Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Somebody Help! > Guides & How-tos

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
GLUB GLUB ♥
Gift Guru

Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!
Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!

Arrow [GUIDE] Blythe's GIMP Guide [Last Added: Downloading Fonts] + A newly remodeled front page! ♥

Blythe's GIMP Guide
Welcome to Blythe's GIMP guide! Here you will find all sorts of tutorials from from basic how-tos and decorations to more complicated graphic designing. If you have any questions about any of the tutorials please don't hesitate to ask me. If you make anything using one of the tutorials go ahead and post it. I love seeing what sort of awesome graphics you can come up with!

Remember, please have fun. And happy graphic making!
Click the image to open in full size.

About Blythe

In case you were wondering here's a little information about my graphics background. I am an art education major, studying to be an art teacher. One of our fields of study is graphic design. I have been dabbling in graphic design for many years now, prior to my studies. My favorite thing to work with is vectors. I absolutely love and adore the way vectors work on the computer. When I was younger I used to code websites as well as make layouts for them. That was a long time ago, and I'm a bit rusty with my CSS and HTML skills. I make all my graphics and design work in gimp with the occasional help from MS paint.

What is GIMP?
GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program (in case you were wondering what GIMP stood for). This is a GIMP guide so all of our tutorials will focus on gimp with the occasional assistance from MS Paint or another free program on the internet/computer that you have access too. If you don't have gimp and are interested in graphic making or graphic design I suggest downloading it. Gimp is absolutely free and trusted. I've had gimp on multiple computers and have never had any problems with it. If you're interested in downloading it you can google GIMP or GIMP DOWNLOAD and will find multiple places to download this lovely program.

File Types
We will be dealing with these types of files throughout the guide. They will be addressed in the different tutorials, but I thought they would be helpful listed here as well.

.png - I use this file type for all my graphics. I think it provides a better upload quality then any of the other extensions. For that reason I won't use JPG files or any other image files. However, if it is what you wish to use then go right ahead. PNG files are also used for transparent images.

.gif - GIF files are used for animation. If there is any sort of animation on your image, you MUST save it as a GIF file.

.xcf - XCF files are files used on GIMP only. They are used when you want to save your work (that has multiple layers) and go back and work on it later. Other file types do not support multiple layers and will compress your image into one picture, making editing later impossible. Often, I will save a finished compressed file and save an XCF of the image in case I later notice something needs changing and have to edit it. That way I don't have to go through the whole creation process again.

Foreground Color & Background Color
Before looking at the tutorials there is one thing I want to go over - Foreground Color and Background Color!
The blue block in front is the foreground color.
While the magenta block is the background color.
Please note, that your colors will be different then mine, these were just the colors set as the foreground and background when I took the screenshot.
You will see the use of background and foreground color a lot so I wanted to go over this before we jumped into the tutorials and avoid going over it every time.

Other tools and things that you need to know will be located in their respectful tutorials.

Other Notes About The Tutorials
I've added pictures to all the tutorials. I always find it easier to see what is happening in a tutorial, so I thought you might like pictures too.

All the tutorials are written with me imagining the reader has no prior knowledge of gimp. If some of it seems a bit repetitive or easy (such as Step 1: Open Gimp) you can always skip over it. I did't want miss out any steps for new users.

The methods in the tutorials are how I do things. If there's a faster way or a different way you know how to do don't hesitate to complete the graphic that way. The way I'm showing you is just the way I do it.

Feedback is much appreciated. If you see a spelling error, messed up picture, are confused at something... Or anything at all. Please don't hesitate to post with your question or feedback or if you don't want to post you can always drop me a PM. I'm always glad to hear what you have to say or help you out if you have any problems.

If you need help PLEASE PLEASE don't be afraid to PM or VM me! I will gladly help you figure out a solution to the problem and help you with your graphic.

The Tutorials

Fonts & Font Effects
Glitter Text - Method #1

Animations
Animated Rain

Miscellaneous
Giving An Image A Transparent Background
Downloading Fonts

Work Made Using This Guide
Below are some graphics people have made using this guide.

Thanks for visiting!
If there are any specific tutorials you'd like to see feel free to suggest them.
I hope you found what you were looking for from this guide.

Last edited by Blythe; 07-10-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Blythe is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Webkinz :)

littlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guidelittlebookie is a golden guide

Default Re: • • • [Blythe's GIMP Guide] • • • [Last Added: Coming Soon]

Cannot wait to see them. I just started using Gimp!
littlebookie is offline Female
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

Priceless has disabled reputation

5 STARS AND REP!! Your doing a great job so far on this thread.

Oops, I need to spread the Love around before giving you some again.
Priceless is offline Male
Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
GLUB GLUB ♥
Gift Guru

Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!Blythe is a def. WINNER!

