Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's All About The Webkinz! > General Discussion / Chat

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Webkinz :)
RobKinz has much to be proud ofRobKinz has much to be proud ofRobKinz has much to be proud ofRobKinz has much to be proud of

Default The future of webkinz

From WKN -- Special Report with Steve Webkinz

This past year, it was officially announced by Adobe that they would be discontinuing Flash Player for web browsers in 2020. For Webkinz, once that happens, the mobile version of Webkinz will be the only version of the game. For those that still prefer to play on desktop or laptop computers, in 2018 we will be launching a version of the Webkinz mobile app that can be downloaded onto your computer and played without using a web browser.
RobKinz is offline Male
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
grannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talentgrannyzett has lots of talent

Default Re: The future of webkinz

Such a shame for us that do not have mobile Not fair. Ten years of playing then lose it all.
grannyzett is offline Female
Old 12-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #3

snoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no bounds
snoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no boundssnoopy1044 knows no bounds

I am very sad and disappointed. Also a ten year player, I have mobile on my phone and tablet, but prefer a large screen experience. I will definitely wait until the last minute in 2020 to download the mobile experience to my desktop, (it might be de-bugged by then) and see how it works. Meanwhile I plan to enjoy Webkinz for a couple of years.
snoopy1044 is offline Female
Old 12-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
pollywog2
Gift Guru

pollywog is a WI addict!
pollywog is a WI addict!pollywog is a WI addict!pollywog is a WI addict!pollywog is a WI addict!pollywog is a WI addict!pollywog is a WI addict!pollywog is a WI addict!pollywog is a WI addict!pollywog is a WI addict!

Am I missing something here. I can only do a couple of things on my mobile version on my phone. No park, clubhouse, only a few games etc. I will miss the big screen if I can't play on my desktop.
pollywog is offline Female
Old 12-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Go XYZ!

Queen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicness
Queen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicnessQueen of Sheba is epic beyond epicness

View Post Originally Posted by RobKinz
From WKN -- Special Report with Steve Webkinz

This past year, it was officially announced by Adobe that they would be discontinuing Flash Player for web browsers in 2020. For Webkinz, once that happens, the mobile version of Webkinz will be the only version of the game. For those that still prefer to play on desktop or laptop computers, in 2018 we will be launching a version of the Webkinz mobile app that can be downloaded onto your computer and played without using a web browser.

It is totally out of the control of Ganz that flash player is being discontinued. Meanwhile, the game up to this point has been dependent on it.

I know some of you are discouraged, but I am so encouraged that Ganz is coming out with an app that will be downloadable to our personal computers! I know they are working hard to make adjustments to make our playing experience similar to how we know it. It seems like they have a long way to go as those of us that play on mobile know the limitations. However, I am hoping that the solution they are working on will satisfy all the Webkinz fans out there.

I guess the alternative is no Webkinz and that would make me sad! Meanwhile, I am hopeful!
Queen of Sheba is offline Female
Old 12-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #6

6Jedis knows the way
6Jedis knows the way

It was shocking and scary to read this, but I am encouraged that they addressed this and let us know about it in advance. It looks like they are planning to keep the webkinz experience we know alive and moving forward. I do have the mobile app on my ipad but do not play on it except to do the wheel prize and shop for mobile only items. The dock on the mobile app is too slow to scroll through it all even with the sorting categories which helps some. I really do hope the version for the computer will be close to what we have now on the computer. It would be very hard to go to mobile app only if it didn't have improvements made to it.
6Jedis is offline Female
Old 12-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
•| ❣️ ѕoх ❣️ |•

luvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicness
luvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicnessluvzfrogs is epic beyond epicness

I'm literally in shock, when I read that all I could do was think "wow". That's absolutely crazy that they're going to do that in soon to be 2 years from now . I hope they'll be able to think of another alternative (which they probably are) about how to make WW still accessible & fun for all of us to play it the way we've always known it. Although as Queen of Sheba said, Ganz has nothing to do with that & what Adobe chooses to use & discontinue. Things are always changing & technology is too, just imagine would could be possible then to what seems impossible now, the options are endless. Who knows what's in store for WW in the future, but hopefully it all works out in the end. I hope the saying "all good things come to an end" isn't true in this case, at least not yet.
luvzfrogs is offline Female
Old 12-27-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
Aspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talentAspidistra has lots of talent

There is no excuse for this.

