Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's All About The Webkinz! > General Discussion / Chat

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
Webkinz :)

outgoinglyshy is a WI addict!
outgoinglyshy is a WI addict!outgoinglyshy is a WI addict!outgoinglyshy is a WI addict!outgoinglyshy is a WI addict!outgoinglyshy is a WI addict!outgoinglyshy is a WI addict!outgoinglyshy is a WI addict!outgoinglyshy is a WI addict!

Default Re: The future of webkinz

I agree with 6Jedis and Dixiecup. I am optimistic that Ganz has known for a long time that Flash would become obsolete and that they have been working toward making WW available in a new format.

I think that by posting that information they are letting us know that it will continue. Some things may be different and that's to be expected. There may also be new things...new games and activities...to look forward to. How could they continue to market the Estore and Deluxe memberships if they were going to let it all slip away?

The mobile app as we know it is limited and yes, the dock is slow. I am personally hoping they can develop a search feature for the dock. Even just an alphabetical search would be a great improvement. You know, just being able to jump to all M items for example, especially within a category. Anyway, I am hopeful that the app will improve and the computer version will be just as good and that we won't need both to access everything.
outgoinglyshy is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2017, 10:56 AM   #12
hoo-hoo!

Honeybear is an unparalleled talent
Honeybear is an unparalleled talentHoneybear is an unparalleled talentHoneybear is an unparalleled talentHoneybear is an unparalleled talentHoneybear is an unparalleled talentHoneybear is an unparalleled talentHoneybear is an unparalleled talentHoneybear is an unparalleled talentHoneybear is an unparalleled talent

I was also really upset to read about this change yesterday. The mobile app is soooooo limited, I can't imagine Ganz being able to improve it to the point where it even remotely resembles the regular online game experience. I'm also a 10+ year member and I also prefer to play on my large screen computer vs. my phone or iPad.

Will the computer-based game continue until Flash ends? Does Ganz have 2 years to get their ducks in a row with this? When I read the announcement it sounded like they were going to switch over at some point in 2018 (and it would be a miracle if they were ready, right?). If I still have 2 years in the current format, I'm good with that and can remain hopeful things will be OK when I'm forced to switch. For the foreseeable future, though, I just don't see the point in putting any more $$ into it.

I won't completely despair until I actually see what improvements in functionality they make to the mobile game. A girl can dream, right?
Honeybear is offline Female
Old 12-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #13

Lettykinz defies all odds
Lettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all oddsLettykinz defies all odds

I've been playing since 2006 and am going the optimistic route - I'd hate to lose the ability to play this game and am hoping the downloadable version for desktops will be great.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:02 PM   #14

snoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no bounds
snoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no bounds

I also hope the downloadable version will be great. (and large enough!)
snoopy1044 is offline Female
Old 12-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #15
blueguy's Hawaii
Gift Guru

blueguy is a genius through and through
blueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and throughblueguy is a genius through and through

This may be the end of Webkinz for me because I'm not going to mobile (way too small), if it comes to that. Besides that - I'm agree with what Dixiecup stated: ... it’s membership is so low that it barely is enough to keep the site running ... !! I will cut down on buying Estore points and only buy certain items !!

blueguy
blueguy is offline Male
Old 12-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #16

Faunalover is a forum hero
Faunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum hero

This is really worrying!
I’ve been on Webkinz nearly since the beginning, and since then I’ve spent more on it than any other hobby I’ve given up for it.
I have Webkinz on both computer and phone - but outside of little things like the mobile shop, I play it ONLY on my desktop.
Two of my absolute favorite activities are playing certain games like Pizza Palace and decorating pet rooms. My phone screen is waaaay too small and awkward for me to decorate - I’ve tried and failed several times - and even if Pizza Palace were on mobile, I still wouldn’t wind up playing nearly as much in general because I love my computer screen.

