Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Gifted

Lake rocks the forumLake rocks the forum
Lake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forum

Default [Guide To] Downloading Fonts for Graphics

Guide to:
Downloading & Using Fonts
From www.dafont.com
**** For HP/Dell Users ****
I do not know if it will work on other computers
>____________________________________<

Hello, Everyone. (:
Here we're going to learn how to download a font from
www.dafont.com and use it to make a graphic for WI and/or another site.
*I'd like to thank Catza for showing me how to do this. :]

>____________________________________<

In order to get a cool or unusual font to make your graphic or just to have it, you'll need to go to a site that has the font(s) that you want. I like to use, and this guide is for, www.dafont.com (<- link)

Now that your there, you can browse through the many fonts, or enter a font name in the search bar.
Click the image to open in full size.

Found a font that you want? Great. Let's download it! **
1. Click the "Download" or "Install" option at the right-hand side of the font's sample box.
2. You'll need to SAVE it to your Desktop, or somewhere easy to get to.
3. Make sure the file is on your computer, and looks like a folder with a zipper.

** Make sure to check if the font is free - some of them arn't.

Now that you've got your font, click on that Zipper File.
It should open up to something like this:

Drag the "True Type Font File" onto your DESKTOP.
If you were to click on the other one, it would give you samples of the text.
Next, you'll need to go to your Computer's Control Panel.

Almost done!
Now that you've opened up your Control Panel (CP) type in
"Fonts" in the search box.
Once there, click on it, and it will open up a box with Font names and files.
Simply drag in the NEW file (like below) you just saved on your Desktop (not zipper!)

Tada! You now have that font on your computer!
Wasn't that easy?

The font you just downloaded will be on everything that you can choose
a font on... encludes:
Paint, Word, Photoshop/editing programs etc.

You are also able to upload fonts to www.lunapic.com if you are
making a graphic there. I have tried this and was unsuccessful- however, that is just me,
and that would explain it. xD Good Luck!

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
(Thank you for posting this, momtofaye)
Quote:

1. Free for personal use means that you may use them for creations that you make and intend to use yourself or possibly give to a friend. It means that you may not use them in any commercial way (for creating an image, using the font and then selling it on a product) without obtaining a commercial license, which costs money. And yes, it means you can not sell it or put it into a collection to sell.

2. The downloaded zip file, once opened, should contain a "Read me" document. Make sure you read it! It will outline any terms for using the font (for instance, if you need to link back to the creator if it's posted on the web, or how to obtain a commercial license if you are interested), the creator of the font and many times their website or a way to reach them. I would be extremely cautious using fonts that don't come with a "Read me" file. www.dafont.com tells you on their FAQ page that the fonts a free, demos or in the public domain. They also say, "If no author/licence is indicated that's because we don't have information, that doesn't mean it's free." Personally I won't use a site like that because it can (but not always) mean that some of the fonts listed shouldn't be.

3. The font site I prefer to use is Find, try, buy and download fonts online : MyFonts and it's a much safer way to make sure you are not violating any copyright issues. Yes, fonts, just like images and photos and many other items, ARE copyrighted. The copyright holder is certainly able to make their fonts free for others to use, either with or without restrictions. With MyFonts, you set up an account and pick the fonts you are interested in...many are free, even for commercial use. You add them to your cart and when done, check out. If you've picked only free fonts the cart totals $0.00 and then you are given an order which you download all at once in a zip file. It's great because it keeps a history of the fonts you've downloaded, so if you're like me and have hundreds, you can easily tell if you've already downloaded them.

Most people reading this will not have to worry about commercial use like I do, but it's never to early to be aware of the fact that fonts are protected and you need to make sure you're not using something you don't have full permission to use. So often we see something on The Net and think, oh, it must be free because they don't indicate it's not or I don't see a copyright on it. That is the furthest thing from the truth. You should never take anything unless it states you can.

Have fun with the fonts! I'm obsessed with them!
If you have any questions, please post on the thread.
I will be anwsering on the thread as well.

Popular Font Choices-
Includes name and sample
(some fonts that might interest you- these are the ones I have downloaded. All of these are free for personal use.)

Spoiler: show

Thank you for reading, and I hope you are able to
find and use some awesome fonts. (;

Last edited by Lake; 07-10-2009 at 12:11 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Call me Karen
Webkinz :)

webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!

Default Re: [Guide To] Downloading Fonts for Graphics

Thank you lake! This would really help me out! By the way, what do you mean, HP? I only have HP Photoshop. That's the closest I can think of.......
webkinzlover218 is offline Female
Old 06-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Gifted

Lake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forumLake rocks the forum

The HP computers. Like Dell, I guess I should say. But yes, it should work on your
Photoshop.
Glad it helped!

Last edited by Lake; 06-27-2009 at 12:41 AM..
Old 06-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
ave
Banned
ave is a WI addict!
ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!ave is a WI addict!

Donation Award 

Lovely guide, Lake. You've put some hard work into this thread! I've got to add, the fonts you put as recomendations were good choices! (Those are the ones I use most often, so I personally love them )
Old 06-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
Gifted

Thank you, Ave!
I love the sample fonts- I use them in pretty much everything I make! xD I don't think I've used a regular font since I learned how to do this.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
Call me Karen
Webkinz :)

webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!webkinzlover218 is headed for the top!

View Post Originally Posted by Lake
The HP computers. Like Dell, I guess I should say. But yes, it should work on your
Photoshop.
Glad it helped!
Thanks for the help, once again, Lake!
webkinzlover218 is offline Female
Old 06-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
Gifted

Would anyone else like to comment? (:
Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #8

i_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talenti_like_pie has lots of talent

great guide. it was very helpful
i_like_pie is offline Female
Old 07-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
i met adam! hehe YAY
Gifted

tucker02 is a glorious beacon of lighttucker02 is a glorious beacon of lighttucker02 is a glorious beacon of light

Very helpful!! (:
tucker02 is offline Female
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
Gifted

Thank you for posting. (:
Closed