Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's All About The Webkinz! > General Discussion / Chat

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
Gift Guru

LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!LilyRose is headed for the top!

Default Re: Thread I would like - Special Needs

Quote:
Games that special needs children are able to navigate are also low earning.
You just hit the nail on the head.
LilyRose is offline Female Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
GreekAsianPanda

That's a wonderful idea! Rep point for you! =D
Old 10-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
golasso
Gifted

Yoshi is the cats pajamas!Yoshi is the cats pajamas!Yoshi is the cats pajamas!Yoshi is the cats pajamas!Yoshi is the cats pajamas!Yoshi is the cats pajamas!

I agree, my best friend's sister has down syndrom. She understands WW for the most part, but I would like to see something for her, something easier.
Yoshi is offline Male Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #14
Banned
icecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wondericecube730 wows us all with wonder

View Post Originally Posted by Jennielou
I work with middle school boys with severe autism...they are on a pre-K level. Getting them to find any interest in it is the hard part. We got them to make some recipe foods with ingredients in the dock. "Find the apple...find the ..." I don't think I've found a game yet that they can play independently. They can help me garden, but I have to show them where to click when raking or harvesting. It depends on how low level your child is and how much interest they have in it and what ability they have in navigating the site/using the mouse and keyboard. Good luck!
Jennielou,

This is SO great what you are doing! You are so caring! A personal thanks from ice

icecube730 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #15
Autism Awareness

Electrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicness
Electrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicness

My child has PDD NOS (Autism) and he really loves his Webkinz. He takes two to school everyday with him. His teachers use them as a tool to convince him to finish tasks. The Webkinz are able to participate in activities with him.

He loves to go on Webkinz World but there are many limitations for him there. He does all the daily activities except the employment office because there is not a single thing in there that he can complete. We have a garden we tend everyday and he loves to harvest.

I have difficulty making him understand that if he spends all his money as soon as he gets it he cannot get the bigger more expensive items he wants. I will earn money for him but as soon as I leave his side it is all gone.

I would love to see some simpler jobs. More games for lower levels.

I must say though, Webkinz world is a great computer verion of Life Skills!

Way to go Webkinz.
Electrabuzz1 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #16
Diabetes Awareness
Webkinz :)

stephsmom98 dares to be greatstephsmom98 dares to be greatstephsmom98 dares to be great
stephsmom98 dares to be greatstephsmom98 dares to be greatstephsmom98 dares to be greatstephsmom98 dares to be greatstephsmom98 dares to be great

Thanks for the post. Yes, rep points for you. That would be nice if they could do that. My daughter has seizures and a lower IQ and she has some problems and doesn't understand money and just spends and buys. She does like to buy things so it would be great if they add more to the Wshop. She can do Hamburger Cook and Shoe Store Clerk though, but simple games and jobs would be a great idea.
stephsmom98 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #17
Webkinz :)
AveMaria is on a distinguished road

Love the idea! I have a family member who is very low functioning downs syndrome. He can not even turn on the computer, let alone do the games/activities. He has won some medals in the special olympics for running and wants toys that move, and run. Wind ups are his faves, and a christmas merry go round. He is going to be 20 years old this coming September. And, he can only say Ma Ma and DaDa and yeah- and shakes his head for no. Without going into too much detail, he is unable to do almost anything on his own. Webkinz may not even help him because he only likes bright flashing or moving toys. I have so much compassion for anyone with a child that has special needs after he came into my life. The nice part is he is very very loving. Hugging and smilling all the time. My little girl has given him 2 webbies he has never "adopted" but he has loved so much and takes them everywhere! The monkey, and the gorrilla. Can't recall the specific ones names but they are the only stuffed pets he will pick up and hold on to, and even hug! So, for him I don't think WW can do anything. But, because of him, I understand your concerns and will hope that something will work out for your child, and the many children who may benefit from some additional ways for them to feel like they are involved in WW and taking part in it themselves.
I would say buy the coloring book thing, and let your child play with that to experiment with colors. I bought one at the W shop for my child and printed off the uncolored pics for her to color and I asked her to use different mediums, and used different paper for her to work with.
For instance I used a watercolor paper for one, and it works on my printer. I also printed off ones on plain old construction paper and had her use marker and let her fill up spots with glitter glue and sequiens, and tissue paper (cut small squares and dip in glue, fold over a pencil on eraser side, and hold down on paper) truely, there is an endless bank of ideas for your child on the site if you really try to see things in their lense!
Another one she did I just loved was with waxy pastel pencils. You can smudge those! She loved blending the colors where she wanted to.
She does not have any special needs, but she is a young child. I hope this helps with ideas.
You will be your child's guide and do just fine because it is evident you love your child so much.
Thank you for such a positive thought that has encouraged me to work harder to make this a experience that is more fun for my child each day.
AveMaria is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:17 AM   #18
Izzi Stormheart
Gifted

