Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
as here
Webkinz :)

Gillich is on a distinguished road

Default ~How to Make a "How-to"! ~

Ah, the how-to in its natural enviroment. The forum of course! How-to's are a great way to share an interest, meet new people, and learn something new! In this guide, I will be showing you how to make your own thread look really nice and professional.

Update 6/4: Some of my pictures were not working at the moment since i copy and pasted them. They will be back soon. (Once I feel like actually uploading them on TinyPic ) Also, thanks for all the wonderful feedback!

Index
1~ Organization
2~ Pictures
3~ Info/Text Part ONE
4~ To Bold or Not to Bold
5~ The Use of Smileys
6~ What Now?
7~ Popularity
8~ Text/Info Part TWO
9~ What Really is a Good Idea?

So you have an idea. You want to let people know how to do it or how to use it, but you don't want the thread to look like a pile of blaa.

1 ~ Organization

First things first. Oraganization. An index really helps people to understand where things are andwhen they expect to read them.

Here is a really good example by of the usage of an index.

2 ~ Pictures

Next step. Pictures. We all know pictures are worth a thousand words, right? Well here it worth more like a million words. Pictures will help people see what you are talking about and sometimes why.

Here is a link to a great thread on how to use pictures and how to get them on your post by WebkinzLover525...http://www.webkinzinsider.com/forum/...put-site-8630/

Now you have your picture. But is it a good picture? Do people understand what you are talking about?

Here is an example of a picture that needs help:

Click the image to open in full size.

Pretty big eh? You want to use pictures that are small enough to fit yet big enough to see. Also don't forget to mark what you want people to see.

Here is a better image. Same thing, but it works better.

Click the image to open in full size.

3 ~ Text/Info Part ONE

So now you have an idea, you have your pictures and things for it, but what now? TYPING!!!!!!!! In this section we will be going over what you can add to your thread to make it easy to read, exciting, and yet it looks nice.

You want to type in paragraphs, as always. You have one of two options on how you want to make people know you are starting a new paragraph.
Option One: Hitting enter twice and starting there. This is most commonly used here, on the internet, but doesn't look good on papers for school or business.

Picture of enter button:

Look weird eh?

Option Two: Hitting the tab button after hitting the enter button once. This works on school and business work, but overcrowds the space on the average web page. Note: There are exception to this!

Picture of tab button:

4 ~ To Bold or Not to Bold

You all know what bold means. So when do you use it? Sometimes you may think everything has to be bolded for people to get it. Wrong! Bold type should be used sparingly, in these following examples:

1: Important titles, like mine.
2: Words that state an opionion*
3: Words that should make a statement by themselves*
4: Other words (Such as "Option One: ... )

Here is the link to a question on WikiAnswers that I did, that shows correct usage of bold type: Note: This does deal with webkinz... WikiAnswers - Is the Webkinz rumor true that a person who worked for Webkinz got angry for some reason and quit and then started messing up the webkinz site

5 ~ The Use of Smileys

Let's take a quick glance of some of our current smiley to refresh our memories:

I am not going to include the webkinz in this section because we will touch base with those in "Volume II of How to Make a "How-To"!".

Smileys are a great way to express feelings that you cannot show on the computer. Many times people will mistake on feeling for another and then, look out, heres comes a fireball! As mentioned, smileys are the perfect solution to your war. Here is an example of a sentence, one you may have well poster by yourself at some point, that could potentially lead to a flame war:

Sentence:
"Wow, that picture sure is cool!"

Smiley Usage One:
"Wow, that picture sure is cool! "

Smiley Usage Two:
"Wow, that picture sure is cool! "

Remember that people will be looking at things differently than you do, thus why we are all differnt. Now before I get into a huge peace talk, lets move onto the next section.

6 ~ Text/Info Part TWO

Now we go on to our second, and final part of the text lessons. This time I will be going over the uses of "leet" speak, and why it is not really allowed here on WI.

For a complete list of "leet" words, check out this wonderful guide, here:
The Definitive Lolcats Glossary - Speak Lol Speak

"Leet" speak is really just words or sayings that have been shrunken down until only the first letters of each word remain, or only a few of the letters remain, or you have a whole new set of letters that sound like the original word(s). Let's go over some examples, to clear some things up.

First Letters Only:
OMG = Oh my gosh!
LOL = Laugh out loud
ROFL = Rolling on floor laughing

Only a Few Letters Remain:
Bckt = Bucket

Whole New Set of Letters:
Hai = Hi!
Mai = My

Remember that you should only use them sparingly or else your comments will look like this:
"Hai, will u plz hlp me 2 get a avvy? o, wat, gtg!"

7 ~ Popularity
8 ~ What Really is a Good Idea?
9 ~ What Now?

Thanks for stopping by! As of right now, this thread is a work in progress, so I appreciate your kindness on that matter and your constructive critiscm.

Once again, thanks!

Last edited by Gillich; 06-17-2009 at 08:43 AM..
Gillich is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #2

birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!birthdayman98 is headed for the top!

Default Re: ~How to Make a "How-to"! ~

Great thread, thanks!!

(I also gave you rep!!!)
birthdayman98 is offline Male
Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
oink
Gifted

naomiglasc is a name known to allnaomiglasc is a name known to allnaomiglasc is a name known to all

this is an awsome thread! I'll definently be coming back!
naomiglasc is offline Female
Old 06-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
as here

Thankz for ypur wonderful comments!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Gifted

candycane is a jewel in the roughcandycane is a jewel in the rough

Yes, I like this. Maybe you should also add that nobody needs the useless guides. Don't make guides just for rep points.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
gangnam style

tarsky781 challenges the impossibletarsky781 challenges the impossible
tarsky781 challenges the impossibletarsky781 challenges the impossible

Great guide, Gillich!
I agree, candycane, that only useful guides should be made
tarsky781 is offline Female
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
(┓^ω^)┛))ヨイサヨイサ♪

MissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellence
MissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellenceMissSparkle is the epitome of excellence

Great how-to for how-to! xD
No seriously, great thread(:
MissSparkle is offline Female
Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
as here

Thanks for your wondeful comments! The thread is currently going though a lot of work!
Closed