It has been known for years that Flash is going away, and the replacement for Flash is HTML5. 34 of the top 100 most popular websites already use HTML5. It’s likely that the average user won’t even realize there’s a difference between HTML 5 and Flash – and that’s exactly how developers want it. It's not like everything will come to a crashing halt and all the game sites and web sites will have to end. Just like when Java changed, just like when IE or Chrome put out new versions overnight and didn't tell anyone, everyone from AOL to Walmart to Discover Channel had to redo their entire sites to make them work. But it is done. You just have to have good programmers, and you have to plan ahead,. Something Ganz doesn't seem to bother with.

They pulled Webkinz X on the members as a bad business decision and promised they'd fix the carnage "in a few months" and it's still broken after 2 1/2 years. They still sell pets whose Pet Items don't work, eStore items are still sold that are broken and wallpapers, flooring, Pet of the Month items still are available that don't work. Holiday items still don't work.

When Mazing Hamsters was retired, people were told it was because Unity Player wasn't around anymore. Go ahead and Google 'Unity Player'. Most of the awesome, massive, incredible games out there are made using Unity Player. The problem with MH was it was built on a 9 year old version of Unity Player and never updated, so the game stopped working. It wasn't the player, it was Ganz not doing the work to update the game. It was offered to them that it would be updated, for free, and they wouldn't do accept the offer. They closed the game even though people had bought hamsters and had a lot of moolah sitting that they didn't even have the opportunity to spend on the prizes in MH that they'd played to earn.

Flash has little to do with it. There are tons of game sites out there and many you will still be playing on your laptop or desktop. Ganz just doesn't want to bother. What bothers me is all the actual money people, including myself, have put into our accounts and how Ganz continues to push and push for this pay to play and buy buy buy mentality. Yet once again, more will be taken away and I for one don't have the eyesight to play on a mobile device. I have a disabled nephew who can't use mobile devices. We still have tons of things from Webkinz X that are broken that we are waiting to be fixed, and even before that promise is fulfilled Ganz is going to further break the game and take more away?

One of the tricks in the industry is to keep whittling away at the membership until you don't have a lot left, then close the game by saying you don't have enough players left to justify keeping the game going. Those of us who paid for Deluxe, paid for all the features that will no longer be there or be seen or be usable - do we get refunds?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:04 AM   #9

6Jedis knows the way
6Jedis knows the way

My kids still miss amazing hamsters and we all miss webkinz friends. I also played tail towns which was absolutely beautiful design and was really sad when that was shut down. I really hope webkinz continues, it is the one thing our family plays together.
6Jedis is offline Female
Old 12-28-2017, 04:27 AM   #10
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾
Gifted

Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness
Dixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicnessDixiecup is epic beyond epicness

Hmm, seems like a lot of you are making assumptions.
I’ve been watching, too. I’m actually excited that they are even trying such a huge endeavour, to be honest.
There are so many items and people keep demanding more and more. There is an expectation of them to continue to create while at the same time fix what has been broken.
There’s so much to move over and while a lot of it may be derivative, it still takes work, time and money.
It’s like this site. While in its heyday, it may have been more profitable to continue updating. Now, it’s membership is so low that it barely is enough to keep the site running, but the owner does keep updating the license. It’s not about being selfish or greedy, it’s a business and when you get a poor return on your investment why would you continue to beat a dead horse?
Obviously, Ganz sees some profit in this or they wouldn’t continue to try and move into a future with Webkinz. I’m going to be patient and watch what happens. I recall the early days of Webkinz when there wasn’t a lot to do and it got better.
Let it grow.
Dixiecup is offline Female
Closed

Tags
chalk one up for lablover