Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Webbiemommy
Gift Guru

buffy0214 has a reputation beyond reputebuffy0214 has a reputation beyond reputebuffy0214 has a reputation beyond reputebuffy0214 has a reputation beyond reputebuffy0214 has a reputation beyond reputebuffy0214 has a reputation beyond repute

Default The Art of Naming your Webkinz

So, you've just come back from the store and you have a new webkinz. Hooray!!! It was tough to choose but now it's yours and you're itching to get started. The first thing you need is a name. Sometimes you have no idea where to start. I've thought about some guidelines that I usually use when naming our webkinz. This is not a naming generator but, rather, a way to help you name your own pet.
1. People names. A popular way to name your pet is with a name that you would, generally, associate with a person. You instantly have a friend! I have found that baby name websites offer a great way to get ideas. Just do a search for baby names. You can also search baby name generator and you will find some sites that give you random names. Some even have a short survey to come up with a name. If you like really unusual names this is usually a good way to go.
My favorite website is http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/. I checked out the top baby names for 2007 and found these for boys the names are: Jacob, Michael, Ethan, Joshua, Daniel, Christopher, Anthony, William, Matthew, and Andrew. Girls top 10 include: Emily, Isabella, Emma, Ava, Madison, Sofia, Olivia, Abigail, Hannah, and Elizabeth. Remember that, sometimes, a nickname works, too!
2. Pet Names. I'm sure you've heard the namesRex, Buster, Duke, Fifi, Trixie and Princess. These are tried and true names. Champion and Charger have always been popular for horses. These names may not be the most original but don't let that stop you from using them. They are still great names and are popular for a reason! If you are looking for something along those lines, you can search for pet names or popular pet names. My favorite is http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/namelists/a/namesbyspecies.htm. It has pet names listed for pigs, mice, big cats, snakes and many other exotic pets.

3. Origin. Is your pet French? English? German? Persian? African? Asian? Arctic? Native American tribe names work well for the Pinto, such as, Lakota. For traditional names from those places I also check out the baby name websites. They usually have categories listed by origin in addition to popularity.
Also, you can think about things that you might usually associate with that area. My Pandas are named Jasmine and Jade because I instantly think of China when I hear those words. How about Silk, Lotus, or Fortune? Okay, I was eating Chinese food when I thought of the name Fortune. After fortune cookie. You get the idea.
Don't forget history or literature about the area. A favorite childhood book of mine is about a duck in China named Ping. Wouldn't that make a cute name for an animal from Asia?
Additionally, I sometimes use an online translator. Say you have a lion. I searched for English to Swahili translator in yahoo (I'm old skool) and looked up the Swahili word for cat. Paka. Voila! An African lion name. Try to look up your pet's personality traits or characteristics and see what you find. Zoo websites sometimes have great names, too.

4. Personality. Sometimes my pet names come from what I imagine their personality to be. It would be helpful to have your pet's bio already but since you don't, you will have to imagine what it may be. Are they funny, artistic, brave? Can it swim? Does it love to run? The baby name website again comes in handy as you can search for a names meaning. Be sure to use the filter for “Show names commonly used in English” to narrow down your search. Mythology is also a good source as many of the Gods are known for certain traits, like Athena, known for her wisdom. Oh, and patriotic terms are nice for Clydesdales and most dogs. Liberty, Justice, Glory, General, and, obviously, Patriot. he he

5. Characteristics.Tons of names here!Think of your pet's obvious characteristics. What color is it? What size is it? Is it known to be fast or slow? Noble? Anything that is specific to your pet like horns or flippers? A great tool to find names is the thesaurus. Yes, you heard me right! I looked up beautiful in the thesaurus and found Belle and Bonny. Cute! I looked up pink and found Blossom and Blush. Look up small and get Teeny and Tiny. Check out your pet's distinguishing traits. My son named his Rhino Spike. I love it! Maybe even mix it up and call your new little mouse Gigantor or name your Elephant Teeny. It's just crazy enough to work. If you are looking mainly at the coloring, then names of gems or jewels work well, as do names of flowers. Food might just work, too. Brownie or Peanut anyone? You can sometimes associate size, color, or even more from food. I really want to name my Lemon Lime Gecko, Sprite. When I get one, anyway. Hint hint, Hubby.

6. History and Literature. You can get names from famous authors, characters, or people in history. Think about famous Generals and Presidents, artists and musicians. Lee. Adams. Leonardo. Beethoven. I tend to get most of my names from this category. I named my schnauzer after the English poet, Byron. Don't forget Bible names, either. My elephants are Goliath and Sampson, known for their strength. Mythology is another great source of names, especially for Unicorns and such. You don't have to use classic books, either. The Harry Potter series provides tons of names. Try comic book characters, too!