In this tutorial I'm going to show you how to make glitter text. Glitter text is exactly how it sounds... its text that glitters. Simple right?

Before we even get started making the text we need a .gif for the glitter. This is important otherwise there will be no glitter.

You can find a glitter .gif by googling "Sparkle gif" or something similar. I found
this site for a glitter sparkle. But you can use any site or gif you want for your glitter.

Once you find your sparkle gif you'll want to save it on your computer in a place that you can open it again. After you've saved it you'll want to open it in gimp. Copying it and pasting it doesn't work as well because the different layers that we need won't show up.

To open your creation just open up gimp then go to File > Open and find your glitter. You're gif should then open up on gimp.

We've opened our glitter sparkle gif. You can see that in this particular glitter sparkle there are 3 layers of animation. We'll need to make all 3 layers into separate patterns. But don't worry that's easy!

First, we need to make all the layers except the bottom layer invisible. To do so we'll click on the top two eyes next to the layer name. This leaves only an eye next to the bottom layer. Meaning you can only see the bottom layer.

If its not highlighted, you'll want to make sure the bottom layer is highlighted in blue. Because we're working with the bottom layer. If it isn't highlighted that means it isn't selected and you'll be making changes wherever your selection is.

You'll want to right click on the image and click edit > copy.

Then you'll need to open this image (this layer) in a new image. So on the top bar go to Edit > Paste As > New Image.

A new window will pop up with the layer in it.

Then you'll want to go to File > Save As.

Another window will pop up to prompting you to save your pattern. You can name your pattern whatever your heart desires, but you MUST save it as .pat This file extension is specifically for gimp patterns, which is what we're wanting.

Before you save you need to figure out where your gimp patterns are kept. You can browse around the different save places in the gimp save window by clicking on the browse for other folders option. I found my gimp pattern folder under Owner > Gimp 2.6 > Patterns. Yours will probably be located in the same sort of location. Make sure the pattern is saved IN the patterns folder.

Now you can click save. Once you hit save a window like the one below will pop up. Make sure you name your pattern what it is, because this is the name that shows up in the pattern bar. I recommend naming them Glitter 1, Glitter 2, and Glitter 3 (in the order they were in originally) because this will be important later.

Once you've saved that layer you can exit out of the saved file and back to the original file with the 3 layers.

You'll then need to repeat the above steps with the other two layers. Make sure when you copy the other layers that the one you're copying is highlighted in blue. Also, don't forget to turn on the visibility for the layer you're working on so you can see it. To put it simply, make sure the layer you're working with has an eye next to it and is highlighted in blue.

Once you've saved 3 images as patters its time to start our glitter text!

First, open a new file in gimp. You can make it any size you'd like! but I have decided to make mine 400 px x 125 px so it could fit in a signature. Make sure when you open it you also go to advanced options and make the fill with transparency.

Now's where you get to write out what you want your glitter text to say and pick your own font! I think for glitters chunky text looks best, but its up to you what sort of text you use. Since it is your glitter after all.

In your layers window you'll want to right click on the font layer (highlighted in blue below) and go to duplicate layer. You'll want to duplicate the layer twice. So that you have 3 layers (two duplicated layers and 1 original).

Then you'll want to make all the layers invisible except for the background layer and bottom text layer. Remember! To make the layers invisible we click on the eyes next to them!

You'll need to click on the visible text layer, or the bottom text layer (the one I clicked above). Right click on the image then click text to selection.

"Marching Ants" will appear and seem to move around the text. This is very important to our coloring in the text.

Next we need to open up the up the patterns box. To do so click on Windows on the top bar > Dockable Dialogs > Patterns.

The Patterns box will show then up. Since we've had gimp open this whole time we'll need to click the refresh button (in red) at the bottom of the patterns box so our saved patterns show up.

To add glitter to our text we need to use the stamp tool (or clone tool) that looks like this:

In the clone info bar, you'll want to make sure pattern is selected. You'll also want to make sure that your pattern is selected as well (which you can select in the window we just opened or the clone bar). You'll need to use the first pattern you saved (so that the animation works right, which is why I said save them 1, 2, and 3). Also make sure the brush scale is highest so that you can color your text in faster.

Now its time to color over our text.

It looks fantastic! Now you'll want to change your pattern to the next pattern (in my case pattern 2) and make the second text layer (the first duplicate) visible. Make sure the second text layer is highlighted in blue when you color it in with Pattern 2.

Repeat the process with Pattern 3.

