Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > It's All About The Webkinz! > Our Members' Creations > Creative Writing

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
You wish you were
Gifted

KittyKat913 is a jewel in the roughKittyKat913 is a jewel in the rough

Default All The World's a Stage... (Chapter Two added, 10/12/10)

Being the humorous tale of the daily struggles and triumphs of a seventeen year-old theatre actress, written using memoirs, notes, 'photographs' and 'video'.

--Note: I'm not very reliable updater, especially since I gave up on Webkinz seven months ago and am consequently hardly ever on this site. But I will try, I promise!

I love constructive criticism. Please, go wild!

Chapter One

“Props! Props! I need Titania’s props!”

“Bottom to makeup! Bottom to makeup!”

“Half an hour till opening! HALF AN HOUR TILL OPENING!”

Chaos. Pandemonium.

Theatre.

This is my element.

“Doing alright, Josie?” Cecilia passed me, her dark hair half done up, on her way to makeup. I could tell she was nervous by the way her left hand kept twitching. And she wasn’t alone. Everyone was nervous. The theatre was full, and we had a three-hour show ahead of us.

“When am I not?” I replied over the costume-assistant’s shoulder with a grin. I was nervous too, and Cilia knew. She raised an eye-brow at me. “Hey, tell anybody who doesn’t know, the cast’s all meeting at Starbucks afterward.” I changed the subject. “If I don’t see you again soon, break a leg out there!”

Cecilia’s nervous grin was hard to see under the harsh light. “You too. See you later!”

The costume-assistant (Mary or Molly or something like that) finally finished adjusting my light blue Grecian gown and sent me on my way. “You look fabulous,” she assured, before hollering to the dressing rooms and backstage at large, “I need Hermia! Hermia to costumes!”

“FIVE MINUTES TO OPENING!”

Alright. I told myself, breathing deeply in and out. Hair’s done. Makeup’s done. Costume, gorgeous, if I do say so myself. Time to get into character.

Okay. All this noise, and the lights, and the smell of makeup and Altoids and backstage, it’s all a room. And now I’m closing the door, and locking the door, and I can’t hear it anymore. And now I’m turning around, and now I’m sitting down against a plain white wall, and now… and now I’m not a seventeen year old San Franciscan, but a middle-class Greek girl who is sometimes jealous of her best friend, who does things without thinking them through, who whines almost constantly, and curses because she can, and is head over heels for a guy who prefers her friend, but she’ll do anything to get him to love her, because she’s so desperate…

The experience is surreal. If you asked me to explain it to you, I couldn’t. The curtains open. The lights dazzle. The actors, well, act. Act awesomely, at that. The whole cast is amazing. I love them all.

And here’s my cue... “Keep promise, love. Look, here comes Helena.”

And come I do. I tear onto the stage. And I act my socks off. And so does the rest of the cast, and the applause at exits rings in my ears. And after three acts, it’s intermission. I can hear the thunderous clapping, and that amazing feeling takes over, like I’m floating.

Backstage is, if anything, crazier than before. There are actors downing water by the bottle, and Titania is feverishly eating Chinese food; we actors take our breaks where we can get them. And having low-blood sugar on stage? Nightmare. The wafting smell of lo mein mixes oddly with the lingering smell of theatre makeup.

“OH MY GOD!” Cecilia flies at me and hugs me tight. “Josie, you’re doing AMAZING! How about me, am I doing okay?” Cecilia has been in more shows than Billy Mays has done Oxi-Clean commercials, but she still gets insanely nervous, even though she’s one of the most terrific actresses I’ve ever seen.

“Greatest Hippolyta ever.” I assure her. “You’re like Wonder Woman, but classier.”

She giggles. A quick make-up touch up, a bathroom break, some more socializing with my cast buddies, and then “PLACES!”.

The rest of the night is an insane, happy, tiring blur. And let me tell you, there is nothing more rewarding than your curtain call on opening night, after six months of work, tears, laughing, mess-ups, and meltdowns.

You walk out there, and you take your bow, and you hear all those people clapping and cheering for you alone, right then, and your grin outshines the stage lights, and then you all hold hands and the crew runs out and bows and the curtains close and the last sound is people cheering wildly.

And behind the curtain, I am sweaty and hungry and exhausted, and my throat hurts from projecting my voice, and my face is caked with the gross presence of make-up, and my ears are ringing from the tumultuous sound of the crowd, and every time I blink I see white spots from the lights, and it’s the best feeling in the world.

