Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's All About The Webkinz! > General Discussion / Chat

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Huskfan
Gifted

webkinzgirl24 is a glorious beacon of lightwebkinzgirl24 is a glorious beacon of lightwebkinzgirl24 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Need some support!

My older sister did the same thing as your doing but ,she told her kids that if she could quit smoking then she would buy a swimming pool for the whole family to use. She managed to do it because she didn't want to disappoint her kids & If she can do it then I know that you can. I wish you the best of luck.
webkinzgirl24 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #12

cbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truth
cbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truthcbjhockey climbs the tree of truth

You can do it! I am so proud of you for trying! Admitting you need help to get through it will really get you a long way.

I have never been a smoker (I have asthma) but I was a nail biter. A couple years ago, I made a similar deal with my husband. I would quit biting my nails and when all my nails grew past the end of my finger tips, I would get to go have my first manicure! At first, I kept having set backs and I grew very discouraged. Then I found that quitting one nail at a time seemed like something I could do. So each week I would paint one nail more (yes, I looked a little funny but seeing the paint always reminded me that nail was off limits). Eventually both hands were completely painted! When all was said and done, I opted out of my manicure but got tickets to see "Cats" as my reward instead.

Some things that I learned that helped me were:

1. Try to avoid situations that always make you want to use. For me, I had to quit reading suspense novels for a little while because when I was just sitting there quietly engaged in the book, I would end up biting my nails.

2. Find something that you can busy yourself with. When I would find myself starting to bite my nails or when I would think about biting my nails, I would go to the kitchen and bake cookies. If I wasn't home, I would sing a little song to myself in my head (it seemed to kind of center me and drown out the urge).

3. I found that if I had something in my mouth, it really helped. I carried gum, mints, hard candies, etc. with me everywhere. If I was at home I would grab carrot sticks or pretzels because the crunch seemed to be a mild comfort to me.

4. I taped up a calendar inside one of my kitchen cabinets. I would put a gold star sticker on each day that I didn't bite my nails at all. As silly as it seemed, having that little reminder of how well I was doing really seemed to motivate me.

5. The biggest thing that helped me was believing in myself and surrounding myself with people who could do the same. When I told my mom and grandma that I was going to quit biting my nails they both doubted me. Both instantly reminded me that I had tried before and that I hadn't made it. I really took their words to heart and after one particularly hard conversation one day I realized that I was letting them hold me back. That was when I decided that even if I could quit all at once, I could still make it one finger at a time. I refused to talk to them about it and would only listen to people who were supporting me. My husband never said a harsh word to me when I would slip but he would gently touch my arm when he would see my biting my nails and my daughter would ask my to play a game of rock paper scissors anytime she would see me. It really helped that they didn't draw attention to what I was doing wrong but instead supported me by distracting me.

Good luck!
cbjhockey is offline Female
Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
beachcomber488
Gift Guru

jsebaker is just really nicejsebaker is just really nice

You people here in are truly the best. Your comments and support are bringing me to tears. Thank you ,Thank you I really need you.
jsebaker is offline Female
Old 07-12-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
dustysky34
Gift Guru

dustysky wows us all with wonderdustysky wows us all with wonderdustysky wows us all with wonderdustysky wows us all with wonderdustysky wows us all with wonderdustysky wows us all with wonderdustysky wows us all with wonderdustysky wows us all with wonderdustysky wows us all with wonderdustysky wows us all with wonder

Donation Award 

We are all here for you!!!
dustysky is offline Female
Old 07-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
golasso
Gifted

Yoshi is the cats pajamas!Yoshi is the cats pajamas!Yoshi is the cats pajamas!Yoshi is the cats pajamas!Yoshi is the cats pajamas!Yoshi is the cats pajamas!

Quote:
God never gives you anything you can't handle. Everything happens for a reason.
That is exactly true. Think about the results of smoking.
Stop for your kids.
=]
Yoshi is offline Male
Old 07-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #16
beachcomber488
Gift Guru

jsebaker is just really nicejsebaker is just really nice

View Post Originally Posted by icecube730
WOuld you like your thread in my signature? I can get all of WI to post support messages for you I will help you all the way.
I would love for you to do this for me, Thank you, Thank you.
jsebaker is offline Female
Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #17
Gifted

webkinz is fun is the cats pajamas!webkinz is fun is the cats pajamas!webkinz is fun is the cats pajamas!webkinz is fun is the cats pajamas!webkinz is fun is the cats pajamas!webkinz is fun is the cats pajamas!

hi it is great you are giving up on it play webkinz do what makes you happy to avoid doing it
webkinz is fun is offline Female
Old 07-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #18
kcdavidson
Gifted
kcdavidson is on a distinguished road

Also - just try to quit today - do not try to think about NEVER smoking again. For a lot of folks its a "break" - you get away from everyone, go outside, and have a few minutes alone. You may miss that and not the actual cigarette??? But do not think about the long haul - just quit for today or for this hour or the next 5 minutes........ whatever gets you thru....

Good luck! I'm proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kcdavidson is offline Female
Old 07-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #19
Webkinz :)

DrLolly is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to say how proud I am of you for starting this journey . . . and for reaching out for help! That takes courage. You are definitely starting on a great path towards better health and happiness. It may get bumpy along the way, and you may get some set backs, but if you keep your eye on the prize and keep your faith in yourself and God, then I feel certain you will achieve your goal of being smoke free!

My Mom finally quit smoking way back in the 80's when my son was in Kindergarten. They had studied about smoking and the dangers of it . . . including cancer . . . and possible death. He came home, hugged his Grandma (my Mom) with tears in his eyes and said, "Grandma please stop smoking for me. I want you to live forever so we can always play together." She quit right then and there. Never picked up another cigarette.

He had touched a place in her heart that somehow gave her full strength in her commitment. She had tried so many times before and was never able stay off the smokes - though she really, really tried. I'm not sure why that time was different, but it was. It wasn't easy, but it has been 22 years . . . and I thank God every day for more time with my Mom, "so we can always play together."

Out of the mouth of babes!

Last edited by DrLolly; 07-12-2008 at 05:02 PM..
DrLolly is offline Female
Old 07-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #20
Banned
icecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wonder

You have some true friends here I PMed you the FROG story, put this link in my Signature, and am about to send a friends/contacts request. I am with you all the way! Keep posting these encouraging messages everyone! PM me for ANYTHING!
icecube730 is offline Female
Closed