Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's All About The Webkinz! > General Discussion / Chat

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #3681
virgyniaB
Webkinz :)

gynia knows the way
gynia knows the way

Default Re: DISCUSSION - People with Special Needs and Webkinz

View Post Originally Posted by washydog
I'm so glad to see others who agree that Autism Speaks is not actually for helping autistic people.

And nice meeting you too! I just joined this forum and it's full of helpful and kind people. Your son seems lucky to have an early diagnosis, I was never diagnosed until I was an adolescent.

he was actually one of the first 100 kids to be diagnosed in the US when the dx first entered the dsm... so lucky, in that sense... but there was almost NO information on how to help or accomodate for those folks... so, there was a lot of guess and hope (grins) and a LOT of intuition, on my part, for what to do.... shrugs...
gynia is offline Female Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #3682
ElfeofMoon
ElfeofMoon is a name known to allElfeofMoon is a name known to allElfeofMoon is a name known to all

I'm an autistic 19yr old with an anxiety disorder who just found this thread, and let me tell you, It.... annoys me a bit?

First off, Autism Awareness Month is an Autism $peaks thing. ASAN (et al.)'s alternative is Autism ACCEPTANCE month. Lighting it up blue, is a AGAIN, an A$ thing, so naming your next blue pet autism awareness just.... uuuh yeah please dont do that. Autism speaks has a vile history, and while they FINALLY after ALL THESE YEARS have two autistic people in their board of directors, improvement has yet to show. Props to washydog and gynia for bringing this up!

Theres also person first language, "has autism" vs "is autistic". Its a matter of preference, but I and every single other autistic person that I actually know prefer the latter, because our autism is part of who we are, not something we carry along in a shopping bag. We are not normal kids with some autism on top, we ARE autistic. Might just be me though, and IDK, it may also have been discussed here. (And if any autistc folks here prefer to say that they "have autism" thats fine by me. Its just in general....)

"As more research is conducted, breakthroughs in autism treatment are more likely." <first post. Autism "treatement" and "cures" is a terrifying concept to me. It means that someone wants to cure everything I am. See I AM autistic above. Therapy is good, but again not all therapy, theres a lot of horror stories related to ABA, I can link a good article about that.

"Prevalence has increased 78% over the previous five years." No, it hasn't. Diagnostic methods have improved, allowing a lot of people who would previously have slipped through the cracks to get the diagnosis they need.

I hope I don't come off as too harsh or even attacking anyone here, that is not my intent. My intent is to educate, but after responding to these same falsehoods a lot, my language in doing so may have become more agressive.
ElfeofMoon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #3683
Autism Awareness

Electrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicness
Electrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicness

View Post Originally Posted by ElfeofMoon
I'm an autistic 19yr old with an anxiety disorder who just found this thread, and let me tell you, It.... annoys me a bit?

First off, Autism Awareness Month is an Autism $peaks thing. ASAN (et al.)'s alternative is Autism ACCEPTANCE month. Lighting it up blue, is a AGAIN, an A$ thing, so naming your next blue pet autism awareness just.... uuuh yeah please dont do that. Autism speaks has a vile history, and while they FINALLY after ALL THESE YEARS have two autistic people in their board of directors, improvement has yet to show. Props to washydog and gynia for bringing this up!

Theres also person first language, "has autism" vs "is autistic". Its a matter of preference, but I and every single other autistic person that I actually know prefer the latter, because our autism is part of who we are, not something we carry along in a shopping bag. We are not normal kids with some autism on top, we ARE autistic. Might just be me though, and IDK, it may also have been discussed here. (And if any autistc folks here prefer to say that they "have autism" thats fine by me. Its just in general....)

"As more research is conducted, breakthroughs in autism treatment are more likely." <first post. Autism "treatement" and "cures" is a terrifying concept to me. It means that someone wants to cure everything I am. See I AM autistic above. Therapy is good, but again not all therapy, theres a lot of horror stories related to ABA, I can link a good article about that.

"Prevalence has increased 78% over the previous five years." No, it hasn't. Diagnostic methods have improved, allowing a lot of people who would previously have slipped through the cracks to get the diagnosis they need.

