than about 1600 pixels wide, the floater can sometimes float off your screen. Now, it doesn't float off your screen up or down, so even if you scroll up or down the page, the floater will follow you. However, it does sometimes float off the screen to the side. The floater will not go away, though - if it floats off to the side, you may need to wait a while, but it will come back in eventually. And, you can visit other tabs on your browser or even open up other programs on your computer, and when you come back to that specific page, the floater will still be there...unless you go somewhere else from that browser tab or refresh the page in that browser tab.

If you find one of these floating images, CLICK ON IT! When you click on it, a new window with a fill-out form will pop up. These forms always require the following information:

1. You must acknowledge that you have read the contest rules.
2. You must provide an email address.
3. You must answer a skill-testing math question.
4. You must prove that you are not a computer by typing in the letters and numbers you see in the verification image.

Here is an example of what the fill-out form for the Zorbo Zum contest looked like:

Once you've filled out the form, submit it by clicking once on the "submit" button. You may need to be patient - sometimes the form submits and gives you your results page really fast, but sometimes it takes a while to go through.

But I don't know how to answer the skill-testing math question!

The math question is always a test of your ability to do basic order-of-operations math. If you're stumped on how to figure the math out, a really good tutorial about how to do order of operations math is here: direct link. An online game which allows you to test your skills in order of operations math is here: direct link.

If you're still stumped and you have spreadsheet software on your computer, copy the question into a cell on a spreadsheet with the equals sign right before it, and the spreadsheet program should calculate the answer for you.

And if that doesn't work, just come on WI and check out the discussion thread that's sure to be there about the contest you're trying to enter - usually helpful WI members will provide the answers to the questions for people who are having difficulty with the math.

Oh no, I entered the wrong answer to the skill-testing question!

If this happens, you'll need to find the floating Zum on Webkinz Newz all over again and resubmit the form. But note that you will have to use a different e-mail address on your new try, because the contest considers the address you used when you entered the wrong answer to be already 'used' and won't let you use it again for this contest.

Oh no, I entered the wrong characters for the verification image!

No problem, the form will refresh and give you a chance to try again as many times as you need to get the verification code right. (And a good thing, too, because sometimes it throws up an error even when the code seems to have been typed in exactly right.) Also remember that the verification image is case-sensitive, so if, for example, you see a capital "P" in the code, typing in a lower-case "p" is not going to work.

Note that you can continue to use the same email address even if you entered the verification code wrong.

What happens after I successfully submit the form?

The email address that you entered in the fill-out form will receive an email containing a feature code.

Hey, I didn't get emailed a feature code!

There are a few possibilities as to what might have happened:

1) You entered the wrong email address in the fill-out form.
If this is the case, then unfortunately you will never get the feature code as it was sent to the wrong place. However, you could find another floater and fill out the form again, this time using your correct email address, and then you will get the code.

2) You were emailed the code, but your email software interpreted it as spam.
Check your spam folder to make sure the email with the feature code didn't accidentally get dumped in there.

3) Your email servers are a little slow.
It could take a few minutes for the email with the feature code to come in.

4) Your email server bocks anything that comes in from Webkinz.
This isn't very likely.

Okay, I have a feature code - what do I do with it?

Log into Webkinz World and go to the Code Shop. There you will be able to enter the code.

What you get as your prize depends completely on what the contest is for. Some floater contests in the past have only given out one code - for example, all the feature code prizes in the Alyssa Charm contest gave out Magic Mire Alyssa Charms; all the feature code prizes in the Gryffin Emblem Rug contest gave out Gryffin Emblem Rugs; etc.

However - and this has been the case with the most recent floater contests - some contests have multiple prizes available. For example, in the Mystery Magnolia contest, some of the feature code prizes unlocked a Whirlawisk food item, and some unlocked a Mystery Magnolia Tree seedling. As well, for the recent Sweet Zum contests, some of the feature code prizes unlocked a Zumbuddy for your account, and some unlocked a different prize.

If the floater contest you're participating in is a multiple prize contest, then it is totally random as to what prize your feature code will unlock, and you won't know what it unlocks until after you've unlocked it.

Generally for the multiple prize contests, the more special prize available will be more rare. This means that you have only a very small chance of getting a feature code which unlocks the more special prize, and it's much more likely that your feature code will unlock the not-as-special prize.

As well, the prizes may or may not be KinzPostable or tradeable, depending on what the prizes are. To check whether the prizes for a specific floater contest are KinzPostable or tradeable, come on WI and check out the discussion thread that's sure to be there about the contest you're trying to enter - usually helpful WI members will report whether or not they've been able to trade or KinzPost their prizes.

I want more than one feature code.

