Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Webkinz :)

agonn knows the way
agonn knows the wayagonn knows the wayagonn knows the wayagonn knows the wayagonn knows the way

Thumbs up all things NAIL POLISH}

Click the image to open in full size.
thanks to my best friend Sour for this banner!

welcome!
come on in!
this is a guide for nail designs with nail polish.
all these designs are fairly easy, just have time and patience.
all of the tools you will need are:
-nail polish (duh)
-a clear base coat and top coat of nail polish
-nail file
-tape (scotch or masking tape)
-nail polish remover & cotton balls or toilet paper
-room temperature water
-nail art pen (for certain designs)
-rubbing alcohol
-scissors
-cup
-toothpick
-time and patience
if you have all of the above ready to use, please continue!

basic color chart-
here is a basic color chart that has some options for colors if you don't know exactly what kinds of colors you prefer.
Click the image to open in full size.

cloud design-
level: medium
takes 30-60 minutes

all you will need for this design is 2-3 different colored nail polishes, and a base/top coat (possibly some nail polish remover if you mess up.)

STEP ONE: First, apply a clear base coat and let it dry. Then, paint your fingernail with whatever color you'd like, and let that dry for 5-10 minutes.
STEP TWO: Pick your second color, and put the end of the brush on your nail until a little drop makes a rounded starting point, then just drag the brush to the end of your nail. Repeat twice, but make each swipe a bit lower each time. After this, you should have 3 strokes that look similar to a cloud. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes.
STEP THREE: Repeat step two again, but make the cloud design a bit lower than the first. Let that one dry for 10-15 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Seal with a clear top coat of nail polish, and you're done!
If you followed these steps correctly, it should look something like THIS.
It keeps getting easier and easier as you go, don't give up. :]

do it yourself-french manicure-
takes 70-90 minutes

all you need for this design is a skin tone nail polish (tan, light brown, peach), white nail polish, tape (or yard sale stickers!) and a clear base coat and top coat.

STEP ONE: Apply the base coat and let it dry for 5-10 minutes.
STEP TWO: Apply the skin tone nail polish and let it dry for 5-10 minutes (you may need to add another layer of skin tone nail polish if it is hardly seen).
STEP THREE: This may sound funny, but apply the top coat on the nail polish, and wait for 30-60 minutes (just to make sure it is COMPLETELY dry).
STEP FOUR: Take a 2-inch strip of tape and stick it across your nail horizontally, but leave a little space where the white of your nail is.
STEP FIVE: Apply your white nail polish on the part that isn't covered by the tape.
STEP SIX: Carefully take off the tape, but take it off quick, because you don't want the nail polish drying the tape to the nail. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes.
STEP SEVEN: Add a final top coat and let it dry.

airbrush design-
(that doesn't include an airbrush)
takes 20 minutes

what you need for this design is a dark color (ex. black) and a light color (ex. pink), nail polish remover, and a paper towel for excess nail polish.

STEP ONE: Start out by making a rough "U" shape with the DARKER color by the cuticle. Make it thick!
STEP TWO: About 1-2 minutes after that, fill in the other part with the lighter color.
STEP THREE: Swirl the two colors where they meet upward a bit.
STEP FOUR: Let dry for 10-15 minutes then seal with a topcoat.

spotted design-
level: easy
takes 15-30 minutes

all you need for this design is two nail polishes (ex. purple and white), and a base/topcoat.

STEP ONE: Apply the first nail polish you want to use. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes and then add another coat and repeat.
STEP TWO: Get out your next color of polish (for better results, get a thin brush), and make small dots in varying sizes, just space them out so they don't collide. (if you have smaller nails, 4 or 5 dots would probably be fine.)
STEP THREE: After 10-15 minutes, seal with a top coat.

striped design-
takes 70-90 minutes

what you will need for this design is tape, scissors, two types of nail polish, base/top coat, and nail polish remover, in case you accidentally mess up.

