Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's All About The Webkinz! > Our Members' Creations > Creative Writing

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Don't get knarky wit
Webkinz :)

Lyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clown

Default Writers Checklist! Make Sure You Have All The Qualities Of a Great Writer Here!

Hey! *I'm not sure if there's another one of these, so sorry if there is!*

Well this is for all of those writers to make sure that you're really putting a great story out there, one that catches the readers eye and makes them come back for more! Here's what you need to do in order to be a great writer forever and always!!

1) Make it descriptive. Instead of 'We ran to the house', put 'We ran as fast as lightning to the old house trying not to be seen.' It gives more description so the reader can picture the characters running to the old or new house, or whatever you're writing about.

2) Try to use the 5-2-2 Method in every chapter! 5 adjectives, 2 adverbs and 2 similes! It might seem hard, but as you go on, you'll be able to get into your story, and so will the reader. You don't have to use this method, but it helps the reader to again picture what's going on instead of reading it and not getting a clue of what's happening.

3) Cliffhangers, cliffhangers, cliffhangers! They are a good thing to put in your story! They make the reader want to come back to your story to see what happens next! Instead of saying 'The monster jumped out and ate us all', write 'The monster jumped out and I gasped in terror as it.....' See how it would make you wonder what the monster does and you would have to continuously come back? That's what you want! The more cliffhangers, the better!

4) Revise your chapters! Before you post your next chapter, try re-reading it once or twice to make sure it says what you want it to say. Also you can check for spelling mistakes while doing this!

5) Make it what you want it to be! If you want a house to fall down on the main character, then make it happen! Don't hold back! Get lost in your ideas and have fun with it, don't worry what other people might say to criticize it!

6) Remember that constructive criticism is okay! If someone suggests something that might make your story better, take it all into consideration! It doesn't mean you have to use the advice, see what it would change in the story if you did slightly change something. Just don't start a fight. The person isn't controlling your story, their just giving advice to make it better. If you're overwhelmed in the criticism, then calmly ask the people/person to stop, but don't get in a fight over a silly comment!

7) Know when to finish your story. Even if your story is going very well, eventually people might get tired of reading it, if it gets monotonous or just plain long. You would want to make your chapters longer than just a few sentences because it saves time for you and less chapters, so you can possibly add more if you think it's necessary.

8 ) Make an outline before you write! If you plan ahead how the chapter will go, it'll be a lot easier for you to write, and the reader to read. If you aimlessly put a few words together, or don't finish a sentence when you were meaning to, it'll make it hard for the reader to comprehend. Planning the chapter will be easy for you so when you've thought of ideas and put them together, you can revise them after you write it, then you can type it easily. Keep in mind that you can change what you've written if you don't like it, this will just help make you more organized. Keep in mind all this is just a suggestion, you can use an outline if you want or not.

9)
HAVE FUN! It's your story! Get lost in your ideas! It's your time to express yourself in writing!! Don't hold back! Get your name out there and be known to all of WI that you know how to write a story, and a great story that people would love to read!! If you get your name out there, you'll get more people to read your story, and make practically be popular!

10) Make fun, creative titles! If you make interesting and creative titles to your stories, it'll catch the reader's eye and wonder "I wonder what this is about!" and read it, therefore giving you more readers! And if they like it they will most likely come back and/or tell their friends!

11) (thanks, cah117!) Use punctuation! Nobody likes a story that has run-on sentences or no punctuation! Without it, how are we supposed to know when somebody's talking, or even when a sentence ends? Use quoation mark (") when a person is talking, use commas (,) to join sentences, and obviously, put periods (.) at the end of a sentence, always! If you're asking a question, write a question mark (?) and well..you should know this. Instead of ''I ran to the store to get bagels pizza and butter there was none there though'', this would be proper: 'I ran to the store to get bagels, pizza, and butter. There was none there,though.' Good puntuation shows your smart and know where to put what!

12) Get your name out there! Try advertising in your signature. It'll let random people see that you've created a story and it might have them interested so they would start reading, and hey! The more readers, the more popular you and your stories are, and the more you'll be known to WI!! And, if you get positive feedback, it'll most likely inspire you to continue making stories which is a great thing to get your mind going every once in a while.