You can certainly find the floater on the Webkinz Newz site more than once. However, Ganz will not allow you to enter the same email address more than once for the same contest. So if you want another feature code, you will have to enter a different email address in the fill-out form. If you run out of email addresses to use, you can always use free email services like Gmail or 10 Minute Mail to make new ones.

WI member StarryLight gave this explanation for how to use 10 Minute Mail:

Quote:
It gives you a random email for you to use and it will last for 10 minutes. When you find a zum, use your given email. Your email from minute mail cannot be used in hotmail or any other of those email services. Only in 10minutemail.
Oh, no! I entered too many incorrect feature codes in Webkinz World, and am banned from the Code Shop for the rest of the day!

That's too bad, but it can't stop you from collecting more codes at the Webkinz Newz website - it just stops you from being able to put the codes in today. You can always save up the codes and try inputting them another day.

However, try copying-and-pasting the codes directly from your email into the Code Shop. Doing that makes it much less likely that you'll get the code wrong by accident.

I don't see a floating image on the Webkinz Newz page that I went to. What do I do?

Firstly, because the floaters now start OFF the screen on the new WKN site and flit into view after a few seconds, wait a bit after the page has completely loaded up to see whether it will show up.

However, it's important to know that a floater does not always appear whenever you open up a Webkinz Newz page. It only appears sometimes. If a Webkinz Newz page has completely loaded up, you've waited several seconds, and you don't see a floater, then the floater isn't coming at all and you will need to try again. To try again, either go to another Webkinz Newz page or refresh the page you're already on...and then watch again for the floater.

Important note! Make ABSOLUTELY sure that the webpage has COMPLETELY loaded before you try again. The floater is the LAST thing that loads up in a Webkinz Newz page, and you don't want to miss catching a floater just because you refreshed a webpage before the floater had a chance to appear. You can tell that a page has completely loaded by making sure that the little "I'm still loading" animation on your browser has completely stopped.

Wait, what do you mean the floater doesn't always appear onscreen? How are we supposed to cope with that?

This seems to be happening because of the new look of the WKN site that was launched in mid-late October of 2010. The new version of the site uses this as its background:

That picture is a whopping 1656 pixels wide.

Now, the theory (which so far seems to be correct) is that the floaters are programmed to start right at the left edge of the background image, and are also programmed not to go any further left or right than the background image. Not the SCREEN, but the BACKGROUND IMAGE.

This means that if your computer's screen resolution is set to 1656 pixels wide or more, no problem, you'll see the floater right away at the left side of your screen, and it will never go offscreen. But if your settings are for a smaller width than that (as most people's are), it might take a while for the floater to move into view because you can't see the entire width of the background image, and it might float offscreen again at any time.

For example, if your screen resolution is set to 1024 pixels wide, that means there is a "black hole" of 316 pixels on each side of your screen that you can't see, but which the floaters might be located in at any given time. (1656 minus 1024 divided by 2). If your screen resolution is set to 1280 pixels wide, the "black hole" shrinks to 188 pixels on each side.

Therefore, the wider your screen resolution settings are, the faster you'll see the floater, and the less likely it is that you'll miss the floater because it floats back offscreen.

So if you're having a really hard time spotting floaters, try setting your screen resolution to go as wide as possible. Or, if you're on a PC, you can "zoom out" on your browser by pressing the CTRL key while scrolling up with your mouse wheel. (You can restore the zoom back down by pressing the CTRL key while scrolling down with your mouse wheel.) WI members have confirmed that this will work for PC users using IE, Firefox and Safari. It may work for other browsers, too. Zoom out until you can see all of the background image as pictured above.

I've refreshed a Webkinz Newz page a gazillion times and still no floaters!

It often takes a whole big bunch of tries before you find one, so be patient. Some contests show floaters more frequently than other contests. To get a sense of how often floaters show up for the contest you're trying to enter, come onto WI and check out the discussion thread that's sure to be there about the contest you're trying to enter - usually helpful WI members will be talking about how often they're seeing the floaters.

Also, for the most recent floater contest that ran on WKN (the "question mark" floater), the floaters did not appear continuously; rather, they would appear every now and then during specific windows of time. If the floater contest you're participating in also works like this, it is much harder to find floaters. Come and check frequently on the WI thread about the contest that's sure to be here, to see when the "windows" for floater-spotting happen.

If you're still not having any luck, try clearing your browser's cache. And make sure that pop-ups are enabled in your web browser.

Also, many WI members find that it really helps to open multiple tabs on your web browser with Webkinz Newz pages, and then just cycle through them looking for the floaters and refreshing if you don't find them. This allows you to search for as many floaters as possible in as little time as possible.