STEP ONE: Apply your first color (preferably the lighter color) and let it dry for 5-10 minutes. Add a few more layers if it's thin. Wait 30-50 minutes to make sure it's completely dry.
STEP TWO: Cut a piece of tape into two or three pieces lengthwise. Place it on the nail horizontally or vertically, whichever you choose. Make the spaces even between the tape on your nail.
STEP THREE: Apply the top color (preferably the darker color) over the tape and your nail. Take the tape off quickly, because you don't want the tape to stick and dry to the nail polish.
STEP FOUR: Let it dry for 5-10 minutes, then add your top coat.

water marbling design-
level: difficult
takes 50-60 minutes

what you will need for this design is 2-4 different colors of nail polish, a toothpick, nail polish remover, possibly some vaseline, and a cup filled with room temperature water.

STEP ONE: Paint your nails with one of the colors and let it dry completely.
STEP TWO: Put the vaseline over your skin around your nail, your knuckle, and the underside so the nail polish doesn't stick to it.
STEP THREE: Pick another color of polish, and drop one drop about an inch away from the room temp. water into it. Continue adding drops and alternating colors so you will eventually have a "bullseye" pattern.
STEP FOUR: Use your toothpick to drag through the NAIL POLISH (not the water, so I'd suggest using the very tip of the toothpick) to create designs! Start from the MIDDLE, not the outside of the design.
STEP FIVE: Dip your nail at a 45 degree angle into the water. If you wait too long, the nail polish will dry.
STEP SIX: When you've pulled your finger up, use the toothpick (or stick) to pull away the excess nail polish around your finger. Shake the extra water off your finger.
STEP SEVEN: Let your design dry and seal with a top coat.
*this design is probably one of the most difficult designs i will put up, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't turn out right for you.
If you followed these steps correctly, your design should look something like THIS.

M&M design-
takes 30-40 minutes

what you will need for this design is red, orange, yellow, blue, green/brown nail polish, white nail art pen (or a very thin white nail polish brush), top/base coat.

STEP ONE: Paint your thumbnail one of the colors above, and let it dry. If necessary, add a few more layers and let it dry.
STEP TWO: Repeat step one with all the other colors. Let all of them dry for 10-15 minutes.
STEP THREE: Take your nail art pen and draw an "m" on each nail. Don't hurry, take your time.
STEP FOUR: Let the nails dry for another 10-15 minutes. Then seal with a top coat.
If you followed these steps correctly, your design should look something like THIS.
*if you have small nails like me, i'd suggest just doing an "m" on the thumb.

diagonal crackle design-
takes 60-90 minutes

what you will need for this design is your favorite color of nail polish, crackle (shatter) nail polish, tape, nail polish remover, cotton balls, and a top/base coat.

STEP ONE: Start out by painting your nails with your favorite color of nail polish. If necessary, add a few more layers after. Let it dry for 30-60 minutes JUST to make sure it's completely dry.
STEP TWO: Take a 2-inch piece of tape and put it diagonally across your nail.
STEP THREE: Paint your nail once again with your crackle nail polish, then quickly (but carefully) take off your tape. Let it dry for 10-15 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Seal with a top coat.
If you followed these steps correctly, your design should look something like THIS (without the silver stripe).

newspaper print design-
takes:50-60 minutes

what you will need for this design is white nail polish, newspaper, rubbing alcohol, and a top/base coat.

STEP ONE: Put white nail polish on all of your fingernails and let it dry completely.
STEP TWO: Put one of your nails all the way in (to your cuticle) a small cup of rubbing alcohol for 30 seconds.
STEP THREE: Firmly press newspaper to your nail that was just dipped in the alcohol, and keep pressing (try not to move the newspaper!) for 30 more seconds.
STEP FOUR: Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the rest of your nails until you are finished.
STEP FIVE: Seal with a few top coats to make sure the newspaper print stays on longer.

splatter design-
takes: 30-50 minutes

what you will need for this design is a straw, a scrap piece of paper, base color, 4-5 different colors (for the splatters), paper plate (or anything you want to hold the nail polish colors), tape, and nail polish remover.

