Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
I love you ♥
Webkinz :)

Starla knows the way
Starla knows the wayStarla knows the wayStarla knows the way

Default (¨How to prepare for a Hurricane¨)

The weather is hotter which means the water is too, Hurricanes only occur mainly in the summer. So here is just a simple guide on what to do and how to prepare.

- Select a safe place for the family to weather the storm. This may be a location in your home -- consider a windowless room on the bottom floor. If your home doesn't have a safe area, you should know the locations of at least two emergency shelters near your home. If you have special medical needs and don't think you'll be able to get to the shelter on your own, contact the county in advance to make prior arrangements.

- Stock up on food and water. You should have enough non-perishable food and water in your home to last the family for at least a few weeks. If your stock of supplies is old, be sure to refresh it. You might want to purchase new canned goods every few years and rotate the rest through your pantry. Water should be replaced annually.

- Prepare other disaster supplies. You'll need to stock up on batteries, flashlights, rope, tarps, plastic bags, bad-weather clothing and other essentials to help you through the aftermath of a bad storm.

- Get your home ready. If you have hurricane shutters, make sure that you have all of the parts and have some extra screws/washers handy. If you don't, have a supply of plywood precut to fit your windows. Gather anything loose from your yard and store it in the garage. Watch the news when a storm is approaching and protect your home when advised by local authorities. If you wait until the rain starts, it may be too late.

- Develop a family communications plan. You might become separated before or after the storm. It's a good idea to have an out-of-state contact (a relative up north?) to act as the point of contact for all family members in the event of an emergency. Make sure everyone in the family knows who that person is and carries their phone number in their wallet or purse.

- Check your insurance coverage. Companies stop writing coverage when a storm is approaching. Ensure that your homeowner's insurance has enough windstorm coverage to rebuild your home in today's market. Also, remember that standard insurance doesn't cover flooding. You'll need special flood insurance from the federal government.

- Plan for the family pets. Shelters will not accept pets. If you want to ensure your pets livelihood, you may wish to consider evacuating early to a friend's home that's in a safe area.

- Keep your vehicles gassed up to at least half a tank at all times throughout hurricane season. When a storm approaches, lines WILL get long (up to five hours!) and gas stations will run out of gas before the storm hits. You need to have enough gas to safely evacuate if the situation warrants.

- Clean up your yard. You don't need anything blowing around/away. Plus some items may come through windows.

- Unplug electronics. You may see some lightning, you do not want a power surge.

Stay indoors unless necessary.

What You Need

Non-perishable food
Drinking water
Batteries
Medication for all family members
First aid kit
Flashlights
Battery-operated radio
Cash
Clothing

Last edited by Starla; 08-27-2011 at 04:44 PM..
Starla is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

monkeysgirl can ride a flying orange
monkeysgirl can ride a flying orangemonkeysgirl can ride a flying orangemonkeysgirl can ride a flying orangemonkeysgirl can ride a flying orangemonkeysgirl can ride a flying orangemonkeysgirl can ride a flying orangemonkeysgirl can ride a flying orangemonkeysgirl can ride a flying orangemonkeysgirl can ride a flying orangemonkeysgirl can ride a flying orangemonkeysgirl can ride a flying orange

Default Re: (¨How to prepare for a Hurricane¨)

Thanks for the guide!. Also you should take in any bikes or patio furniture inside.
REP!
monkeysgirl is offline Female
Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #3

HampsterGiggles is sweet stuff
HampsterGiggles is sweet stuffHampsterGiggles is sweet stuffHampsterGiggles is sweet stuffHampsterGiggles is sweet stuffHampsterGiggles is sweet stuffHampsterGiggles is sweet stuff

Thanks for taking the time and thought to type this starla.
There is a hurricane on the east coast. This will be very helpful.
HampsterGiggles is offline Female
Old 08-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
luv2writeNS has disabled reputation

With hurricane Irene coming our way, this is extremely helpful. Thank you so much for making this guide! Everyone stay safe!

Another thing I'd like to add, is unplug any computers, TVs, or anything like that to avoid electric surge.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
I love you ♥

Starla knows the way

View Post Originally Posted by monkeysgirl
Thanks for the guide!. Also you should take in any bikes or patio furniture inside.
REP!
Your welcome, I have added that.
Thanks. :3

View Post Originally Posted by HampsterGiggles
Thanks for taking the time and thought to type this starla.
There is a hurricane on the east coast. This will be very helpful.
No problem.
Yes, hurricane Irene is still pretty strong right now.

View Post Originally Posted by luv2writeNS
With hurricane Irene coming our way, this is extremely helpful. Thank you so much for making this guide! Everyone stay safe!

Another thing I'd like to add, is unplug any computers, TVs, or anything like that to avoid electric surge.
It's going to hit here as well. Your very welcome!
I have added that, thanks .
Starla is offline Female
Old 08-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Gifted

Cheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fish
Cheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fishCheesy1 won a staring contest with a fish

Very helpful guide, Starla Thanks for taking the time to post it
Rep
Cheesy1 is offline Female
Old 08-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #7

Priceless has disabled reputation

Great guide! Rep for you. I have to spread it around.
Priceless is offline Male
Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
This is Halloween!

Musicgurl has a spectacular aura aboutMusicgurl has a spectacular aura about

This is a really great guide! Even though I don't need it (I live in Michigan - too far north and too far inland), all the Insider's in the South and along the east coast might need it. REP for you!
Musicgurl is offline Female
Old 08-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
ShootingStars•°˜”° ҉
Gifted

mickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a boss
mickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a bossmickey26 is a boss

Aww, you made a guide! Thank you!
I have definitely been informed!

Keep safe, sweet friend!
mickey26 is offline Female
Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
I love you ♥

Starla knows the way

View Post Originally Posted by Cheesy1
Very helpful guide, Starla Thanks for taking the time to post it
Rep
I'm glad it helped. Your welcome
Awwh thanks xD

View Post Originally Posted by Priceless
Great guide! Rep for you. I have to spread it around.
Thanks! Awwh thanks anyway Price

View Post Originally Posted by Musicgurl
This is a really great guide! Even though I don't need it (I live in Michigan - too far north and too far inland), all the Insider's in the South and along the east coast might need it. REP for you!
Thanks! Well i'm happy for youu
Thank you! ♥

View Post Originally Posted by mickey26
Aww, you made a guide! Thank you!
I have definitely been informed!

Keep safe, sweet friend!
Your very welcome!

That's good.

Thank you Mickey, so far so good.
Starla is offline Female
Closed

Tags