I hope I don't come off as too harsh or even attacking anyone here, that is not my intent. My intent is to educate, but after responding to these same falsehoods a lot, my language in doing so may have become more agressive.
If you check the first post this thread was created in 2008 and yes many things/thoughts etc. have changed.
Electrabuzz1 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #3684
ElfeofMoon
ElfeofMoon is a name known to allElfeofMoon is a name known to allElfeofMoon is a name known to all

I saw that (though the question of why its still there remains. Is there a limit to how old a post can be before you lose the ability to edit?).

It's also that within the last few pages (and don't worry, I also noted that that was last year) saw the call to "light it up blue", which is one of the things I got annoyed at. I am aware that opinions change, people get to know the facts, etc etc, but without a correction given inbetween that and now, I couldn't know, and thus got, I admit, rather rashly upset. My apologies.

I'd also like to apologize for how agressive my post sounded - in hindsight, it was way worse than I thought. I'll leave it as it is so as not to erase my past actions, though.

Overall, this thread is great and I'm glad it exists. I got into webkinz when I was 12, and I can't begin to count the number of ways it has helped me cope with various things over the years. I believe that it has contributed to my social learning, and the plushes have always provided me reassurance - my Signiature German Shepard, which I got when I had just turned 13, is still one of my favourites today, because it's fur hits my favourite-texture sweet spot.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #3685
Autism Awareness

I saw that (though the question of why its still there remains. Is there a limit to how old a post can be before you lose the ability to edit?).

It's also that within the last few pages (and don't worry, I also noted that that was last year) saw the call to "light it up blue", which is one of the things I got annoyed at. I am aware that opinions change, people get to know the facts, etc etc, but without a correction given inbetween that and now, I couldn't know, and thus got, I admit, rather rashly upset. My apologies.

I'd also like to apologize for how agressive my post sounded - in hindsight, it was way worse than I thought. I'll leave it as it is so as not to erase my past actions, though.

Overall, this thread is great and I'm glad it exists. I got into webkinz when I was 12, and I can't begin to count the number of ways it has helped me cope with various things over the years. I believe that it has contributed to my social learning, and the plushes have always provided me reassurance - my Signiature German Shepard, which I got when I had just turned 13, is still one of my favourites today, because it's fur hits my favourite-texture sweet spot.
I started this thread when my son was very young and I was using it as a learning tool for him. Webkinz and WI were both a fantastic and safe way to introduce him to the online world.

I was and am just a parent learning to navigate my sons diagnosis. He obviously has different issues than you and my initial efforts were just about acceptance/understanding/equality/kindness . . .

I am Canadian and our resources are different than the US so I had tried to find sources that cater to more of a national audience. I have been made aware of how many feel about Autism Speaks. They do not have the same level of influence in Canada as the US but my understanding is that it was started by caring Grandparents. Maybe I am wrong? Either way I do not want to get into a debate about Autism Speaks. I will leave it to individuals to form their own opinions.

As far as older information in previous posts. I do not go back and edit as they were relevant to the time and not meant to be current. Many of the other posts are also by parents like myself, we are just learning as we go along. Believe me, we make mistakes but that does not detract from our love or the place in our hearts that we are coming from.

Thank you for your post. I always have a lot to learn and as a weary, over-worked parent I do not always have the time or energy to keep current or politically correct. Things are always changing. Although, I must say, if you want to give me harsh criticism, please do it via PM.

As to your question as to why this thread has not closed - it is pinned so the system will not automatically close it as other threads on WI. I could edit the first post, or any post really, if I chose.

FYI - my sons first and still favourite Webkinz is the German Shepherd.

It is very nice to meet you!!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:28 PM   #3686
Totally Wacky

tribbles had their name pop up under (did you mean) when you type (awesome) on Googletribbles had their name pop up under (did you mean) when you type (awesome) on Googletribbles had their name pop up under (did you mean) when you type (awesome) on Google
tribbles had their name pop up under (did you mean) when you type (awesome) on Googletribbles had their name pop up under (did you mean) when you type (awesome) on Googletribbles had their name pop up under (did you mean) when you type (awesome) on Googletribbles had their name pop up under (did you mean) when you type (awesome) on Google

*hugs Buzzy* thank you for the response. I was lost on how to respond to ElfeofMoon....probably doesn't help that I'm on strong pain meds following having a root of my tooth removed from my mouth today. not everything on this thread is about autism. there is a lot about other special needs too. please forgive me if i don't use proper punctuation right now. i wanted to welcome you ElfeofMoon to this thread. Going back to bed.