STEP ONE: Paint your nails with a base color of your choice (I would suggest white, light pink, etc.) and let it dry completely for 10-15 minutes before continuing.
STEP TWO: Put some of your tape around your fingernail(s) to protect the skin around it so you don't have a big mess to clean up afterwards.
STEP THREE: Take one of your nail polish splatter colors and put a drop or two on your paper plate, and repeat with the other colors (make sure they don't touch).
STEP FOUR: Take your straw and dip it in one color of nail polish.
STEP FIVE: Take the straw and blow through the straw, right on your nail (make sure the straw is NOT touching the nail!) You may want to practice blowing on a scratch piece of paper to get a feel for what you need to do. Repeat for the rest of your nails and LET IT DRY for 10-15 minutes.
STEP SIX: Take the tape off, and use a cotton swab or tissue to remove any excess nail polish that got on to your skin.
STEP SEVEN: Add a top coat and enjoy your colorful manicure. ;]

v-gap design-
takes: 30-50 minutes

what you will need for this design is tape, base/top coat of nail polish, 1-2 colored nail polishes, and scissors.

STEP ONE: Paint your nails with one of your colored nail polishes (or a clear base coat) and let it dry for at least 15-20 minutes.
STEP TWO: Once it's completely dry, cut two 3 inch strips of tape and make a triangle design by the cuticle of your nail. Take the second color and paint inside the tape and let it dry.
STEP THREE: Let it dry and seal with a top coat.

glitter gone wild design-
takes: 15-30 minutes

what you will need for this manicure is a clear base/top coat, one colored nail polish, and 2-3 different types of glitter nail polish.

STEP ONE: Add your base coat and let it dry.
STEP TWO: Paint on your colored nail polish and let it dry for 5-10 minutes. (you can add a few more layers if you feel that the color is too sheer)
STEP THREE: Paint on one of your glittery nail polishes, and let it dry for 5 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Repeat step three with the rest of your glitter nail polishes.
STEP FIVE: Seal with a clear top coat.

more designs to come! if YOU have any designs you'd like to share, please post them!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you may now pos
t!

Last edited by agonn; 04-14-2012 at 11:45 AM..
agonn is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #2

agonn knows the way
agonn knows the wayagonn knows the wayagonn knows the wayagonn knows the wayagonn knows the way

Default Re: ˢᶤᵐᵖˡᵉ ᵃᶰᵈ ᵉᵃˢʸ ᵈᵉˢᶤᵍᶰˢ ᶠᵒʳ {NAIL POLISH}

tips and tricks

DRY-FAST WATER TECHNIQUE:
After you've applied nail polish (let's say you're in a hurry), let it dry for 3-5 minutes, then turn the faucet on the coldest water possible. Next, bend your painted hand down so there's an arch at the beginning of your wrist. Make the water stream hit that area, so it will run off the tips of your painted nails (do NOT ever put the water directly on a nail!).
Do this for 5-10 seconds and dry your hand. Now your nails are more dry!

REMOVE EXCESS NAIL POLISH:
Make sure you have a paper towel, napkin, cotton ball, or tissue if you accidentally get some polish on your skin or cuticles. If necessary, dip a tiny part in nail polish remover and rub onto it gently if it won't come off.

CHIPPED NAIL:
If a nail chips, you might as well just file all of your other nails, because that doesn't look too attractive.

THIN, NOT THICK:
Be sure to apply your nail polish in THIN layers, not THICK ones. Yes, this may take more time, but it will look better and last longer.

SMUDGES AND STAINS:
If you've smudged your nail polish while painting, dip your finger in nail polish remover and use it to smooth the surface, and then repaint it with a topcoat.

BASE COAT:
Always add a couple base coats before painting your nails for a smoother surface to work on.

TOP COAT:
To make your manicure look fresh and last longer, add a clear topcoat everyday.

GOOEY AND THICK:
If your nail polish is getting clumps of gooey and thick globs of nail polish in it, try adding a couple drops of nail polish remover into the bottle and shaking it up.