WHEW. We're done. To get rid of those marching ants go to the links at top and click Select > None.

Now we've gotten all that taken care of. The hardest part is done with. You can now go to Filters > Animation > Playback for a playback of your animation if you want to see it right away.

Now that we're done we need to save our text. First click on the background layer and delete it. We don't really need it.

Before we save it you'll need to go to Filters > Animation > Optimize (for GIF). This optimizes our gif and makes it take up less space and run better.

A new window will pop up with the optimized gif. Make sure you click File > Save As on this image since this is your optimized one.

When your save window pops up, save it wherever you want it and under whatever title. Just make sure the file extension is .gif otherwise it won't be animated.

Another window will pop up when you click save. MAKE SURE YOU CLICK SAVE AS ANIMATION. If you don't click this box, your glitter will not animate.

Finish saving it and upload it to your favorite image hosting site or Webkinz Insider.

And ta-da!!

You have your glitter text.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions or if you're having a problem.
I'd love to see what you come up with.

Last edited by Blythe; 07-10-2012 at 01:13 PM..
Blythe is offline Female
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Banned
cheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoW
cheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoWcheekyluver makes the others go WoW

Default Re: • • • [Blythe's GIMP Guide] • • • [Last Added: Glitter Text - Method #1]

WOW! Nice I need to try.
cheekyluver is offline Male
Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
GLUB GLUB ♥
Gift Guru

Default Re: • • • [Blythe's GIMP Guide] • • • [Last Added: Glitter Text - Method #1]

View Post Originally Posted by littlebookie
Cannot wait to see them. I just started using Gimp!
That's awesome!
There's a lot of great guides on here to help you with gimp!

Thanks for commenting.

View Post Originally Posted by Priceless
5 STARS AND REP!! Your doing a great job so far on this thread.

Oops, I need to spread the Love around before giving you some again.
Thank you Priceless!

I had the same problem with your thread earlier.

View Post Originally Posted by cheekyluver
WOW! Nice I need to try.
Thanks for commenting Aric!
c: I hope you can give it a try.
Blythe is offline Female
Old 07-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #7

158lawhop is sweet stuff
158lawhop is sweet stuff158lawhop is sweet stuff158lawhop is sweet stuff158lawhop is sweet stuff158lawhop is sweet stuff

Awesome Guide!
158lawhop is offline Female
Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
i'm amelia

beach_babe is cool as a bunny clownbeach_babe is cool as a bunny clownbeach_babe is cool as a bunny clownbeach_babe is cool as a bunny clownbeach_babe is cool as a bunny clownbeach_babe is cool as a bunny clownbeach_babe is cool as a bunny clownbeach_babe is cool as a bunny clown

I love this guide!! Rep for you!

I have a question though. If and when I get a shop, will you let me use the glitter siggys or are they a Blythe specialty? Thanks!(:
beach_babe is offline Female
Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Gifted

lilduckey99 is cool as a bunny clownlilduckey99 is cool as a bunny clownlilduckey99 is cool as a bunny clownlilduckey99 is cool as a bunny clownlilduckey99 is cool as a bunny clownlilduckey99 is cool as a bunny clownlilduckey99 is cool as a bunny clownlilduckey99 is cool as a bunny clownlilduckey99 is cool as a bunny clown

Nice guide! Rep

I just started using GIMP, WI has a lot of good guides that help, I'm finally getting better xD I used to do a bit of CSS, but I don't really get on the website I'd do it on so I never can do it anymore because like you said the forum doesn't support it D:
lilduckey99 is offline Female
Old 07-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
GLUB GLUB ♥
Gift Guru

View Post Originally Posted by 158lawhop
Awesome Guide!
Thank you!
I'm glad you checked the guide out!

View Post Originally Posted by beach_babe
I love this guide!! Rep for you!

I have a question though. If and when I get a shop, will you let me use the glitter siggys or are they a Blythe specialty? Thanks!(:
Thank you!
I'm glad you like it.
Of course you can use the glitter siggies!
This guide is for your use! Feel free to use the technique and make anything your heart desires!
:3

View Post Originally Posted by lilduckey99
Nice guide! Rep

I just started using GIMP, WI has a lot of good guides that help, I'm finally getting better xD I used to do a bit of CSS, but I don't really get on the website I'd do it on so I never can do it anymore because like you said the forum doesn't support it D:
Thank you!
I'm glad you like it.
Yes, there are a lot of WI guides for GIMP.
I think that's what has made us all better.
:3

Yeah, I wish forums supported CSS.
That would be very cool.
(:
Blythe is offline Female
Closed

Tags
fabulous guide!, you are beautiful(:, ~~~jazzgal~~~