Another possibility is that you're not seeing any floaters because you're outside the contest area. These contests are usually open only to residents of Canada and the USA, with the exception of residents of Quebec, New York, and Florida. (Please don't blame Ganz for that; those areas have to be excluded because of the laws which regulate contests there.)

Note that it doesn't seem to matter which Webkinz Newz page you're on - it really should be random for every page on the site. However, you may find it easier to spot floaters on the Current Contests page, because there are fewer graphics on that page to distract your eye, and also, it loads up pretty quickly.

Other than that, I just don't know what else to do if you're not seeing the floaters. Maybe just keep trying? Or go away and come back at another time?

Can't you just give me the URL for the fill-out form so I can get a code that way?

No, that doesn't work. You'll get a "Page has expired" error message instead of the form you want. You're just going to have to find the floaters yourself to access the fill-out form.

I'd like to donate the feature codes I'm getting to WI. How do I do that?

Simple! In the fill-out form that pops up whenever you click on a floater, enter use any email address that ends with "@webkinzinsider.com".

I personally like to use "Jackal1@webkinzinsider.com", "Jackal2@webkinzinsider.com", and so-on. That way it helps me keep track of what email addresses I've already used (since the contest doesn't allow the same email address more than once), and the WI folks can tell it came from me.

Last edited by Jackal; 10-27-2010 at 07:31 AM..
Jackal is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
ho?... Me?
Gifted

ArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with graceArkMama wears the mantle of perfection with grace

Default re: Guide to "floater" contests on Webkinz Newz

View Post Originally Posted by Jackal

But I don't know how to answer the skill-testing math question!

If you're still stumped and you have spreadsheet software on your computer, copy the question into a cell on a spreadsheet with the equals sign right before it, and the spreadsheet program should calculate the answer for you.

And if that doesn't work, just come on WI and check out the discussion thread that's sure to be there about the contest you're trying to enter - usually helpful WI members will provide the answers to the questions for people who are having difficulty with the math.
This part is against the contest rules that you agree to follow. I would not advise publicly recommending it. The rules state that no mechanical aids are allowed. And posting the answer for all to see is the equivalent to cheating.

Otherwise, this is a very thorough How-To, and very easy to follow....
ArkMama is offline Female
Old 10-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
ho is Tinker?
Gifted

florida is not just visiting!florida is not just visiting!florida is not just visiting!florida is not just visiting!florida is not just visiting!florida is not just visiting!florida is not just visiting!florida is not just visiting!florida is not just visiting!florida is not just visiting!florida is not just visiting!

good guide! you should mention that you have to disable pop-up blocker on your browser.
florida is offline Female
Old 10-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Gifted

Jackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonderJackal wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by florida
good guide! you should mention that you have to disable pop-up blocker on your browser.
I did.
Jackal is offline Female
Old 10-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Webkinz :)
luv2writeNS has disabled reputation

Default Re: Guide to "floater" contests on Webkinz Newz

Good guide! Like the pix....What's your personal fave way to look for floaters?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
is sick of being a

jetta99 is a jewel in the roughjetta99 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you! this is some great info.
jetta99 is offline Female
Old 10-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
band guys are so
Gifted

Emma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talentEmma8432 has lots of talent

You have made a beneficent guide. This will help me with no doubt when the next 'floater' contest blows into Webkinz World. Thank you very much, Jackal.
Emma8432 is offline Female
Old 10-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Gramwebbie

kinzgramatheart is a name known to allkinzgramatheart is a name known to allkinzgramatheart is a name known to all

I just had to share this with you.
I hadn't found a zum which was strange after 10 minutes, so I can to WI to read the comments.
When I finished reading I went back to my screen, still open, in WKN, and guess what?
There was Zofia floating and waiting for me.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Gifted

View Post Originally Posted by kinzgramatheart
I just had to share this with you.
I hadn't found a zum which was strange after 10 minutes, so I can to WI to read the comments.
When I finished reading I went back to my screen, still open, in WKN, and guess what?
There was Zofia floating and waiting for me.
Yes, I had noticed that too, and updated the guide with the info: on the new WKN site, the floater sometimes floats completely OFF the page now. It won't float off up or down, but it certainly floats off to the left side of the screen and maybe to the right, too. We don't know why this is happening (although I have a theory that it's due to not having a screen wide enough to be able to see the entire background image), but it must have something to do with how the new look for the WKN site is encoded since we've never had this happen with a floater contest before.
Jackal is offline Female
Old 10-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #10

MAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicness
MAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicnessMAKroll is epic beyond epicness

Oh i just keep refreshing homepage and i found zofia!

Last edited by MAKroll; 10-21-2010 at 01:35 PM..
MAKroll is offline Male
Closed