Except perhaps for the feeling right after that, when the whole cast screams hoarsely and congregates into a tangled hug, and then we pull the crew in, and then we mob the director, and the whole company is just standing backstage, hugging and celebrating, long after the audience has left to go home.

That’s the best introduction I could give you to my life, so it’s funny that it barely covers me at all. I’m Josie Christensen, I’m seventeen. I was a regular San Francisco resident turned actress, currently playing Helena in a Midsummer Night’s Dream. I love acting and performing, every bit of it. I also love art and music, I can’t cook, I’m horrible at math, and I’m addicted to Earl Grey lattes. At some point, I can’t remember when, I thought I should start chronicling my theatre experiences, all the rehearsals and auditions and opening nights, and continuous performances after opening nights. To which I have been highly unfaithful. But whatever, I plan to get better at doing all that, because I’ve got one more year of high school, and then it’s to Julliard I go! Or perhaps Broadway. Maybe movies. And someday I’m going to look back at all this, and smile and remember the good times.

Or at least so my mom says.

So here, in no particular order (otherwise known as a highly disorganized mess), through memoirs, notes from cast mates, photographs, and video tapes, with notes from me at the top to hopefully prevent anyone who feels like reading this (i.e., the older me) being hopelessly confused, is the written/visual documentation of the start of my career and the beginning of the rest of my life!

Oh, stop laughing, Older Me. I (you?) am young and full of cheesy lines.

Chapter Two

Auditions

‘Sup, Josie here! I mean, who else would it be? But anyway. Sooooo. I thought it would be best to attempt to organize this mess into chronological order, starting with my audition. I managed to procure the tape of my audition through several desperate and challenging tasks (basically, I paid the director five dollars) and have taped it below. And I wrote a memoir thing, for your reading pleasure. Enjoy. If you like reading, and acting, and running into walls. If not, I recommend you go read something about ponies.

Memoir

“Josie, c’mere.”

“What was that, mom?” I ask, spinning around in the living room of my apartment. Whoa, dizzy.

“Come here!” My mom commands. She’s absently stirring some kind of delicious smelling concoction and reading an electronic newspaper on her laptop.

“What?” I repeat, hitting a few walls in the attempt to get my head on right.

“Look, right there.” She points her spoon at the screen. The blindingly virtual white page is covered in advertisements.

“‘Hiring truck drivers? Call Bob?’ Mom, I can’t even drive.” I sigh. My mom is an awesome cook (unlike me) and part of a fancy restaurant staff, but she can be so out of it sometimes.

“Not THAT!” she says impatiently, adding salt to her sauce. “The one below that.”

“‘Theatre Auditions, A Midsummer Night’s Dream. San Francisco Professional Theatre Troupe. No Experience Necessary.’” The ad reads. Like all theatres, there’s a clip art of Comedy and Tragedy at the bottom. “A professional acting audition? I dunno, Mom.”

“Come on, you’d be perfect for that! Aren’t you always acting at home?”

“That’s not acting! That’s me pretending, because I haven’t grown up since I was, like, six!” Which, sadly, is kind of true. Luckily, my mom can act six sometimes too, so it all works out.

Mom raises her eyebrow at me in that “Do you hear what you’re saying? Pfft, stupid.” kind of way she’s specialized.

“Okay, so maybe they’re kind of the same thing, but still! Next you’re going to mention my ‘projecting skills’ or my ‘dramatic monologue voice’!”

The eyebrow goes higher.

“FINE! I’ll audition! Geez!”

I hate it when my mom wins arguments without even speaking.

[Below this there is a DVD taped to the page.]

[When played:

Man 1: Rolling, audition seven six, Josie Cristensen.

A girl wearing bright yellow jeans and combat boots is standing there fidgeting. She tugs on her long brown ponytail.

Josie: So… I just… start?

Casting Director: Yes. Whenever you’re ready. [Opens a notepad]

Josie: Okay… [clears throat nervously]

[Loudly and clearly] How happy some o'er other some can be!
Through Athens I am thought as fair as she.
But what of that? Demetrius thinks not so…

[Continues with Helena’s monologue as Casting Director makes notes. He looks faintly impressed.]

Josie: [finishing monologue] But herein mean I to enrich my pain,
To have his sight thither and back again.

[Casting Director continues making notes]

Josie: [nervously] Should I go now?

Casting Director: [not looking up] You left your name and number, correct?

Josie: Yes.

Casting Director: You may go. Thank you.

Exit Josie, running from the room.

Screen turns black.

So, that was my audition.

It doesn’t seem like much, but that’s because you weren’t there. Unless it’s myself reading this. In which case, you were.