SHAKING IT UP:
The proper way to shake a bottle of nail polish up so the color shades are the same and the substance is even, is to make sure the cap is tightly on, then hold the bottle upside down between your hands and move your hands back and forth with the polish tightly in the palms of your hands.

if YOU have any tips or tricks you'd like to share, please post them!

Last edited by agonn; 03-04-2012 at 03:14 PM..
agonn is offline Female
Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

agonn knows the way

Default Re: ˢᶤᵐᵖˡᵉ ᵃᶰᵈ ᵉᵃˢʸ ᵈᵉˢᶤᵍᶰˢ ᶠᵒʳ {NAIL POLISH}

Questions&Answers
Got any things you aren't sure about? Post it here! I'll answer it as best as I can.

Q: What is the best brand of nail polish that lasts?
A: Personally, I use Sally Hansen, but it usually lasts 1 week or so before it chips off. But I think the most promising brand of nail polish would be OPI or Essie. They last for quite a long time, don't chip or peel, and the color selection very vibrant and colorful. Good luck!

Q: How long does nail polish last on your fingers?
A: For me, usually a week. To make it last longer, add a new clear top coat once everyday, so your manicure looks fresh and new.

Q: How do I get extra nail polish off my fingers?
A: Get a cotton ball, tissue, or paper towel and dip it in some nail polish remover. Gently rub and it should be gone!

Last edited by agonn; 02-20-2012 at 11:21 AM..
agonn is offline Female
Old 02-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #4

agonn knows the way

Default Re: simple & easy designs for {NAIL POLISH} you may now post, still under construction.

YOUR designs!
i'd love to see your designs you've created with these tutorials to help!
please post them here, and they will be displayed in this gallery!

Last edited by agonn; 02-20-2012 at 04:19 PM..
agonn is offline Female
Old 02-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Banned
FrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guideFrenchFry130 is a golden guide

Default Re: all things NAIL POLISH} you may now post!

Oooooooh I love this thread! ♥
FrenchFry130 is offline Female
Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #6

agonn knows the way

View Post Originally Posted by FrenchFry130
Oooooooh I love this thread! ♥
Thanks, Frenchfry!
agonn is offline Female
Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
#merome

bunny90210 is an unparalleled talent
bunny90210 is an unparalleled talentbunny90210 is an unparalleled talentbunny90210 is an unparalleled talentbunny90210 is an unparalleled talentbunny90210 is an unparalleled talentbunny90210 is an unparalleled talentbunny90210 is an unparalleled talentbunny90210 is an unparalleled talentbunny90210 is an unparalleled talentbunny90210 is an unparalleled talent

can you do a tutoriol on water marble nails?
ive tried to do them but i failed
bunny90210 is offline Female
Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Goes By ★Brittany★
Gifted

filthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a hero
filthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a herofilthyfury was born a hero

Cool thread!! I really like the first design! (the cloud one) I'll have to try it! Super cute.

I have a tip too for when your nail polish starts to get old and get all gooey and thick...

adding a drop or two of nail polish remover directly to the bottle of nail polish then closing it & shaking it up fixes that really well!
filthyfury is offline Female
Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #9

agonn knows the way

View Post Originally Posted by bunny90210
can you do a tutoriol on water marble nails?
ive tried to do them but i failed
Sure thing! It will be up soon.
EDIT: Alrighty, it's up! Thanks.
View Post Originally Posted by filthyfury
Cool thread!! I really like the first design! (the cloud one) I'll have to try it! Super cute.

I have a tip too for when your nail polish starts to get old and get all gooey and thick...

adding a drop or two of nail polish remover directly to the bottle of nail polish then closing it & shaking it up fixes that really well!
Thanks! I'll add it now.
EDIT: Added it!

Last edited by agonn; 02-20-2012 at 11:20 AM..
agonn is offline Female
Old 02-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
it's been a while

-belieber will become famous soon enough

This is perfect. I need to do my nails today anyway. ^_^
-belieber is offline Female
Closed

Tags
avid wntmer, bradying, diz is my tag!!, inky's tag not yours, onlychild1999 was here!, visit nailside blog!!, ♥do you love me?♥, ♥wenjun waz here♥