Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Contests & Click-to-Wins

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #141
PEEP!
Gift Guru

adrkmfdm is the epitome of excellenceadrkmfdm is the epitome of excellence
adrkmfdm is the epitome of excellenceadrkmfdm is the epitome of excellenceadrkmfdm is the epitome of excellenceadrkmfdm is the epitome of excellenceadrkmfdm is the epitome of excellenceadrkmfdm is the epitome of excellenceadrkmfdm is the epitome of excellenceadrkmfdm is the epitome of excellenceadrkmfdm is the epitome of excellenceadrkmfdm is the epitome of excellence

Default Re: Official Earth Day Contest -- Win a Signature Panda or Insider Insider Membership -- Closes April 29th, midnight PST!

My room is made as environmentally friendly as possible.

First the floors are made out of bamboo. This wood is very hardy and comparable to hardwood. Except a crop of bamboo can be grown in only 7 years. The use of these floor greatly reduces deforestation.

The walls are painted in a beautiful green strip. This is to remind everyone how "green" the room is. It is also painted in VOC free paint. This greatly reduces the amount of indoor air pollution in our room.

All the furniture in the room has been given a new life and saved from the landfill. The bamboo bed with its organic, fire protectant free mattress and organic made linens is environmentally friendly. The cotton of the linens and materials from the mattress are made without the use of chemicals.

The sofas and chair were also salvaged. They were originally locally made from our friends the frogs. This not only supports our local economy but also saves tons of CO2 from not having to be shipped for hundreds of miles. The salvaged coffee table is also made from bamboo.

The most important thing about the room is the fact that the whole south side of the room is covered with large windows. (can't see from angle of room). This will allow loads of light into the room and provide solar heating in the winter. Deciduous trees are planted outside. This will help to shade the room in the summer and keep it cool.

There are 4 lights in the room. These have LED lights. The LED use less energy than flourescent lights, don't contain mercury and last for years. They are also on a timer. So, if you leave and forget to turn off the lights they turn off automatically.

The kitchen chairs and table are made from recycled stainless steel. The plastic seat is made from all recycled plastic. The glass top is also salvage material.

The room is decorated with organically grown potted plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpgmy room.jpg (47.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by adrkmfdm; 04-29-2009 at 09:47 AM..
adrkmfdm is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #142
Honored to be a

blueyes1113 knows the way
blueyes1113 knows the wayblueyes1113 knows the wayblueyes1113 knows the way

Default Re: Official Earth Day Contest -- Win a Signature Panda or Insider Insider Membership -- Closes April 29th, midnight PST!

I would like to enter Chomper's Camp, We went green by sleeping in his tent, and fishing for his food He also uses no electricity, he uses tiki torches and planted all the trees to help his enviroment

Click the image to open in full size.
blueyes1113 is offline Female
Old 04-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #143
Webkinz :)
nae23 is an unknown quantity at this point

the room i made is conservitory wall paper and green flooring and i have two bamboo trees two opposet corners and four earth tables, a green chair and a red, green and yellow light. and a lily pad water bed with a jar o flies for light. thing thanks for your time!!!!:cs::husky::gr::bdog::cs:

Last edited by nae23; 04-29-2009 at 10:29 AM..
Old 04-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #144
Fuzzy Lops Rule!

willkinskins is a name known to allwillkinskins is a name known to allwillkinskins is a name known to all

MY ENTRY! w/ MY PETS : STRAWBERRY, ZOEY, BLANCHE, & ATHENA!
willkinskins is offline Male
Old 04-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #145
Graphic Making
Gift Guru

tinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talenttinkrulz has lots of talent

Wow! Some of these entries are amazing! Here is my "Camp Triple R" room...

Here at Camp Triple R, we always make sure to Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle, every day! In the bottom right corner, you can see SuLin getting some sunshine and relaxing in it's warmth.
In the top right corner, is the tulip garden, where we use solar powered lights, made completely from recycled materials. In the middle of the back wall, you see a blackboard with all of the latest "save energy" tips. The spider plants make a cute decoration right next to it. Next, in the top left corner, are some more of the solar lights, this time helping a few of the cactus to grow. In the bottom left of the room, we have our plant orchid. The oranges are always ripe, and the other plant's are perfect to keep fresh oxygen in the room.
There are no televisions or computers, because my pet's want to save as much energy as they can. All of the lights are solar-powered, and the couches are made out of special earth friendly fabrics.
I hope you liked it! Good luck to all of the entrants!♥
tinkrulz is offline Female
Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #146