*hugs and love*
Tribbles
tribbles is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #3687
ElfeofMoon

Thank you for your understanding! I didn't mean to be so brash, and I'm glad I'm still welcome here.

What happen reminds me of this time that I was arguing with a girl in my class who is phyiscally, mentally and neurologically completely healthy and get straight A grades all the time. She'd said some nasty things about a girl who was struggling so much that she was considering dropping out. The girl wasn't present, so I argued with the first girl in her place, and at one point in the argument, my brain just seized up.

I thought of a lot of things, tried to say them all at once, then it came out as utter incoherent nonsense, but yet, my brain unreasonably believed that I'd actually said all of those things, and expected the girl to know them, because after all I'd just told her. Her response was one she wouldn't have given if I'd actually told her the things, so I yelled at her and stormed off. (I apologized and explained later. She forgave me, thankfully.)

I didn't mean to ask why this thread wasn't closed - Like I said, I'm super glad it exists. What I was asking was why certain information (the information I refuted in my introduction) was still in the first post, since thats the post that is most prominent to new arrivals such as myself.

I understand that everything is a learning process, and I shouldn't have expected anyone to know things that were not readily apparent to you. Just as an example, take Autism $peaks. How is a parent of a newly diagnosed child supposed to know the issue about them? After all, if they go looking for information and google "autism" it shows up as the FIRST result after ads, above Wikipedia.

I respect all of you for doing your best - of course everyone makes mistakes, and I'm glad that you learn from them. I do not wish to give harsh critisism, I'm sorry I came off that way. I face a lot of ignorance in my real life, and my patience has worn thin on that, so sometimes I forget myself, and start yelling at people who really don't deserve it. As you say, things are always changing, and not everyone has the time and resources to stay up to date, and it was not fair of me to react so angrily.

ElectraBuzz - I'm glad your son has a parent who cares about him so much. How old is he?

About the A$ being started by caring relatives - It was in fact started by grandparents wanting to help their autistic grandchild, and I can't vouch for what it was like then, but now its grown into a monster, that wants to end autism and promotes eugenics, even if not in quite those words. But I'm willing to let the discussion cease in here - if anyone wants to argue this out with me, my PM box is open.

I'd like to apologize one more time for my outburst, and thank you for accepting and welcoming me anyway. You can call me Elfe! It's german, and is the feminine form of Elf, which means the exact same thing as it does in english. I regard myself as nonbinary, but still use the she/her suite of pronouns and feminine terms to refer to myself, though its not as prevalent in english as it is in german, where our three articles give EVERYTHING a gender.

tribbles - OW that sounds painful. I hope you feel better soon!
Old 03-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #3688
Autism Awareness

ElectraBuzz - I'm glad your son has a parent who cares about him so much. How old is he?
Hello!!

We are actually not supposed to discuss age on this site but I will say that my DS is in high school - and loving every minute of it. He is in a community pathways program and thrives at school. On weekends he volunteers at the firehall. He also does Therapeutic Horseback Riding, Skating, Baseball and attends a social program weekly at our community centre. He keeps me busy.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #3689
ElfeofMoon

Oh right, sorry, I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me. And wow, that does sound very busy! I have the misfortune of living in a very small town where there's very little in the way of activities, at least ones that would interest me. I was in musical school, but that shut down. Same as drama club at school bc there was too little interest.

So, as it is, I just spend a lot of time at home, and also online.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #3690
Autism Awareness

Oh right, sorry, I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me. And wow, that does sound very busy! I have the misfortune of living in a very small town where there's very little in the way of activities, at least ones that would interest me. I was in musical school, but that shut down. Same as drama club at school bc there was too little interest.

So, as it is, I just spend a lot of time at home, and also online.
We live in a suburb of a very large city.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

I think I would enjoy small town living . . . until I wanted to go shopping. I like a lot of choices.

Tags
all children are special!, autism is a gift, autism is normal, coolio101 waz here!!!, eclipsestrike, electrabuzz1 rocks!, gillian's sis has autism, good topic, great info!-hayley, great thread!, great thread! penny lane, hollister:]was here, kay's favorites tag, loveourkids!, n.i.c.k. j.o.n.a.s<3<3<3, pppoker face, s.m.o.p.h.i.e, special needs&webkinz, support differences, thank you buzz ♥, usernames!, webkinz4specialneeds, yo-yo-yoshi, ♥ jesus 4eva! ~hpf, ♥autism is special♥