If the mobile version for computer doesn’t prove to be just as good if not better than right now as it is, much as I desperately love Webkinz, I don’t know how long I’ll be able to continue believing it’s worth the money I’ve put into it.
I’ve really tried to be patient with Estore items not working as they should and I don’t mind the mobile version as a very minor side thing, but I am decidedly UNinterested in a new version if it’s a glorified version of what’s on my phone.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #17

Starburst1425 is a wise owlStarburst1425 is a wise owlStarburst1425 is a wise owlStarburst1425 is a wise owl
Starburst1425 is a wise owlStarburst1425 is a wise owlStarburst1425 is a wise owl

I have mixed reactions to this. I hope Webkinz keeps going. I love all my little Webbies. I have had several games I liked shut down, which was very disappointing. I have apps on my device and phone that have stopped being updated, so I can no longer play them.

Two years is a ways off yet. Who knows what technology will be developed and what will become obsolete. A brand new computer right off the store shelf is already out of date. As soon as you start setting it up, it demands updates.

I am interested to see if and how they manage to bring some game features to the app. Will there be Kinzchat? Will we be able to go to the park or clubhouse? Would the Academy Strength class actually become passable?

I know for certain at this time: I really do not want Webkinz to disappear completely.

I hope the game, in it's entirety, could continue indefinitely.
(With all available features. Obviously could live without glitches)

Last edited by Starburst1425; 12-28-2017 at 08:25 PM..
Old 12-29-2017, 12:49 AM   #18
20hreiling

lpscat123 has accomplished something fantabulous
lpscat123 has accomplished something fantabulouslpscat123 has accomplished something fantabulouslpscat123 has accomplished something fantabulouslpscat123 has accomplished something fantabulouslpscat123 has accomplished something fantabulouslpscat123 has accomplished something fantabulous

Let me just say 2 things. 1: when webkinz becomes only available through the app everything on your account will NOT be lost and your stuff will STILL be on there as long as you know your username and password. 2: when this does happen you will STILL be able to play on computers because the webkinz app WILL become downloadable for computers next year! i hope this clears some things up so when this happens you will NOT quit just because you think you will lose all your stuff if you log on to the mobile app or if you ONLY play webkinz on a computer!
lpscat123 is offline Female
Old 12-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #19
ish you well
Gifted

Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness

Ipscat123 is right. It’s obvious you will have access to all your stuff as you already have access to everything through the mobile. So that’s already pretty well accomplished.
While a lot of you are worried about the future of the site, I will remind you that not only have they been pro-active and transparent they’ve also proven that they know they are not able to accomplish this without outside assistance. If They’ve gone through the expense of hiring an outside third party to assist them, they’re serious and certain that they want this to work. They worked HARD to keep us over the years, they won out over Shining Stars, Zookeys, neopets and penguin club. That takes effort and dedication.

What they are doing in launching the app in 2018 is creating a base for the new Webkinz World. Obviously the Flash base is full of holes and the floor is falling out from under their feet, so, like a any new home; a new, solid foundation must be built.
As soon as the app is available I will be downloading it. I want to be a part of the rebuild because it will give me intimate knowledge of the site.

When Webkinz Insider first began, it was there to figure out how things worked, what drove the program and it was EXCITING because we had a lot of very knowledgeable people who cracked patterns and figured out programs and how they worked. We learned a lot about the games within the game and a lot of us appreciate what kind of effort went into that.

Now, it’s a ‘New-Gen’ version and I wonder if everyone will be as swift to pick up on the patterns, algorithms and data structures as they were ‘back in the day.’

Stick around, I think we’re in for a treat!
Dixiecup is offline Female
Old 12-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #20

Faunalover is a forum hero
Faunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum heroFaunalover is a forum hero

Ipscat - that’s a huge relief
Dixie - you’re definitely right about the site’s resilience.

Please don’t let my previous panicked words leave any doubt in your minds that I would be nothing short of >crushed< if WW was ever discontinued. Real life has been especially difficult for a long time and those adorable cuddly plushes have meant so much - if they hadn’t, pretty much all my other hobbies wouldn’t have lost out to them.
I was just panicking that the actual browser version would have all the things missing like the current mobile one, then I worried more that, similar to the Estore item situation, they might be a bit too ambitious then not be able to keep up with both glitch correction and new production.

I’m now looking forward - albeit tentatively - to the new (and hopefully improved in many good ways) Webkinz World.
Closed

Tags
chalk one up for lablover