Anyway, I was so nervous. I’d hardly slept at all the night before and consequently had to down one and half Earl Grey lattes on the bus, which made me feel kind of sick. And on the bus I also decided the outfit I picked out was hideous. Not the greatest bus ride I’ve ever had. And then I was almost late, which I’m sure didn’t make a good impression.

So, the whole time I kind of wanted to scream. But doing the monologue was a whole new experience. It felt so natural, and it didn’t really matter that there were judges there or that this could determine my entire future. It was just me, my character, and the words. And then I finished, and the nervousness came back, which stunk.

And yes, I really did flee from the room at a sprint. Looking back, that probably could’ve been avoided.

Ah, well. What’s life without a few humiliations and terrifying auditions? Probably a lot nicer, that’s for sure.

-- Note on Chapter Two: the Italics bit was meant to be written like a script. It kind of failed, but whatever.
--I hope you enjoyed it! Review and I will love you forever!

Last edited by KittyKat913; 10-12-2010 at 02:50 PM..
KittyKat913 is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
hyyy my emotions ugh
Webkinz :)

CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!

Default Re: All The World's a Stage...

This is amazing! You are a stunning writer, a rare find in a place like this. I enjoy your use of words; your vocabulary is wonderful. I must say, I also am loving the topic, as I foster a love of theater myself (However, I have never been able to truly participate in this spectacular art, only act in a few nonprofessional children's theatre works. I am not old enough to even qualify for the local theater group, and if I did, I doubt I'd get a lead.). Do you write this from a personal experience? It seems like you did; you capture every detail of backstage life.
CocoaGirl96 is offline Female
Old 09-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
You wish you were
Gifted

View Post Originally Posted by CocoaGirl96
This is amazing! You are a stunning writer, a rare find in a place like this. I enjoy your use of words; your vocabulary is wonderful. I must say, I also am loving the topic, as I foster a love of theater myself (However, I have never been able to truly participate in this spectacular art, only act in a few nonprofessional children's theatre works. I am not old enough to even qualify for the local theater group, and if I did, I doubt I'd get a lead.). Do you write this from a personal experience? It seems like you did; you capture every detail of backstage life.
Wow, thanks!

I do write from personal experience, although I've had to change several details so WI doesn't eat me.

I AM currently in a production of a Midsummer Night's Dream, but I, sadly, didn't score the role of Helena. I got Hippolyta instead, who is awesome, but still. The director said the only reason I didn't get a lead was that they chose the male leads first and I was too tall for both of them. So putting my "character" as Helena instead is kind of my revenge, haha. ;]

Thanks so much for your kind comment!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
You wish you were
Gifted

I'm working on a new chapter about Julia's audition right now. And, oddly enough, I'm thinking about changing her name to Josie. Thoughts, anyone? I doubt it, considering only one person has commented (I did appreciate that). But whatever.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
hyyy my emotions ugh

CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!CocoaGirl96 is the bees knees!

I can't wait until your next chapter! It sounds like it will be very interesting.

Actually, I like both names, so I guess I won't be much help in that respect. If you want to change it, and if that would help you enjoy writing the story more, then go ahead. The nice thing about places like this is you can do what you want with the story and just experiment; no one knows who you are in real life, so no one can judge you in real life.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Call Me Sarah!

millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!millie12378956 is the bees knees!

Great story! I'll definitly check back later!
millie12378956 is offline Female
Old 09-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
You wish you were
Gifted

View Post Originally Posted by CocoaGirl96
I can't wait until your next chapter! It sounds like it will be very interesting.

Actually, I like both names, so I guess I won't be much help in that respect. If you want to change it, and if that would help you enjoy writing the story more, then go ahead. The nice thing about places like this is you can do what you want with the story and just experiment; no one knows who you are in real life, so no one can judge you in real life.
That's a valid point.

Thanks for you advice; I think I will change it. I think Josie's really cute, and Julia is way overused.

View Post Originally Posted by millie12378956
Great story! I'll definitly check back later!
Thank you! I appreciate your comment. :]
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
You wish you were
Gifted

Sorry no new chapter, been super busy at rehearsal. My show's in a few weeks, so we're working overtime.

It'll be up soon, I promise!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
hyyy my emotions ugh

Can't wait!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Call me Aimee
Gifted

RainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roostRainbowSherbert rules the roost

Ooh i love it!! Your a great author! Haha, i love acting as well as you and your character. My biggest role yet was in Pinocchio as, Pinocchio! lol, i was a boy But pack to topic, i cant wait for more!!
RainbowSherbert is offline Female
Closed