lauramk1206 is an unknown quantity at this point

Professor Einstein von Monkeybottom has tirelessly dedicated his life's work to finding a way to save the word from global warming. His first great invention was the "Ice Place". A fireplace that gives out an icey cold flame. It successfully keeps the whole house cool during the summer without any electricity. After inventing that he travelled across the world, in his hot air balloon made entirely of leaves and recycled materials, to Antarctica to rescue Frosta, a lonely little snowgirl suffering greatly from the effects of global warming. He promised to allow her to sit in front of his "ice place" as much as she'd like until he figured out more ways to help. On their way back they spotted Tiki, a poor little otter trying desperately to swim through the slime and sludge that his river had become. Professor Einstein rescued him as well and brought him back to his home. He built Tiki a personal pool with a state of the art filter (made of recycled materials) that automatically cleans all trash and toxins out. He also promised to let Tiki stay there until he could find a way to attach the filter to larger bodies of water. The 3 enviromentalists soon became friends and regularly gave each other diffrent types of plants as gifts of appreciation (and to help the oxygen flow of the room!). Their favorite thing to do together is to sit and watch the professors big screen, steam powered T.V. while eating organic, homegrown treats out of the electricity free ice box and drinking water from their indoor well. When night arrives professor works to the light of his solar powered lamps while sitting on his chair made of feathers and leaves. Frosta sleeps on her sunflower bed and Tiki on his hammock made of banana peels.
lauramk1206 is offline Female
Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #147
Gift Guru

K1234 has a reputation beyond reputeK1234 has a reputation beyond reputeK1234 has a reputation beyond reputeK1234 has a reputation beyond reputeK1234 has a reputation beyond reputeK1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Donation Award 

Going Back to Nature
My Webkinz decided the best way to be environmentally friendly would be to live within natural surroundings. Barry my Bear search all over to find this perfect spot of heaven. There was even a natural rock formation, with some smoothing out was made into his bed. In the woods they found they made a plan and only cut down the trees needed build something. They used the wood to build the outhouse (can’t live without one of those ). They used some more wood to build a trough bath tub. And the biggest addition was building all the windmills to power the lamp post. The windmills also power the under ground filtration system for the used water from the tub. The tub gets its water from the stream and the windmills help pump it into the tub better.
There is a sundial so everyone knows what time it is. And they catch fireflies for the bedside lamp at night. The garden provides them with plenty of fruits and vegetables. The tractor used for the garden is run by electricity, which is provided by the windmills. If my webbies need to take a trip into town for “extra” supplies they have to wait for a windy day. They hop in the naturally made hot air balloon and float down to town.

I hope you like my room...........K
K1234 is offline Female
Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #148
Too-Wit Too-Woo
Gift Guru

jazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talentjazzinmarch has lots of talent

This is what I call: A Day in The Life... how to be green every day!
I will break down how each pet in the house is doing their part to be "green".

Jasper, the Spotted Frog is in the left corner ready to help take the clothes out of the washer. He's ready for the cool chill of the clothes because they were washed in cold water, but he doesn't mind so much. His job is to hang them to dry on the green line, instead of using the dryer.

Land Ho, the Parakeet, is counting the money in the piggy bank, because being green can also save you money!

Coffee, the Cocker Spaniel, is sorting items to go into the recycling boxes. In the green counter is where we keep the compost to go out to the garden. It can get pretty stinky, but if Coffee empties it every day, then it's not too bad.

Hubba Bubba, the Bubblegumasaurus, is ready to hop on his skateboard to go to the library! It's good exercise and is better than taking the car.

Mud Puddle, the Pig, is cuddled up in her bamboo bed. Bamboo is a renewable resource, so Mud Puddle can have sweet dreams about doing her part on this day.

Maple Donut, the Golden Retriever, and Sarah, the Panda, are ready to read their book, "How to Grow Your Own Food". It's fun choosing which vegetables to plant and locally grown food always tastes better anyway!

Finally, in the centre of the room, are Jazz and Lil Jazz, the Dalmatians. They have finished playing in Webkinz World and have shut the computer and tv off to have an old-fashioned game of checkers. I think Lil Jazz is going to win this round!

As for the rest of the room... here's what helps make it green.
The pets were renovating anyway, so they opted for bamboo flooring, before mentioned as a renewable resource. The carpets were a collective project they worked on together - the art of braiding a rug! They learned at a Pioneer Village how to take old scraps of your clothes or spare fabric and braid it nice and tight, sew it together to make welcome mats. They were surprised how colourful they turned out and felt so much pride over their hard work!
The pets leave the curtains open to use the natural sunlight as long as possible before turning on the lamps. They haven't switched to energy-saving bulbs yet, because they are still considering whether or not to buy them because a lot of them contain mercury. They will continue to do some research on it, but for now, they just work at making sure they turn the lamps off before leaving a room.
A lot of the furniture was bought at thrift stores, a great method of recycling things that aren't needed by others. The furniture and the walls were painted using paint they bought at their local home building centre. The centre recovers paint and recycles it; the pets felt so happy to have recycled paint, knowing it wasn't improperly disposed of in the sewage system!
Last, but not least, the pets are all wearing warm clothes and slippers because they have turned off the furnace for the season, and though there might be some chilly days, an extra layer of clothing is sometimes all that is needed to stay comfortably warm.

And that's a Day in the Life of keeping Green!
Attached Images
File Type: jpggreenday.jpg (173.1 KB, 14 views)
jazzinmarch is offline Female
Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #149
dusangpyong
Gift Guru

dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!dusangpyong is not just visiting!