13) (thanks rosha11!) Don't rush your writing; write when you want to! If you feel rushed or stressed, you usually won't write as best as you could! Great writer's take their time and don't let anybody rush them!

Now, you can make a plan to improve your writing skills! If you do this, I guarantee you will be a successful writer! It works for me and my stories, it will work for you, too!

‚ô•Lyssie

Last edited by Lyssa45; 11-20-2009 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Lyssa45 is offline Female Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
MAST is not
Gifted

xnewmsx is a splendid one to beholdxnewmsx is a splendid one to beholdxnewmsx is a splendid one to beholdxnewmsx is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Writers Checklist! Make Sure You Have All The Qualities Of a Great Writer Here!

OOh! Cool thread, Lyss. 5-2-2 method? Neverheardofit. Maybe I'll try it out!
xnewmsx is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Don't get knarky wit

Lyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clownLyssa45 is cool as a bunny clown

Default Re: Writers Checklist! Make Sure You Have All The Qualities Of a Great Writer Here!

Thanks!
Oh really? Haha you should!! It'll make your writing more descriptive!

---------- Lyssa45 added 49 Minutes and 33 Seconds later ----------

Anybody wanna improve their writing?!!

---------- Lyssa45 added 149 Minutes and 15 Seconds later ----------

Anybody? Please? I know your reading this, you're just not posting so please please post even if it's to say good thread!

Last edited by Lyssa45; 11-25-2008 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
GymnastGirl724

Hey Lyssa! This is GREAT! You might even get a sticky! If you wanna try for a sticky, just add more tips, that'd be so cool!

The 5-2-2 method is new to me, but I think I'll try! Thanks, Lyss!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
Don't get knarky wit

View Post Originally Posted by GymnastGirl724
Hey Lyssa! This is GREAT! You might even get a sticky! If you wanna try for a sticky, just add more tips, that'd be so cool!

The 5-2-2 method is new to me, but I think I'll try! Thanks, Lyss!
Thanks Madie!
A whaty? Haha! What's a sticky?

Oh, I've known the 5-2-2 method for like my whole life!!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
MAST is not
Gifted

xnewmsx is a splendid one to beholdxnewmsx is a splendid one to beholdxnewmsx is a splendid one to beholdxnewmsx is a splendid one to behold

A sticky is one of the threads the mods have in the blue ink. Some members' threads are promoted to stickies if they're really helpful to a large number of peoples and whatnot.
xnewmsx is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Don't get knarky wit

Oh cool...you think I should add more stuff then?? But what should I add...hmm...
I added like...4 more pieces of advice, which brings it up to an even 10

---------- Lyssa45 added 136 Minutes and 55 Seconds later ----------

Come on 43 views and 6 replies? Post if this helps you any!!

Last edited by Lyssa45; 11-25-2008 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Chinese people are
Gifted

yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!yingxi is the bees knees!

Thanks for the tips Lyssie!!!
yingxi is offline Female Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
pup678

OMG!!
This is G-R-E-A-T!!
lol, I'll use it on all of my stories I EVER write.
I like the 5-2-2 method! LOL, never hear of it
but it sounds really helpfull!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Don't get knarky wit

View Post Originally Posted by yingxi
Thanks for the tips Lyssie!!!
Your welcome!!

---------- Lyssa45 added 1 Minutes and 25 Seconds later ----------

View Post Originally Posted by pup678
OMG!!
This is G-R-E-A-T!!
lol, I'll use it on all of my stories I EVER write.
I like the 5-2-2 method! LOL, never hear of it
but it sounds really helpfull!
Thank you! I guarantee it'll make your stories a lot better!
Wow, a lot of people haven't heard of the 5-2-2 method..

Last edited by Lyssa45; 11-26-2008 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Tags
c h e e r i o, charis99, dudeeee kesha wuz here!, i'm awesome!, i'm broken inside d:, owl city, random to the extreme, writers forever!, you are beautiful(:, ~write what you love!