7. Cities, states, and places. Georgia. Savanah. Dallas. Austin. Paris.Sydney. Savannah. Sierra. Just look on a map...

8. Movies, TV, Music and Sports. I guess I could have named this category Entertainment as well!! I must admit that I have always loved my television. Many of the names I love come from favorite Disney characters. Just think of the possibilities that 101 Dalmatians provides for a cute Dalmatian. This is an easy category. Use celebrity names or the characters they play. My daughter's labs are Zack and Cody. Members of bands easily work. I don't know why, but they tend to work well for dogs. Try last names as well as first. This works especially well with sports figures. I don't know too many sports names but I think most people have heard of Michael Jordan. Either Michael or Jordan work as a webkinz name.

9. Hippy Names. I found a really cute website of Hippy names when searching for some good ones for a Tie Dye frog. Ziggy, River, Bliss, Rainbow, Sunshine, Peace, Willow, Meadow, Autumn, and Summer all come from that website. Also, think of famous people from the 70s like Cassidy or Elton and you are sure to come up with a few. These names tend to work well for Horses, Frogs, and Dogs in my opinion. Maybe one will work for your pet, too.

10. Seasonal Pets. These are fun. Just think of things associated with the holiday. Merry or Joy. Nicholas or Jingle. Don't they make you think of Christmas? Romeo or Juliet. Precious or Cupid. Valentines Day, right? Hex or Midnight. Raven or Dumbledore. Halloween, huh? Picture the holiday in your mind and think about the 5 senses. What do you see, taste, touch, feel, hear? What emotions do you have? Also think about the holiday and use categories 4,5,6, and 8 above. This should yield some great names. I came up with 48 Christmas names this way.
and just for fun...

Silly Names. Mr. Barky Von Shnauzer may appeal to you. (too large for webkinz world?) Or Snuggly Puggly. Wiggles. Schmoopy. I don't know. Silly names are just that. Silly. Go crazy and come up with silly names.

Well, I think that just about does it! There may be more ways but these are the ones that I use when I am stumped for a name. Try any one of them or combine two or three and you are sure to come up with a name you love. Thanks for reading and good luck naming your pet!

---------- buffy0214 added 1134 Minutes and 32 Seconds later ----------

Did nobody find this useful?

Last edited by buffy0214; 06-30-2008 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
buffy0214 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
gangnam style
Webkinz :)

tarsky781 challenges the impossibletarsky781 challenges the impossible

Default Re: Guide to naming your Webkinz

I found it useful, thanks!
tarsky781 is offline Female
Old 06-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #3

HH18e is on a distinguished road

Awesome! rep points!
HH18e is offline Female
Old 06-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Webbiemommy
Gift Guru

buffy0214 has a reputation beyond reputebuffy0214 has a reputation beyond reputebuffy0214 has a reputation beyond reputebuffy0214 has a reputation beyond reputebuffy0214 has a reputation beyond reputebuffy0214 has a reputation beyond repute

View Post Originally Posted by tarsky781
I found it useful, thanks!
View Post Originally Posted by HH18e
Awesome! rep points!
Thanks for the replies! I'm glad it could be of use to someone. It really did take a long time to do. Maybe I just think too much about names when I get a pet but, for me, that is part of the fun.
buffy0214 is offline Female
Old 06-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
gangnam style

Default Re: The Art of Naming your Webkinz

Same here! I think it's fun also!
tarsky781 is offline Female
Old 07-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Gifted

iluvwebkinz414 knows the way
iluvwebkinz414 knows the wayiluvwebkinz414 knows the wayiluvwebkinz414 knows the way

Smile Re: The Art of Naming your Webkinz

Rep Point!!!!
iluvwebkinz414 is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Kevin rocks my

kit-katkitty8 is on a distinguished road

I never tried those ways before! It's awesome! Rep. point
Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
I luv my
coolhancat is on a distinguished road

WOW!

---------- coolhancat added 0 Minutes and 23 Seconds later ----------

Great ideas!

Last edited by coolhancat; 07-07-2008 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
coolhancat is offline Female
Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
pink9550
Gifted

pink9550 is just really nicepink9550 is just really nice

Oh this is very useful!!!! Hey I got a Panda back in August '06, and named her Jade as well
pink9550 is offline Female
Old 07-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
webkinz_forever

Great! I will check on this when I name my next webkinz!
Closed