This is Cassanova the Bear's Earth Day Room and he is here to give you a tour.
Hi. I'm Cass. I'm a very environmentally conscious bear and I believe we should all try to live as Earth-friendly as possible. If you will notice the flooring in my room, you will see that it is bamboo. Bamboo is a fast growing grass, not a wood as some believe, that is used to create a very eco-friendly flooring. Not only is it eco-friendly due to being farmed in a sustainable manner, but it is also very durable, which means it won't have to be replaced as often as something less durable, such as carpet. The paint on the walls (I painted them myself) is VOC-Free paint. VOC-Free means that it doesn't contain Volatile Organic Compounds, which contribute to indoor air pollution. Most people realize that indoor air is actually more polluted than outdoor air, but many do not realize that a major indoor air pollutant is paint and other finishes, such as varnish, so we should strive to use Low or Zero VOC paints and finishes whenever possible. It isn't just for the health of the planet, but for our own health as well. *gets of (recycled) soapbox*
All of the cloth used in this room, such as the couch covering, curtains and bed blanket, are certified organic cotton. Organic products are farmed in ways that are friendlier to the Earth by not using pesticides and fertilizers that have harmful ingredients that poison rivers and lakes when they run off the fields.
There is some wood and rocks in this room, as you can see. They are all reclaimed pieces from other items or buildings that were being demolished or disposed of in some way. This is one of the three Rs of Earth friendliness...Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Even the Giant Feather Chair was made from a feather shed from a giant bird during its normal molting cycle, causing no harm to the bird or the environment.
The Grandfather Clock is made from reclaimed wood and is powered by a traditional pulley system, so there is no electricity wasted on running the clock. Grandfather clocks use a system of weights and pulleys to keep the pendulum moving and keep time. It's a complicated set of gears that simple bears like me just don't get. All I know is that I'm not using anything other than some manual labor to make the clock keep time.
The appliances in the kitchen and the bathroom toilet are the only new items in the room. The appliances are the latest in Energy Star rated energy efficient stoves and fridges. The toilet is a low flow toilet, which means it uses much less water to flush than toilets of the past since they only use a max of 1.6 gallons per flush.
The sinks and tub are equipped with low flow faucets and a low flow showerhead to help conserve water.
Though you can't see it, there are solar panels on the roof to provide electricity for the room. The water used in this room is collected on the roof and diverted into a solar hot water heater to provide hot water for showers, washing dishes, whatever a bear might need to do.
The rugs in the kitchen are made from wool kindly provided by another member of our webkinz family, a sheep. Baabette very kindly shears herself and spins the wool into yarn. Then she uses the yarn to create beautiful clothing and accessories for the home. She is very talented and since there is no transportation involved, this is the "greenest of the green" ways to get clothing and other items.
Speaking of transportation, I hope you noticed my scooter. This is the most economical way to get around WW other than your own four paws. My scooter runs on electricity (provided by the solar panels on the roof), so it is a "zero emissions" method of travel. It is the next best thing to walking, and that is only because exercise is good for you.
The last thing I want to mention is that I keep plants around not only to remind me to strive to be "green", but also to improve indoor air quality and provide me with a nice hobby.
Thank you for looking at my room and listening to one bear who wants to make the world a better place.
dusangpyong is offline Female
Old 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #150
purpleska

softballska is on a distinguished road

Smile Re: Official Earth Day Contest -- Win a Signature Panda or Insider Insider Membership -- Closes April 29th, midnight PST!

My "green" room is eco friendly for many reasons!

First of all, I have windows. During the day, these windows let in a nice light instead of using electricity powered lamps. If it is night time and yo cant see, I have a Firefly powered lantern next to the dresser. The windows can also be used to control temperatures. For example, on warmer days that it is breezy outside, you can open the windows for some fresh air. On cooler days, you can close the windows and put on a sweater located in the dresser.

Secondly, there are fun things to do in this room so you dont need to use electricity to watch tv, or listen to music. You can play go fish with a friend, or read.

I also have included a blue wagon in this room, It doesnt need to be gas powered so you can drive around and be eco friendly at the same time.

The doormats are so if your feet are dirty when you come from outside, you can wipe them off on the mats, this way you dont need to run a vacuum or use water to mop.

Finally there are flowers both decorating and making the room smell sweet. You dont have to spend money or pollute the air with air fresheners when you have flowers!!! When the flowers get bigger, we plant them outside in our garden so they can live comfortably!

That is why my "green" room is eco friendly! Hope you like it!!!

Happy Earth Day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpgEco Friendly Room.JPG (47.5 KB, 20 views)
Closed

Tags
a rockhead was here, awesome contest!, awesome!, contest, earth day, earth day!!!!, happy earth day!, happy earth day!!!, i hope i win!!!!, i hope i win!!!!!, make everyday earth day, missme wuz here, save the earth today! :), save the earth!, signature panda, ~kat24, ~webkinz4ever44~