princesstiara is the cats pajamas!princesstiara is the cats pajamas!princesstiara is the cats pajamas!princesstiara is the cats pajamas!princesstiara is the cats pajamas!princesstiara is the cats pajamas!

Special needs, you know I think it depends on the kids, i know a couple of moms on here that have autistic kids and they are very successful playing on webkinz, they can relate to the online pets.

Although I think there are alot of things for younger kids to do, you are rightm it would be nice to have some easier thing to do too.

Some where I heard a rumor they are working on a sister site for younger kids.....

I think you have just created the thread you wanted!

Last edited by princesstiara; 10-25-2008 at 03:20 AM..
princesstiara is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #19
SewToby
Gift Guru

LittleDog knows the way
LittleDog knows the wayLittleDog knows the wayLittleDog knows the way

ElectricBuzz1, I use webkinz for kids on the spectrum and other disabilities as a teaching tool and for rewards. I find the games without a time limitation to be the best...Tile Towers - the easier version is great for visual discrimination and scanning. Wacky Zingoz/Where's Wacky is fun because it is a short game, and Wacky is just too darn cute. Lunch letters is also good for keyboarding skills.

Probably the easiest job is fence painting or Shoe Store Clerk...because alot of kids have pretty good visual memory (almost all have better abilities then mine!) I always go into my school accts. at home and play games to build up KC because it is just so hard to earn enough to get the kids the items they want; when they can only earn 2-3kc a game. Also I agree with the person who said that you need to help them at the W shop...as I have had some kids inadvertantly buy multiples of an item because they tend to impulsively "overclick.'

I did write Ganz at one point and asked if there was anyway possible to override the time limitations for a school acct. - as some of the kids I work with that are physically but not cognitively challenged have access issues and are delayed motorically. They did respond...but said they couldn't do it, but wished me luck. I wish that it could be encorporated in their W-Cares program.
LittleDog is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
Autism Awareness

Electrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicness
Electrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicnessElectrabuzz1 is epic beyond epicness

Thanks!!!! I am hearing some really great ideas. The idea of a sister site for younger kids is encouraging. That would be great. I hope that it pans out.

I also think the idea of calling and asking them to suspend the time limitations for school accounts was a sound idea, too bad they did not feel it was possible.

My son likes the "Where's Wacky" game but unfortunately it just moves too quickly for him. By the time he has processed the information and is ready to really start matching time is up. This leads to much frustration for him.

As far as monitoring him in the W-Shop, in a perfect world that would be wonderful but I need him to have some independence in WW so I can get some things done. I will just keep talking to him about saving for bigger things and hopefully eventually he will catch on.

This is great folks, let's keep the discussion going.

Thanks,

Click the image to open in full size.
Electrabuzz1 is offline Female Reply With Quote

Tags
all children are special!, autism is a gift, autism is normal, coolio101 waz here!!!, eclipsestrike, electrabuzz1 rocks!, gillian's sis has autism, good topic, great info!-hayley, great thread!, great thread! penny lane, hollister:]was here, kay's favorites tag, loveourkids!, n.i.c.k. j.o.n.a.s<3<3<3, pppoker face, s.m.o.p.h.i.e, special needs&webkinz, support differences, thank you buzz ♥, usernames!, webkinz4specialneeds, yo-yo-yoshi, ♥ jesus 4eva! ~hpf, ♥autism is special♥