Webkinz Insider - Not affiliated with Ganz or Webkinz.

Welcome to WI!

Free Webkinz Codes

Ads  Remove Ads

Become an Insider Insider Subscriber and make these ads go away!
Go Back   Webkinz Insider Forum > WebkinzInsider.Com > Contests & Click-to-Wins

Welcome to the Webkinz Insider Forum forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives limits your access to many of our other features. By joining our FREE community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), removal of some (including the "in-text") ads, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features, such as trading, and entering contests! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Closed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
elphieroxmysox
Webkinz :)

elphieroxmysox is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Fall Room Design Contest on kinzvillenews.com

okay, so in the rules for this contest, which as you can guess is a fall-themed room, it says

Residents of the Province of Quebec, States of New York and Florida are excluded from participation in this Contest.

does this mean that if you live in one of those 3 places that you cannot enter? how do they know if you live there, anyway? ???

---------- elphieroxmysox added 1 Minutes and 42 Seconds later ----------

oh and by the way, here's the link for the rules for the contest. http://www.kinzvillenewz.com/wp-mu/contests/#

Last edited by elphieroxmysox; 11-20-2008 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
elphieroxmysox is offline Female
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
oink
Gifted

naomiglasc is a name known to allnaomiglasc is a name known to allnaomiglasc is a name known to all

Default Re: Fall Room Design Contest on kinzvillenews.com

I can't get to anything but the homepage on that site. Now, GANZ is coppying WI! And yes, if you live in those areas you can't enter.
naomiglasc is offline Female
Old 11-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
i love

webkinzfreak011 has disabled reputation

that is a good point on how would they know, but when you sign up, it asks you where you live!
webkinzfreak011 is offline Female
Old 11-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Gifted

Emloveswebkins wows us all with wonderEmloveswebkins wows us all with wonderEmloveswebkins wows us all with wonderEmloveswebkins wows us all with wonderEmloveswebkins wows us all with wonderEmloveswebkins wows us all with wonderEmloveswebkins wows us all with wonderEmloveswebkins wows us all with wonderEmloveswebkins wows us all with wonderEmloveswebkins wows us all with wonder

Why those places? I live in one of them! That is not fair!
Emloveswebkins is offline Female
Old 11-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
OW! I'm a
Gift Guru

Azriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to behold

Donation Award 

I could tell you how they know where you live but I'm not going to just in case someone gets "ideas" about internet security.

They can tell where your servers are and from there, if you give anyone other pieces of info about you, they can easily find you. That is why, as nice as you want to be to your internet friends you should never give out your name or what school you go to. Even if you trust the person you are giving it to, there are lots of ways for others to view what you write on Forums... for instance, I can go to your Profile and read every post and thread you make. I can get bits of info about one person. It is scary so just be careful.

Once they know what your name is, they can find you because they don't need to search the whole country or state... they search a city. For you high schoolers, there are not that many HS in a given city so it's especially important not to give out identifying information.

Last edited by Azriel; 11-23-2008 at 02:53 PM..
Azriel is offline Female
Old 11-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #6

alleykat is an unknown quantity at this point

ugggggggg so not fair why would they exclude those people and how again would they know that you live there?
alleykat is offline Female
Old 11-27-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
♀ jaxcat ϓ
Gift Guru

jaxcat has disabled reputation

I don't think the form for uploading a picture is working right. It's lagging and takes forever for the window to pop up. When it finally loads, I can select my picture, but it leaves it blank. If I click SUBMIT, it tells me to select an image.
jaxcat is offline Female
Old 11-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
OW! I'm a
Gift Guru

Azriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to beholdAzriel is a splendid one to behold

Donation Award 

View Post Originally Posted by alleykat
ugggggggg so not fair why would they exclude those people and how again would they know that you live there?
They know from your IP address. They can tell where your servers are... or the general vicinity.
Azriel is offline Female
Old 12-10-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
Gift Guru

Learned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with graceLearned Hand wears the mantle of perfection with grace

First of all, the reason they exclude those areas: They, or their lawyers, believe that the laws of those states (or province) do not allow the type of contest or prize they are having. They have to put that restriction on the contest so that they don't get in trouble with the Attorney General of the state in question (or whoever is in a similar position in Quebec).

Second: Will they check to see that you are really not from one of those areas if you enter or win? Almost certainly not. The reason they put that notice there is so that if they are sued they can say "hey, we said that they can't play, it's not our fault that those rascally citizens of your state (or province) won't follow the rules." There are (arcane and legal that I am not going to explain) reasons why they would actually want to keep themselves in the dark as to whether you are a citizen of one of the prohibited areas.

Could they find out where you live? Sort of. There are ways to find out your location by using the information your computer gives them when your computer talks to their computer. However, that information can also be faked, and they sure don't want to get into the business of investigating that nonsense. What they want is a nice little sign they can point to so they can say they set the rules and it is not their fault someone went and broke them. Their interest is not in excluding people, it is in protecting themselves from legal action.

Now, there would be times where a sign like that would have more real force behind it. In certain adult oriented businesses where the law is more likely to come down hard on them, they might go to greater lengths to exclude citizens of an area that they were concerned about. Also, if a tangible prize was going to be delivered to your house they would enforce that restriction. In other words, if the prize was a Playstation, they would not ship it to Quebec.

Although I am a lawyer, do not take any of this as legal advice. I have not researched the issues involved, just given my off the top of the head thoughts.
Learned Hand is offline Male
Old 12-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #10

bromsisa is a name known to allbromsisa is a name known to allbromsisa is a name known to all

I am sorry that some areas are excluded, but this time it is not WW's fault. Nor do I feel that WW is strictly trying to cover themselves for the purpose of a potiential lawsuit. Following the laws is the right thing to do. And they are not in control of the fact that these laws were past for the excluded areas. So I feel that blaming WW is not fair.
bromsisa is offline Female
Closed